How much would you spend on a hunting trip

LJC

How much would you spend on a hunting trip .

Depends on the hunt, the species, and most importantly what I can easily afford.

I've been on several out of state/country hunts- 4 in one year actually. But now I'm married, own a home, etc. so it's been a few years. My priorities have changed, but I keep buying preference points so that when I want to go again someday I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Usually costs about fifteen in diesel to drive to my spot and back. So that's about it 

Yea I hear you so far maybe a few hundred for gas food and hotels self hunt to the caskills  would do a elk moose something like that but hard to get orginzed with  hunting body's to come along . 

I don't really want to pay for a hunt. I may pay money to go hunting but I really have not been into the guided stuff. I travel to hunt with friends so I have spent gas and out of state tags and hotels....Been to Idaho on a friends 700 acres twice, down to Georgis pig hunting. I am going gator hunting next year in Georgia. So I may have spent $1000-$1500 a couple times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I did a couple winter caribou hunts in Quebec when the herd had good numbers, that ran around $1800 i believe. Thinkin about trying a DIY elk hunt in Colorado one of these years, that should stay around $2000 with gas and everything I think. For now that's about the max for me.

You just gave me a new topic to start what's the best state to go to if you want to do a no guide hunting trip out side of new York  for deer but also for elk moose caribou just any big game 

I haven't paid-to-hunt in decades. The last one was back in the 1980s when four of us did a do-it-yourself canoe/camping moose hunt up in Shining Tree Ontario, Canada. My share was somewhere around $500 and we all had quite a bit of moose meat to divvy up.

Now, I open up the back door and start hunting my way up the hill. That doesn't cost me a whole lot.

I did a couple winter caribou hunts in Quebec when the herd had good numbers, that ran around $1800 i believe. Thinkin about trying a DIY elk hunt in Colorado one of these years, that should stay around $2000 with gas and everything I think. For now that's about the max for me.

How long ago was that? The cheapest caribou hunts I have found were minimum 10k+

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The winter caribou hunts are much less expensive.

However, the chances of getting a good rack are much less, it's a LOOONG drive, often on snow covered roads, and it can be colder than a well digger's butt.

Fly in  hunts in late August and September when you have a good chance of a wallhanger, are starting at about  6K and going up.

Probably the the least expensive  way to get a good bull now is a DIY Alaska hunt, but those take a lot of research , planning, and require that you have the skills and gear   to camp  in the wilderness and butcher and pack your own meat, capes, etc.

It is also more logistically difficult and expensive to bring your meat home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

That's because u are looking at fall hunts, the winter hunts most of the really big bulls dropped their racks already. We shot decent caribou, no monsters but good eating. I looked the other day I believe the winter hunts are still around $2500

Friend mine did a fly-out self-guided hunt in Alaska.  With his bow he got a nice caribou

I think he paid like $1200 don't remember exactly this was over 20 years ago and a lost contact with the guy . May have been less don't no about getting in one of those little float plane bush planes they use up there . 

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The winter caribou hunts are much less expensive.

However, the chances of getting a good rack are much less, it's a LOOONG drive, often on snow covered roads, and it can be colder than a well digger's butt.

Fly in  hunts in late August and September when you have a good chance of a wallhanger, are starting at about  6K and going up.

Probably the the least expensive  way to get a good bull now is a DIY Alaska hunt, but those take a lot of research , planning, and require that you have the skills and gear   to camp  in the wilderness and butcher and pack your own meat, capes, etc.

It is also more logistically difficult and expensive to bring your meat home.

when I went to Northern Quebec it was the first week in December. 20 below for a high and a 30 hour drive up. The last day and a half was on slippery snow covered roads that were grooved from the grader blades they plowed with. like driving on a wash board. 4 wheel drive and had to carry extra gas to be able to make it to the next gas station. 

Twenty years ago the Mulchatna Herd was in it's heyday. You could fly right out of Anchorage and reach the Mulchatna in about two hours.

Populations are way down now  in the Mulchatna Drainage.  That means more flying time and more money, because the herds are farther away.  The last few years much of the DIY hunting has been done out of Kotzebue...

20 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

when I went to Northern Quebec it was the first week in December. 20 below for a high and a 30 hour drive up. The last day and a half was on slippery snow covered roads that were grooved from the grader blades they plowed with. like driving on a wash board. 4 wheel drive and had to carry extra gas to be able to make it to the next gas station. 

They do that crap in ottawa as well. Nothing says pitiful snow clearing budget like clearing a very major thoroughfare with landscaping equipment. 

You guys ought to consider newfoundland with its moose, though getting the meat back is going to be a real problem.

I've always dreamed of a whitetail hunt in one of the "Huge Buck" areas of the US and Canada. A western Elk hunt. Brown bear in Alaska. Or an African safari. But I put my family ahead of my whitetail dreams and invested in property we could enjoy together. No, I'll never shoot a buck over 150" on that land but the memories made there will last me and my family a lifetime. But I'm still young! So ya just never know where I may end up hunting, before it's all said and done! And it doesn't cost anything to dream!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Any recommendations for a fun hunt within the 5k range? Just got back from an awesome Mulie & Antelope combo and the itch is stronger than ever to go hunt more awesome stuff

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Whitetail, Coues Deer, maybe Mountain Lion, maybe Elk.