Brand Spanking new

Rookie1226

So I am brand new to hunting, my dad wasn’t into hunting and I have no opportunity for knowledge transfer from anyone that I am close to really. That’s where you all come in. The purpose for this post really is to gain knowledge, learn things that you wish you knew the first few times you pursued game. What to pack, what to leave at home, advice on hunting public land for a first timer etc. I have done bounds of research and am taking this all very seriously. Any help would be appreciated. Also, one more specific question. Can you camp/hunt anywhere in NYS parks (That allow hunting) or do you need to camp on the designated camp grounds? I have obtained all required licenses and tags etc., looking more for field advice.

• Like 1

Welcome! I'm also the first in my family since maybe the 19th century to hunt (I'm assuming some ancestor did). My first 20-25 times out deer hunting were all alone (first with another person will be this weekend in fact).

Lots of guides online on what to pack. One of the largest surprises to me actually was how damned hard it is to drag deer. It probably doesn't help that the spot I hunt is significantly lower than my car so that the drag is 90% uphill.

Public land it really depends where you are. Some is pressured, but much of it is not, at least in bow season (I haven't tried in gun yet).

Actually I will give one pointer: Bring a machete. It adds a few pounds but I keep one on my pack permanently now. Some of the brush is quite literally, no exaggeration, just impassable without a machete. If a deer runs into it and you don't have one, you can't retrieve it.

Where are you located? Some people are willing to help out locally in person.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

Thanks for the response. I am in Suffolk County. I will primarily be hunting with a rifle. Have been shooting for years and know my way around a bolt gun. The websites seem to have really large lists to pack and suggest a place to buy all of it, pretty "convenient"... machete is a good idea, thanks. looking for more must have items that aren't obvious to a beginner. 

Welcome aboard. You should call to get information about camping on state land and public parks. They all have different rules. Most you can camp for a few days with no permit, some a parking permit, others are only open sup up to sundown. Also make sure you can use a rifle in the area you plan to hunt. Just because some state and public land in in areas that allow the use of a rifle, have separate regs about it. Again, make calls. Also, you cannot cut brush or use screw in steps on public land, so no need to carry a machete.

Spare knife, spare flashlight, batteries, a piece of rope or an actual strap to drag a deer can be a huge amount of help. Zip ties to attach the tag to the deer. TP! Many people forget to bring TP. Water to rinse your hands off after gutting a deer.

Besides the basics, you plan your gear around the area you hunt. 

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookie1226 said:

Thanks for the response. I am in Suffolk County. I will primarily be hunting with a rifle. Have been shooting for years and know my way around a bolt gun. The websites seem to have really large lists to pack and suggest a place to buy all of it, pretty "convenient"... machete is a good idea, thanks. looking for more must have items that aren't obvious to a beginner. 

Well if you hunted with a bow you'd have access to a lot of land in suffolk county. If you have a shotgun then you can hunt the shotgun season in LI that starts in January. Try looking into the catskill area. Thousands upon thousands of acres of state land up there and some of it doesn't get hunted much. You can definitely find some low pressure areas up there. 

• Like 2

Not hunting with a rifle in Suffolk haha. A buddy of mine has some private land upstate near Binghamton that I plan to hunt but when that isn't available I plan on roughing it on some public land for a few days at a time. I have no problems making long road trips dbHunterNY. Would love to get out west one day and welcome knowledge from all areas and will gladly make the trip. Thanks Rob... noted. 

On 10/20/2016 at 3:44 PM, Rookie1226 said:

So I am brand new to hunting, my dad wasn’t into hunting and I have no opportunity for knowledge transfer from anyone that I am close to really. That’s where you all come in. The purpose for this post really is to gain knowledge, learn things that you wish you knew the first few times you pursued game. What to pack, what to leave at home, advice on hunting public land for a first timer etc. I have done bounds of research and am taking this all very seriously. Any help would be appreciated. Also, one more specific question. Can you camp/hunt anywhere in NYS parks (That allow hunting) or do you need to camp on the designated camp grounds? I have obtained all required licenses and tags etc., looking more for field advice.

My son and I went out for his first time ever and my first in over 20 years.  It was a small piece of land (just over 700 acres) and I knew we wouldn't be far from the vehicles so we packed light.  used only pockets and no backpack.  Only thing on our shoulders were rifles and folding chair.  Our total equipment list:  6x8 plastic tarp (each), roll of twine (each), 25' paracord (each), fixed blade knife (each), fire steel (each), bottle of water (each), protein bar and bag of beef jerky (each), small first aid kit (each), few pairs of nytrile gloves (each), (2) hand warmer (each).

We were dressed for the weather with several layers and water proof outers and hats.  Our selection was specifically taken for the environment and weather conditions. 

• Like 1

Not hunting with a rifle in Suffolk haha. A buddy of mine has some private land upstate near Binghamton that I plan to hunt but when that isn't available I plan on roughing it on some public land for a few days at a time. I have no problems making long road trips dbHunterNY. Would love to get out west one day and welcome knowledge from all areas and will gladly make the trip. Thanks Rob... noted. 

Closest places to you to hunt with a rifle are sterling forest and storm king state park, no camping in either but plenty of cheap motels near by. You can also check out the, neversink dep land In Sullivan county, again can't park but plenty of cheap motels... there is also a park in craigsmoore I forget the the name not a terrible drive for you at all. Any help questions or info you need id be happy to help. If you get one near the Catskills and need help reach out if I'm up that weekend I'd be glad to help....... also look into the bashakill wma and there is some land in parksville as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Closest places to you to hunt with a rifle are sterling forest and storm king state park, no camping in either but plenty of cheap motels near by. You can also check out the, neversink dep land In Sullivan county, again can't park but plenty of cheap motels... there is also a park in craigsmoore I forget the the name not a terrible drive for you at all. Any help questions or info you need id be happy to help. If you get one near the Catskills and need help reach out if I'm up that weekend I'd be glad to help....... also look into the bashakill wma and there is some land in parksville as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if you need to get DEP Access Permits to hunt DEP land?

Yes you need an access permit to hunt DEP land. Here is the direct link.  You will be able to print out the permit immediately.

https://a826-web01.nyc.gov/recpermitapp/

Get a Butt-Out tool, rubber gloves, extra flashlight, tie wraps  and a pen.  Advil also good to carry baby wipes for many uses.  I just purchased an external battery charger for my phone ($12 on amazon).  Batteries go faster in the cold temps!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vcollaco said:

Yes you need an access permit to hunt DEP land. Here is the direct link.  You will be able to print out the permit immediately.

https://a826-web01.nyc.gov/recpermitapp/

Get a Butt-Out tool, rubber gloves, extra flashlight, tie wraps  and a pen.  Advil also good to carry baby wipes for many uses.  I just purchased an external battery charger for my phone ($12 on amazon).  Batteries go faster in the cold temps!

Thanks for the link!

Welcome and good Luck...

Main things...2 good pens and a clear idea of exactly what unit and the TOWN and County your in...Now that sounds obvious...but believe me it can and does get confusing in certain areas of certain units, Cut month and day out all you want...if the tag isn't filled out and your caught gutting it by a officer he will ticket you...they love those simple tickets...and loosing a pen in the leafs easier than one may think. A head lamp...it's a PITA to gut with a pen light in your mouth. Compass or GPS app and a extra phone charge thingy...yes I said thingy..lol

If your camping an orange plastic roll up sled punch holes along the sides just big enough to use para cord to lash it around your hog tied deer to help drag it out...use it under your sleeping bag to help with moisture...Also webbing is easier on you for dragging deer than rope is...like the tree straps given with the less expensive tree stand harnesses. You know the rest, guys have mentioned. spare charger though...cold eats battery strength and always extra dry socks and gloves. if boots got wet...2 bread bags over dry socks and your good to go again...