Why do you go for bigger bucks?

stoneam2006

I'm not ashamed to say I hunt mature bucks first. The challenge is the reason. So I'm a trophy hunter first by choice and a meat hunter second because I like venison. 

MY son and I have both vowed to see if we can grow some bigger bucks on the 100 acres and can say that in the third season we have seen bigger bucks each year on camera and from the stand. A few of the neighboring properties practice similar ways with one saying he has 4 different mature bucks on camera. 

I always have gun season to get my venison. 

• Like 2

Hang Em High, I want to congratulate you on a nice collection of racks! As I have said, ALL deer are trophies! Yours included! Which one of your trophies means the most to you? One of those big beautiful 8 points? That's really cool! But consider this, somewhere, someone has pictures of, or a mount of, a small spike buck. And that spike buck means every bit as much, to them, as your biggest "trophy" does to you! Even if they have killed something WAY bigger than you have!  So you see, a trophy, could really be anything, from a doe fawn to the next B and C world record! I really hope you see where I'm coming from with this. But sadly, you may not.

• Like 5

LOL Wow you guys are beating this guy up BAD! I have to defend him and say most of these bucks are 2 1/2 based on just rack size not 1 1/2.  There might be 1 maybe two at 1 1/2 but most 2 1/2.  I wouldn't consider them mature but decent NY bucks by most standards.

They are great bucks I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't be proud....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is what I have the biggest issue with.....Was your first buck you ever shot a so called Mature Whitetail? You have never in your life shot 1.5 yr old buck...even when you were 12 and out with your father? I guess if you haven't than awesome for you...
I have killed some 1.5 yr old deer and I was super excited to get them....I mean beyond excited...knees knocking...shaking...just super pumped...Then if I came on here and was basically told why did I shoot that little       *$%#@ deer...That would really bother me....we need more hunters to keep the tradition alive. Not belittling the ones that are out there. What point does that prove? Good for you, you have killed some beautiful deer. I will admit i wish my trophy room looked like that. Doesn't mean i wouldn't be happy for the guy that was excited about whatever deer he shot...

I get that way with every deer that walks by even ones I can't get shots at. I pray that it never goes away.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not ashamed to say I hunt mature bucks first. The challenge is the reason. So I'm a trophy hunter first by choice and a meat hunter second because I like venison. 

MY son and I have both vowed to see if we can grow some bigger bucks on the 100 acres and can say that in the third season we have seen bigger bucks each year on camera and from the stand. A few of the neighboring properties practice similar ways with one saying he has 4 different mature bucks on camera. 

I always have gun season to get my venison. 

Here's the thing about your statement...You were able to say all of that without once demeaning the choices other hunters make. Without saying that because that is yours and your neighbors choice,it should be EVERYONE choice. You to me aren't a "Trophy Hunter" ,your just a hunter doing his own thing. Kudos

• Like 5

i like to challenge myself with older deer.... but i would not hesitate to shoot a 130'1.5 year old if they existed i really have a fascination with larger racks. i use to measure success by tags filled regardless of size obviously a big buck was always the main objective after about my 50th deer and wall full of scrub racks. i realized this way of hunting wasint sustainable for my area an if i wanted bigger bucks and quality hunting  i had to let the small ones walk and give them a chance to grow. it took years for me and my crew to realize we were the reason deer were becoming scarce .. it was as if we loved hunting them so much we almost exterminated them when the DEC gives you 5-7 tags and you hunt with 5 buddys that are killers(not wally'os) it sure beat the hell out of the deer herd.. now i get more enjoyment out of chasing the biggest deer on the property and not settling for less and right now its a 3.5 mid 120s 8pt. not a monster by most standards but he is the biggest one i have at the moment if i see one bigger i will hold out for the bigger one.

.. i want the best deer my area can produce anything else i would not be satisfied with taking its life..

i believe every deer is a trophy to someone i remember a small six point got me so exited i about  myself.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
inappropriate language, plese see the forum TOS
  • Like 1

Hang um high  Just wanted to add  that there are many factors involved in why some guys are shooting different size deer such as time able to spend in the woods . if you like to stalk walk and hunt or just old school  sit on a rock and hunt or use a pop up blind use a permanent blind us a climber us a hang on stand hunt public land hunt private land hunt farm land and the type of terrain cover there is on the land the  deer per sq mile in that area . Lots of no hunting zones in the area . Xct.  not everyone is as lucky to live in the zone that produces  the biggest racks or be able to drive there  from across the state so chill out with your speaches of I'm a  Superior Hunter . That's totally subjective . 

Personally my favorite way to hunt is spot stalk or tracking in the snow .

On a large track of state land 

Love it .

Just staying in one spot in a stand or blind all day long  I get tired of it pretty fast  i like moving around doing  it old school even if it's harder . Or a good old fashioned deer drive . I don't care if it's harder its  just a better time to me .

