Days gone by

Jmp209

I've been looking through some of the old gear my dad and uncles used to hunt with and remembering that these products were some of the best technology of the day. Let's make a list of outdated products and gimmicks that have gone to the wayside. They can either be something you loved and wish was still around or something you can't believe was ever marketed. I'll start with the old string tracker that attached to your stabilizer bushing and would send a line out with your arrow to aid in tracking. So let's hear some retired equipment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hey...I had one of those string trackers. !

One thing often found on older used shotguns is from pre-choke tube days, the adjustable chokes like poly-chokes ( and others) that were installed on the end of the shotgun barrel and adjusted somewhat like a hose nozzle.

They actually worked quite well,  but the knob on the end of the  barrel was unsightly, and they tended to be associated with cheaper " hardware brand" guns like Sears and Montgomery Ward.

Even today they lower the sales value of otherwise desirable older shotguns, like Browning Autos or Winchester Model 12s..They are like " the kiss of death" on a used shotgun as far as value goes, even though they may be perfectly functional.

• Like 1

One thing often found on older used shotguns is from pre-choke tube days, the adjustable chokes like poly-chokes ( and others) that were installed on the end of the shotgun barrel and adjusted somewhat like a hose nozzle.
They actually worked quite well,  but the knob on the end of the  barrel was unsightly, and they tended to be associated with cheaper " hardware brand" guns like Sears and Montgomery Ward.
Even today they lower the sales value of otherwise desirable older shotguns, like Browning Autos or Winchester Model 12s..They are like " the kiss of death" on a used shotgun as far as value goes, even though they may be perfectly functional.

I had a Mossberg 500 with the accu-choke, I sold it to a friend for $100. I am not a smart man...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

A mouth call that made the deer distress blow! I bought it at an outdoors show. I remember thinking at the time," hey I've heard deer make that sound before"! It didn't take long to learn that when I blew that call, deer RAN!!!! ....lol  I still have it somewhere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The old Jon-E hand warmers. Suprised my pants never caught on fire!! lol

I burnt my leg on those more than once , hole in a sleeping bag,  them suckers threw some serious heat.  They had a little slide latch you could light a cigarette from. As a matter of fact I just saw it in my junk drawer the other day.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 11:46 AM, Jmp209 said:

I've been looking through some of the old gear my dad and uncles used to hunt with and remembering that these products were some of the best technology of the day. Let's make a list of outdated products and gimmicks that have gone to the wayside. They can either be something you loved and wish was still around or something you can't believe was ever marketed. I'll start with the old string tracker that attached to your stabilizer bushing and would send a line out with your arrow to aid in tracking. So let's hear some retired equipment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Never heard of that thing until now. Wow, weird! So strange. But some people online say it's awesome. Here it is in a video.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:05 PM, Pygmy said:

Hey. I have a  Remmy 1148 in 16 ga with one on it. Great small game gun but I can trow a slug more accurately by hand...lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Core said:

Never heard of that thing until now. Wow, weird! So strange. But some people online say it's awesome. Here it is in a video.

my cousin used one and it worked great on one deer. Followed the string right to her. Then a buck came is a few days later and the arrow made it about half way to the deer and the arrow flipped in mid air and snapped off the string. appeared to be knotted up inside the spool. 

• Like 4

Ya ..I tossed a bunch of blk buckets over the years...talking to neighbor about the trespassers on our places... He casually  says : My buddy is pissed ..he keeps loosing his seat buckets...I just looked at him and said Really? Maybe you should mention that he wouldn't be loosing them if his a$$  wasn't sitting on them on my property. I'm getting tired of dragging them up the hill....I love the facial expressions before..."Oh, I'll talk to him".

the vapor mask...suppose to end all wet facemasks