Seeing bucks but no scrapes/rubs

OldNewbie

I hunt a ~30 acre patch that is part pines and part hardwoods, mainly red oaks. I have seen a spike and a 4-point buck wander by on several occasions, both on camera and while sitting in my blind. However, I have not found any scrapes or rubs anywhere on the property. I do see any number of old rubs that are scarred over from previous years, but nothing fresh. Is there still a chance an older buck will come around during the rut? There are plenty of does in the tract.

Just saw my first legitimate scrape of the year today and a couple of fresh rubs. Nothing like I have seen in the past this late in the month. I can only assume it is going to get better since the farmers are finishing up picking their crops.

I have hunted 8w in the past and it is definitely a hard area to hunt. I always found it to be best around the week of Thanksgiving....but just like everything else things change

I think the warmer temps have concentrated alot of buck movement to after dark. Since they're all grouping together in fields, pastures,& meadows at night they can keep good tabs on the does.
I like finding scrapes tucked away in secluded spots that border thick cover. That tells me that a buck could be bedding nearby and will feel more secure checking the scrape in daylight.

Last evening while glassing one of our properties, I watched a mature buck work a scrape for 10 minutes, then head to the next one down the field edge. He passed right by 2 of our stands in the process. I was pretty bummed I wasnt in one of those stands, but it was good to see him working like that.

" If you have a couple mature bucks you will have rubs and scrapes. Young bucks are a little later to the game. "

Its actually the other way around. Young bucks tend to act on the hormones first, as they have less experience with the whole process than the older ones do.

Last evening while glassing one of our properties, I watched a mature buck work a scrape for 10 minutes, then head to the next one down the field edge. He passed right by 2 of our stands in the process. I was pretty bummed I wasnt in one of those stands, but it was good to see him working like that.

" If you have a couple mature bucks you will have rubs and scrapes. Young bucks are a little later to the game. "
Its actually the other way around. Young bucks tend to act on the hormones first, as they have less experience with the whole process than the older ones do.

I completely disagree when it comes to making sign. As far as chasing yes I agree. I think rubbing and scraping is learned behavior. All the areas I have hunted this year where I know there are mature bucks there is sign where I don't think a mature buck is there is no sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think it very much depends on where you are and what the deer ratio is like. I have a camera right now where there have been 7 bucks on the cam since September and yet not a single rub or scrape that I've found. On the other hand I have a different camera 35 miles away with 4 bucks and the woods are torn up with rubs/scrapes... I don't rely heavily on buck sign. It can be very deceiving how many bucks are around yet a lack of sign. Every area I hunt seems different in this regard...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I completely disagree when it comes to making sign. As far as chasing yes I agree. I think rubbing and scraping is learned behavior. All the areas I have hunted this year where I know there are mature bucks there is sign where I don't think a mature buck is there is no sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had pictures for well over a month of young bucks hitting scrapes, and lots of small rubs on light brush and small trees for two weeks at our place. The mature bucks have just started using the scrapes regularly over the past couple of weeks.

Checked stands 2 weeks ago on property.2 scrapes no rubs.this past sunday after got out of stand.walked around a bit.still no rubs but 4 scrapes along patch of pines that werent there previous week.will update this weekend when go back out

Edited by doebuck1234