Edited by LJC

17 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still don't get why this all started over Elmo's deer being called 1/2 year old. There is no way that his deer was born this year and had spikes and that wacky base both of which that came thru the skin. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1/2 year old bucks are button bucks at most????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we've had button bucks get bigger and equal the weight and size of decent doe.  they also had hard little spikes like his did.  also going in line that shawnhu and elmo said it had a bigger than expected body for the area it's possible it was a yearling buck with broken off antlers.  One year we had a 2.5 yr old buck get its a** handed to it by a bigger one.  had a good sized rack for 2.5 with 6 on top but pencil thin mass.  it got both sides snapped off close at the bases.  one side was barely legal (3") and the other side less.

Thanks for all the responses fellas, I know this subject turned into a sensitive subject- a lot of guys out there do not like hearing others opinion. But I know a lot of people are ok with it and learn from it, so I will reiterate and be more specific this time- so everyone can understand my view point.

In my opinion- no deer small enough you can pull out with 1 hand should EVER be shot, we all know what the yearlings look like. They deserve some time on this earth and a chance to mature enough to defend them selves the next year.

Yearling button bucks should not be shot- why not just shoot a doe ?? Shoot a mature doe- get more meat and let that buck grow a rack the following year, so you can see what he kind of potential that buck is going to have and you can make an ethical decision on what you want to do ! 

I am glad to see the dynamic of comments changing and more people agreeing with what I am saying, I would think almost all hunters agree with this except the people that are told to go right and then go left just out to spite ! 

I think its about time to get off this repudiative subject, glad we all had a chance to view our points. As I sit here holding my 2 week old baby girl, I say LET THOSE BABIES LIVE THIS SEASON ! Good luck everyone, I will be heading up to the Southerner this weekend with a group of 5 others.

• Like 1

Yearling button bucks should not be shot- why not just shoot a doe ?? Shoot a mature doe- get more meat and let that buck grow a rack the following year, so you can see what he kind of potential that buck is going to have and you can make an ethical decision on what you want to do ! 

And so you can shoot them at 1 1/2 and call them mature.

• Like 2

Oh where to start! HEH while your bucks are nice, after all your self greatness propaganda I woulda thought you'd shot a deer over 3.5 years old! Second, educate yourself on a age. Elmo's deer was a 1.5 with broken antlers, not that it should matter, just proved my point.
Points also do not equal age. I have shot deer with 1 to 10 points at 1.5 years old. And my biggest a 5.5 had only 7.
Where you hunt has a lot to do with what you see.

Myself I would prefer to take the first nice doe I see or a solid buck. My primary goal is meat. Some say we don't NEED the meat but I disagree. I am not poor. I can buy meat, but why would I want to as I want primo, no steroid, no antibiotic, no caged, top quality and in my mind better tasting meat. I want a little bigger deer for one reason more meat!

Now my area is quite different than a lot of you. I have no farm land, nor oak or beech flats or ridges. I usually have more bucks in shooting range than does over a season as my areas are travel corridors. I have passes numerous fawns and 6 1.5 yr olds this season so far. If I get down to the last week of bow though look out. I need 3 deer for the freezer yet!

I wanted to add, some put almost mystical powers on a big mature buck but a good many of them die being really stupid just like a 1.5 year old with its nose up a does ass! Just because a buck is mature in no way means that it was a more difficult endeavor! Old mama does with a bow can be quite the challenge!

• Like 2

Heres my honest input about my hunting choices.  I love venison, but have always been fascinated with animals since I was a little kid.  I was always especially fascinated with animals who could live a long life without being seen by humans very often, like coyotes, bears, and BIG bucks.  Not sure why but I was always fascinated with it.  Also, I wont hide it, I always have a difficult time pulling that trigger.  I know I will utilize the animal completely, and in each case I have the horns or shoulder mounts for looking back.  My first deer was a spike, hes shoulder mounted, 2nd deer a small basket 6, he is skull cut mounted on an old piece of barn board, and my last deer was a nice heavy 7 pointer that is shoulder mounted, all deer were 6 years apart, its just how its turned out.  I guess I wait for bigger deer NOW, since my last deer in 2014, because of the feeling I got knowing I harvested an older deer, I didnt feel as bad knowing he had a longer life than my past 2 deer.  I personally have never harvested a doe because I have only ever seen them with other does, and again won't hide the fact that I can't bring myself to harvest a doe that is with other does to myself having guilt.  That is just me, I have zero issues with other people doing what I can't bring myself to do, like I said it is just me. Half the enjoyment is just being out in the woods, it is something my dad and I have always done, trail cam pics are also a huge enjoyment catching pics of animals you never get to actually see with your eyes.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Fletch, mind if I send you a PM? Your hunting area sounds familiar with mine....and I am having a very tough time figuring out where to sit.  I rarely see deer here, even trail cam pics are far between. Thanks

Sure anytime, my big secret is stubbornness lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...