How much would you spend on a hunting trip

LJC

If I could go on a guided deer hunt in the $1500 to $2000, one that would up my odds at having a fighting chance of shooting a "buck of a lifetime" I would probably do it. I just don't want to do it alone and my hunting buddy that says he would like to do it doesn't have the money right now. I really don't have a passion for any species other than whitetail but who knows what the future will bring...

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

It depends on whose money I'm spending...

Good answer Pygmy!

Any answer I give will be biased, since I run a home-based business along with a regular job to pay for hunting & fishing excursions. It's all dependent, if I had a burning desire to kill a Dall sheep, go to Africa, or a trophy elk in Utah, I'd find a way to come up with the $10k, but I don't. I've spent as much as $5k a few years ago to go to Newfoundland, but that's about as high as I'd ever be willing to go. I prefer to take a couple smaller trips a year (Georgia for hogs, anywhere for turkeys, Canada fly-in fishing, Texas for a deer hunt, etc) than blow it all on a 1-week hunt.

• Like 2

Whitetail, Coues Deer, maybe Mountain Lion, maybe Elk.

Already have plenty of nice whitetail, have elk planned for a few years from now. Mountain lion is potential. Really would love to do a moose hunt either in usa or international. Anyone know the best spots to buy preference pts for either goat or sheep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Any recommendations for a fun hunt within the 5k range? Just got back from an awesome Mulie & Antelope combo and the itch is stronger than ever to go hunt more awesome stuff

I think you can still find a moose hunt in Newfoundland for under $5k, and you don't need to go on a "party" system like they do in Quebec & Ontario.

Already have plenty of nice whitetail, have elk planned for a few years from now. Mountain lion is potential. Really would love to do a moose hunt either in usa or international. Anyone know the best spots to buy preference pts for either goat or sheep?

Check out bowsite or monster muleys forums, but I think with point creep it's nearly impossible to draw a tag for sheep or goat. You're better off just paying the $ to hunt them in canada with no points. I can recommend Babine Outfitters for Mtn Goat (you will get one, and they charge in CDN, so the USD goes far right now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I hear goat and sheep is either Idaho or Utah are your best odds.....Check out GoHunt.com sometime you can find codes for a free month. You can check out all the western states and their draw offs per species and get tons of useful info. Great site in my opinion.

• Like 1

Whatever odds that you find in the lower 48 for goats or sheep will be slim at best, preference points or not.

Last I checked goat hunting was still relatively reasonable in Alaska, and over the counter in most areas.

Sheep ( Dall)  is also over the counter in many units in AK, but the $$$$$ are substantially higher than goat hunts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Any recommendations for a fun hunt within the 5k range? Just got back from an awesome Mulie & Antelope combo and the itch is stronger than ever to go hunt more awesome stuff

I know quit a few folks that have gone on the Montana Elk hunts that we have at our QDMA Banquet every year. This is not a frilly lodge hunt. It is horse ride in and spike camp. usually goes for between 3,500 and 4,000. air, tips  and license on top of that. I'd bet it is around your number. 

• Like 1

Biz....In 1994, I did exactly that  on a guided,  fully outfitted caribou hunt in Northwest Territories.

The camp took 10 hunters at a time and I got a good price break for filling the entire camp.

It was the most elaborate, exotic hunt I have ever been on..Great food, genuine INUIT guides ( who were a hoot), thousands of caribou and world class light tackle fishing for lake trout, northern pike and grayling.

Everybody killed 2 big bulls that week, several of which made B&C for Central Canada Barren Ground caribou.. Two of the guys even shot wolverines.  Incredible hunt.  We were hunting about 50 miles south of the Arctic Circle.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Biz....In 1994, I did exactly that  on a guided,  fully outfitted caribou hunt in Northwest Territories.

The camp took 10 hunters at a time and I got a good price break for filling the entire camp.

It was the most elaborate, exotic hunt I have ever been on..Great food, genuine INUIT guides ( who were a hoot), thousands of caribou and world class light tackle fishing for lake trout, northern pike and grayling.

Everybody killed 2 big bulls that week, several of which made B&C for Central Canada Barren Ground caribou.. Two of the guys even shot wolverines.  Incredible hunt.  We were hunting about 50 miles south of the Arctic Circle.

Nice! always wanted a wolverine or badger to add to the trophy room.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Damn, most group type hunts I see about are like herding cats.....impressive.

I could hardly get 4 guys to agree on a simple Quebec fly out fishing trip and always had one problem member who would screw up the works. Gave up on worrying about a partner and have done every trip alone for hunting except for two (muledeer and one caribou trip). 

Did the winter Bou' drive up hunt a couple times on my own; long drives and those washboard roads did suck. Broke a brake line in an older truck and went a long way with no power assist. Good times!

Spent a fair amount on travelling to hunt and don't regret any of it......

Good deals out there for those willing to research and be ready to act when something pops-up.

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky, Dan.....The NWT trip was one of those rare trips that went without a single hitch, either on our end or on the outfitter's. If was my hunt of a lifetime, for several reasons..

In 1998 we did a Quebec fly in with 13 guys  ( for 2 camps)....Once again, no problems on our end, but the outfitter had problems keeping up his end...He did not own his own airplanes and when we needed to be moved due to lack of caribou,  the guy that he  chartered his planes from did not have any available.

After that, I made sure that my outfitter owned his own airplanes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I guess I was lucky, Dan.....The NWT trip was one of those rare trips that went without a single hitch, either on our end or on the outfitter's. If was my hunt of a lifetime, for several reasons..

In 1998 we did a Quebec fly in with 13 guys  ( for 2 camps)....Once again, no problems on our end, but the outfitter had problems keeping up his end...He did not own his own airplanes and when we needed to be moved due to lack of caribou,  the guy that he  chartered his planes from did not have any available.

After that, I made sure that my outfitter owned his own airplanes.

Probably more skill than luck.:drinks:

I'm just in awe cause I couldn't come up with 1 guy to book a hunt with, let alone double digits!^_^

Always another question to add when looking at hunts.

Spooked at least  2 deer walking in the woods the other day almost every year I see these deer always walking in ,in this  one spot I hunt  and on those days once I set up they never show up .or I will see them across the road on land I can't hunt  same with these  turkeys lol  

20151023_090141-1.jpg

7 minutes ago, LJC said:

Spooked at least  2 deer walking in the woods the other day almost every year I see these deer always walking in ,in this  one spot I hunt  and on those days once I set up they never show up .or I will see them across the road on land I can't hunt  same with these  turkeys lol  

20151023_090141-1.jpg

That's a paved road. Where was this pic taken? Is that where you hunt? Walking in off a paved road?

20 minutes ago, ....rob said:

That's a paved road. Where was this pic taken? Is that where you hunt? Walking in off a paved road?

In the woods off that road .  I go in woods come back out  get in the  car and the turkey decided to show up lol as I'm about to drive off  . 

Edited by LJC

My Mulie DIY to Montana  , air fair , deer elk combo lic. ($900) And camping  out for a week, plus processing way less the 2k. My buddy drove  over from Seattle so we used his p/u .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2