Doe Bleat Calls

nybuckboy

I have tried every doe bleat call while I could see a doe. Primos Can, Woodwise Hot Mamma, Woodwise Fawn Call. They never seem to care one way or the other. On a plus note I have never had them run off from the calls either. Just surprised there is no reaction at all. The don't even look my way...

• Like 1

I use bleat cans by Primos and use my mouth.  Have had good luck with it.  Works in combination with buck grunt. 

This guy was called in with a combination of doe bleets and a buck grunt.

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/calderone-buck-2013.html

This guy was called back with a doe bleet.

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/calderone-buck.html

I have called in many doe using the can and using my mouth.  It works great as long as you don't call to often or get busted.

• Like 3

I have the Flextone Extractor with a slide for buck down to fawn. I think it's great; it sounds like deer to me.

That said, it doesn't work worth a damn for me. This isn't the device's fault--it does what it should. I just can't get deer to respond to it. That said, I can honestly say in my 1.5 seasons of hunting I've never, ever heard a deer vocalize anything, either. They must sometimes but I never hear it!

I did manage to scare a couple doe off a week back trying to call them in with fawn bleat sounds. I also got another deer 80 yards back at the beginning of the month to simply look my way and then walk off after. 

I've never had much luck with doe or fawn bleat calls no matter what brand I've used, or what other calls I've used them in conjunction with.

I've tried the Primos Can, the Extinguisher, as well as my e-caller Flextone Torch all with the same poor results.....NONE.

I've watched and heard does and fawns as they've made this vocalization amongst one another in summer, fall, and winter groups, but I've personally never witnessed it done as a breeding call from what I could tell.

I still use for calling blindly when I get bored, but for the most part I just use my mouth to "bleat...baaah... blaaah.... or maah" when I want to stop ANY deer for a shot. Like has already been said, it doesn't seem to spook them so I'll keep on using it in hopes that it may coax in that one oddball that falls for it one day.

• Like 1

I've never had much luck with doe or fawn bleat calls no matter what brand I've used, or what other calls I've used them in conjunction with.
I've tried the Primos Can, the Extinguisher, as well as my e-caller Flextone Torch all with the same poor results.....NONE.
I've watched and heard does and fawns as they've made this vocalization amongst one another in summer, fall, and winter groups, but I've personally never witnessed it done as a breeding call from what I could tell.
I still use for calling blindly when I get bored, but for the most part I just use my mouth to "bleat...baaah... blaaah.... or maah" when I want to stop ANY deer for a shot. Like has already been said, it doesn't seem to spook them so I'll keep on using it in hopes that it may coax in that one oddball that falls for it one day.

I'm new to calling, and if you asked me early season last year, I would tell you none of these calls works for NYS. But one boring hunt in the middle of the season, I called in a very aggressive, huge bodied buck ready to lance me had he not seen that I didn't have antlers. Even after realizing I was not his intended target, the subsequent grunts unmade kept him around long enough for me to get a shot off.

There were also a few other occasions where I had bucks get curious and within range from the buck call.

It's truly an amazing experience when you fool game into coming in by calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just one comment on calling...you need to be very careful using the grunt call as the season progresses. On a number of occasions I have used the grunt call in an effort to bring a buck I could see into range only to have them bolt at the sound of the call. 

Once a subordinate has had his butt kicked by a dominate buck he usually isn't going to stick around. The doe bleat works better in my opinion. About 5 or 6 years ago while set up just inside the woods had a buck in a winter wheat field about 100 yards away. Hit the bleat and he immediately came running in my direction. Got to the edge of the woods, stopped & began making a scrape. Gave me a nice broad side shot at about 20 yds.

When the rut is on and they are looking for does... if I call at all I use the bleat. Just one opinion.

23 hours ago, Steve D said:

Just one comment on calling...you need to be very careful using the grunt call as the season progresses. On a number of occasions I have used the grunt call in an effort to bring a buck I could see into range only to have them bolt at the sound of the call. 

Once a subordinate has had his butt kicked by a dominate buck he usually isn't going to stick around. The doe bleat works better in my opinion. About 5 or 6 years ago while set up just inside the woods had a buck in a winter wheat field about 100 yards away. Hit the bleat and he immediately came running in my direction. Got to the edge of the woods, stopped & began making a scrape. Gave me a nice broad side shot at about 20 yds.

When the rut is on and they are looking for does... if I call at all I use the bleat. Just one opinion.

I wonder how many mature bucks have responded to a grunt call ,only to find them selves looking up at a hunter , i would imagine it would only take once to make a buck skittish of a grunt tube. 

Steve D I think you hit the nail on the head!  And Shawnhu I agree 100%, nothing compares to fooling them with a call for me anyway.

This will be a bit long so if interested bare with me!

You have to be careful with using an aggressive buck grunt or snort.  90% of the time I see most bucks cringe when a dominant buck is in the area and lets his presence known with an aggressive call.  Goes back to what Steve was saying about getting beat up by a larger male.  This is NY and large dominant bucks are not very prolific, while rare I have heard of 2 dominant bucks clashing after a good rattling sequence but this is not the norm in most of NY unless you have a large amount of 3 year olds or older in the area.  (Not typical in NY with some exceptions.)

Calling in doe with a doe call is dependent on how many deer are in the area I believe.  JMO (Compare NYC to a small local town upstate.)  In NYC the country guy or gal is use to saying hello to everyone but does not get the same response as when they are home where everyone waves and says hello regardless if they know you or not.  If you have an area of large population many doe could care less about another doe in the area.  If you where in NYC and someone who passed you said hello you probably would not acknowledge them but in remote area where few people live they communicate with each other more, I believe the same is true of deer.  One exception is when they are aggressive towards each other like when entering a food plot, they don't mind eating at the same location as long as they have their own table. 

The best calls for doe I have found are fawn calls, more so if they have fawns that are not with them!  The best thing about fawn calls is all deer respond to them.  Bucks know a doe will be close soon and all deer are inquisitive, use this to your advantage. 

Biggest issue with calling using a can is many of us are using them wrong.  We try to make them loud and long by using the full can when this is an aggressive shout that most deer run from!  If you use the can only use half of the call, if you let the diaphragm go to the bottom it is considered an aggressive call.  Half way is a contact call or doe in heat.

Best call to use when pre-rut is starting, like this weekend!  Doe in heat 2 calls followed by one high pitched buck grunt indicating a young buck trying to mate a doe in heat.    Maaa,  pause  Maaa  Burp.  Next time you have a buck pushing a doe you want, try that followed by a grunt snort weeze if he is a large dominant buck.  Otherwise a high pitched grunt call can lure in a doe that is not fully in heat to get that buck off her track and possibly into a fight to keep him off her back.  (They get tired of being chased by young bucks when they are not ready!)

I will post a couple of videos that have helped in my learning of calling.  It works but has to be done at the right time that's for sure! 

PS: Young bucks will come to almost any doe call when they start to come in heat, they just can't help themselves unless they are on a hot doe track.

Like and LIKE!  And another like for Jeremy K!  I ran out of likes today. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:18 PM, shawnhu said:

I'm new to calling, and if you asked me early season last year, I would tell you none of these calls works for NYS. But one boring hunt in the middle of the season, I called in a very aggressive, huge bodied buck ready to lance me had he not seen that I didn't have antlers. Even after realizing I was not his intended target, the subsequent grunts unmade kept him around long enough for me to get a shot off.

There were also a few other occasions where I had bucks get curious and within range from the buck call.

It's truly an amazing experience when you fool game into coming in by calling.

22 hours ago, Steve D said:

11 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Steve D I think you hit the nail on the head!  And Shawnhu I agree 100%, nothing compares to fooling them with a call for me anyway.

This will be a bit long so if interested bare with me!

You have to be careful with using an aggressive buck grunt or snort.  90% of the time I see most bucks cringe when a dominant buck is in the area and lets his presence known with an aggressive call.  Goes back to what Steve was saying about getting beat up by a larger male.  This is NY and large dominant bucks are not very prolific, while rare I have heard of 2 dominant bucks clashing after a good rattling sequence but this is not the norm in most of NY unless you have a large amount of 3 year olds or older in the area.  (Not typical in NY with some exceptions.)

Calling in doe with a doe call is dependent on how many deer are in the area I believe.  JMO (Compare NYC to a small local town upstate.)  In NYC the country guy or gal is use to saying hello to everyone but does not get the same response as when they are home where everyone waves and says hello regardless if they know you or not.  If you have an area of large population many doe could care less about another doe in the area.  If you where in NYC and someone who passed you said hello you probably would not acknowledge them but in remote area where few people live they communicate with each other more, I believe the same is true of deer.  One exception is when they are aggressive towards each other like when entering a food plot, they don't mind eating at the same location as long as they have their own table. 

The best calls for doe I have found are fawn calls, more so if they have fawns that are not with them!  The best thing about fawn calls is all deer respond to them.  Bucks know a doe will be close soon and all deer are inquisitive, use this to your advantage. 

Biggest issue with calling using a can is many of us are using them wrong.  We try to make them loud and long by using the full can when this is an aggressive shout that most deer run from!  If you use the can only use half of the call, if you let the diaphragm go to the bottom it is considered an aggressive call.  Half way is a contact call or doe in heat.

Best call to use when pre-rut is starting, like this weekend!  Doe in heat 2 calls followed by one high pitched buck grunt indicating a young buck trying to mate a doe in heat.    Maaa,  pause  Maaa  Burp.  Next time you have a buck pushing a doe you want, try that followed by a grunt snort weeze if he is a large dominant buck.  Otherwise a high pitched grunt call can lure in a doe that is not fully in heat to get that buck off her track and possibly into a fight to keep him off her back.  (They get tired of being chased by young bucks when they are not ready!)

I will post a couple of videos that have helped in my learning of calling.  It works but has to be done at the right time that's for sure! 

PS: Young bucks will come to almost any doe call when they start to come in heat, they just can't help themselves unless they are on a hot doe track.

Like and LIKE!  And another like for Jeremy K!  I ran out of likes today. 

Great description! One of these days you have to teach me how to properly call in Suffolk archers. 

• Like 1

Great description! One of these days you have to teach me how to properly call in Suffolk archers. 

I generally don't use calls for archers, no matter where they are from. I use scent, like the scent of burgers and steaks on a grill. Works every time.

• Like 1

Fawn distress call, basically the fawn wants milk and is not stressed out like in an attack.  The higher the pitch the more stressed and the quicker the doe will come in.  Works great.

The next video is much more stressed out animal as it is being attacked and when done properly sounds just like a rabbit in distress.  Just be cautious with this call on the ground as the doe come in fast and alert and it makes for a hard shot.

This next video shows how calling in a young yearling doe, this is typically how they react as they do not have the same maternal instinct as a mother doe would have.  While the calling sequence was not what I considered great it did work on this inexperienced young deer TWICE!  Shows how young deer can be fooled easily.

This is a great call to start using as of this weekend and throughout the rut!  Try it out.  This is my new favorite call during the rut and has worked many times if you have a hot doe not fully in heat or a buck looking for a doe in heat or if trying to pull off a buck on a doe track.  This also explains how to use the can properly.

Edited by NFA-ADK

Big difference between the old cans and new cans.  The old cans typically did an alarm call.  The new cans are much shorter and have better reactions from deer as this is more of a contact/mating call. 

Another point made in one of the other videos is the area you are in.  Thick cover and deer call more often, less deer in the area and they will respond better to calls.  I figure this is why they react better up north than on LI where so many deer are present.

In general they do not call that often, if they did we would hear them all the time when we hunt.  So knowing how, when, where and how often are key.  Also using the right call at the right time.  I try to wait at least 20 min between calls minimum.  The more you study and are familiar with deer the better at calling you will get, practice makes perfect.  I practice year round, Baaaaah, doe, Maaa fawn Burp for a buck but I like the tube better than my mouth for grunts.   Good luck to all this season, hope some of this helps!  This shows the new call that is shorter and closer to a doe in heat than the old can that sounded like an alarm.