Cleaning BlackHorn 209 Powder

BKhunter

Hey All,

I recently bought a bottle of Black Horn 209 powder as I have heard great things about it and am getting fed up with no matter how much I clean my muzzle loader I can never get all the residue out of the barrel and always get some form of build up. I was reading online about how to clean with this powder and some people say use the CVA BP cleaner and some say use your regular old gun cleaner. Not sure which way to go here. Any tips?

BK

36 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Blackhorn is nitro based (the same as your centerfire rifles), you use the same cleaner you would use for your centerfire.

Thanks Rack!

Can I use the CVA BP oil patches or use regular gun oil? Also, Should I use regular gun cleaner to remove any of the residual BP fouling? I keep cleaning and cleaning with the BP cleaners and can never get it all out?

You should use something like Hoppes #9 or similar to clean the fouling and breach plug (it should clean it right out).  The only other thing you might be getting is plastic fouling from the sabots, there are specific solvents for cleaning plastic fouling (the same ones used by trap shooters) that you might want to use but that rarely is a problem with the volume of shooting most black powder shooters do.

I always use the barrel foam ,spray it in and let it sit til it isn't foam any more and start pushing patches til it's clean, then I finish with the CVA presoaked barrel conditioner patches . 

Forgot to add that I run a plastic bristle brush through a couple times between the foam and patches.

Edited by Jeremy K

Do not use soap and water with blackhorn, it is a nitro based powder.  You would never do that with your centerfire rifle.  The text below is right from blackhorns website.

Use ONLY oil-based solvents. DO NOT use black powder cleaners that are water-based. We recommend Blackhorn 209 Solvent by Montana X-Treme.

• Like 1

I shoot Blackhorn 209 out of my T/C Triumph rifle. I use regular Hoppes #9 to clean it and it removes all the 209 residue without any problem. Just use the same procedure you would use if you were cleaning a modern centerfire rifle and it will come out shiny clean.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I clean and brush swab and brush clean and brush and swab and brush. get the idea... never never get the swab to come out clean even after day one i quit went to bed  then work the next day and back to the smoke pole clean and brush swab and brush still dirty. these things are a pain in the rump. but the sure do group well out past 100 yards. its worth the effort