Quickest Hunt I've Ever Had

Elmo

My wife took a new job and it's kicking her butt.  I've been having to look after our son since my wife has been bringing work home constantly and is now always tired.  So I haven't been able to hunt much all season.  I went opening day of bow season for an all day sit and one afternoon sit this whole season.

Yesterday (10/23), I went for my second all day sit of the season and I thought it wasn't going to go well since we got there a little late and sun was just breaking the horizon as I was hiking in.  I hiked into my spot (ground, natural cover), dropped my bag on the ground, set my bow down, removed the quiver from my bow set that on the ground as well.  Right after wards, I literally stood up, put my fist on my hips, sighed, and thought to myself, "well, today is going to suck" and boom...out of the corner of my I saw a deer coming down the game trail.

I immediately ducked behind the tree, grab my bow with my left hand and trying to reach my quiver with my right hand (barely reaching it with the tips of my fingers).  I quietly removed an arrow and nocked it.  As the deer approached closer, I drew back but stayed behind cover which is two trees that forms a "V".  The deer walks down the path but comes to a split in the game trail and stops...for what seem like an eternity.  Twice, my arms got tired and I undrew the bow.  I was afraid that I was going to be too fatigued by the time the deer gave me an opening so I decided not to draw until it decided with path to go.  Path A gives me a 20 yards shot for sure.  Path B was something like a 40 yard shot.  I ranged it a some time ago.  The deer of course decided on Path B but again, stops after a few steps.  Where's the range finder.  Damn!  It's still in my bag.  Luckily, it was unzipped.  I reached in, pulled out my ranger finder and ranged a tree further down the path at 43 yards.  All while completely behind cover.  I then leaned to the right and the deer had moved a little further down but is not slightly blocked by a smaller tree and it's head was up.  Damn again.  I duck back behind cover.  I lean the my left and I see the deer's tail.  Okay, it's still there.  Wait a little more.  Lean to the right again and again, deer is standing behind the tree with its head up.  Duck back behind tree.  Okay.  Lean left again to see the tail and the tail was gone!  Craps.  I lean right and the deer was right there...it had moved a few feet past the tree and has its head down in the grass.  I drew...aim right behind the shoulders with my 40 yard pin and let it fly.

I heard a "thunk" and the deer immediately turned 180 and ran over hill.  I didn't see an arrow sticking out but then again, after a 180 turn, I'm looking at the other side as it ran away.  So limping or anything.  I was like "Damn!  I missed!"  So went down to where it stood to retrieve my arrow and I could find my arrow.  Huh?  If I missed then the arrow should have been buried in this dirt mound and tree that was right behind it.  No arrow.  I looked some more and found some drops of red blood and white hair.  Now I went from feeling bad that I missed to feeling bad that I injured it and it ran off with my arrow.  I followed the trail for only a few feet and now I'm seeing tons of red blood.  After some more thought, I figure...if it hit the brisket (due to the white hair) my arrow should have gone right through.  For it to get stuck and have that much blood, it must have been a pretty solid hit.  I backed off.  Now my mindset has changed to this being a day of tracking.  I hiked back to my car to drop off some of my gear in preparation for some serious tracking.  To get to my car, I would have not have to pass through where the deer went but I would have to at least circle around it.  As I walking around it, I saw a piece of white in some brown brush.  Initially I thought it was a white plastic shopping bag but then I though that might be my deer.  I decided I'm not going to risk pushing anything so I continued towards my car.  I sat there until an hour had passed.  At one hour on the dot, I got out of my car and hiked back in the direction of where I initially shot at the deer but I pass by that white shopping bag again and I kept staring at it.  It's been over an hour now so why not?  I went towards that white color and there it was...my deer.  I arrived at my spot on 7:10.  I shot the deer at 7:28.

Turns out:

1. It wasn't a doe as I initially thought but a spike.  For a spike it was pretty hefty....for Westchester standards.

2. I didn't miss.  I was pretty much dead on.  Arrow hit maybe an inch or 2 above where I was aiming at.

3. Not sure why the red blood and white hair.  I took out both lungs, broke one rib, and it was a complete pass through.

4. I never did find my arrow.

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 32

So happy for you Elmo! Congratulations! Given your limited hunting time, you really did an awesome job sealing the deal! And what a great shot! At a little over 40 yards, under pressure, it could not have been better! Great job buddy, way to go!!!!

• Like 1

Great story and deer...have to say Biz is right that base looks too big to be a spike,though short enough to doe tag...looks like you could have an older than thought deer there. No wonder you thought a doe. Nice job.

Maybe a rare doe with antlers? Though I assume Elmo would have noticed it had no male junk when gutting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk