Fix a broken rack?

BuckThornBooners

So my buddy got a Danndy ten and it has 2 broken tines G2 G3 both broke low. He talked to the taxidermist and he said it's no problem to fix them make it look like a perfect 10 agian.  

In my opinion  it's not an option for me.  It's just not the same deer you killed. 

I understand not wanting to mount a busted buck.  But you mite as well add a few extra points if your going to get the bondo out to fix the rack..make it a 12.  Add a drop tine 

Who here has done it?  And why?

• Like 1

I had it done once, fixed a broken brow tine . I completely understand the way most here feel and have piles of broken racks and antler mounts . I do feel repairing a broken point is a bit different then adding ones though .

i don't hide the fact I don't have racks scored , and I'm not 100 % sure I'd do it again but I like the one I had " fixed" . 

• Like 1

Here's a busted up rack buck that I'm currently mounting for a friend. He found the deer dead several years ago. On the left side a split brow and G3 is broken...on the right the tips of the G2 and G3 are missing as well ass the entire G4. Must been a fighter so we are mounting him in an aggressive pose.

20161025_120728.jpg

20161025_121335.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I actually have more of a problem with mounting a buck that you find then I do with fixing a broken tine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong in mounting a found buck so long as the fact it was found is disclosed if asked. Found animals should not be passed off as being taken by the person in final possession

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong in mounting a found buck so long as the fact it was found is disclosed if asked. Found animals should not be passed off as being taken by the person in final possession

But why mount it what is the point? Don't most people mount to show pride in a accomplishment?

Only way I would fix a broken Point or tine is if it was laying there with the deer and broke from a fall AFTER the shot. Otherwise, you truly have no idea if what ur adding is even correct or not. The broken tine could have been 1" more or 20" more. It's pointless

But why mount it what is the point? Don't most people mount to show pride in a accomplishment?

I don't get my animals mounted just to show off to brag to my buddies. I get them done to show off their natural beauty and enjoy said beauty in my domicile each and every day of my life. Animals are beautiful, tasty, and look great in ones house so found, hunted, or otherwise I say mount on!

• Like 1