Anyone know the Range on this gun?? Rossi 45lc

Muzzy

A lot would depend on the accuracy of the firearm and what you are shooting with it..

Deer..??.. Varmints..??..

It any case it would be 100 yards or less...That 150 year old pistol cartridge is not a long range performer.. Probably half that distance would be more realistic..

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about a rifle, but here is the ballistics chart for a pistol in 45 long colt. As you can see, at no point does the load carry the generally accepted 1000 lbs of energy generally required to hunt deer or other big game. As for Accuracy and range. My guess is that would depend on the shooter, gun, load, etc..

AMMUNITION BALLISTICS FOR: .45 Long Colt (Revolver)    [table]    [tr]  [td]

[/td]  [td][/td][td][/td][td]BULLET[/td]  [td]BARREL

LENGTH[/td]  [td][/td][td]VELOCITY (fps)[/td]  [td][/td][td]ENERGY[/td]  [td]30 yd.

MIDRANGE[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]CARTRIDGE[/td]  [td]WT.[/td]  [td]TYPE[/td]  [td]MFG[/td]  [td](INCHES)[/td]  [td]MUZZ.[/td]  [td]50 YDS.[/td]  [td]MUZZ.[/td]  [td]50 YDS.[/td]  [td]TRAIL[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td].45 Long Colt (Revolver)[/td]  [td]150[/td]  [td]#9 Shot[/td]  [td]©[/td]  [td]5[/td]  [td]1000[/td]  [td]-[/td]  [td]-[/td]  [td]-[/td]  [td]-[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]200[/td]  [td]JHP[/td]  [td](CB)[/td]  [td]4[/td]  [td]1100[/td]  [td]1022[/td]  [td]537[/td]  [td]464[/td]  [td]0.9[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]200[/td]  [td]FMJ[/td]  [td]©[/td]  [td]5[/td]  [td]1000[/td]  [td]938[/td]  [td]444[/td]  [td]391[/td]  [td]1.3[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]225[/td]  [td]JHP[/td]  [td](S)[/td]  [td]5.5[/td]  [td]920[/td]  [td]877[/td]  [td]423[/td]  [td]384[/td]  [td]1.4[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]225[/td]  [td]LSW[/td]  [td]®[/td]  [td]5[/td]  [td]960[/td]  [td]890[/td]  [td]460[/td]  [td]395[/td]  [td]1.3[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]250[/td]  [td]LRN[/td]  [td](S)[/td]  [td]5.5[/td]  [td]860[/td]  [td]820[/td]  [td]420[/td]  [td]380[/td]  [td]1.6[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]250[/td]  [td]FMJ-FP[/td]  [td](P)[/td]  [td]N/A[/td]  [td]800[/td]  [td]766[/td]  [td]355[/td]  [td]326[/td]  [td]1.7[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]255[/td]  [td]LRN[/td]  [td](W)[/td]  [td]5.5[/td]  [td]800[/td]  [td]763[/td]  [td]362[/td]  [td]329[/td]  [td]1.6[/td][/tr][/table]

I don't think so, G-man , assuming your buddie's carbine is a 44 mag.

I don't have the ballistic tables right at hand, but I believe the velocity of the .44 mag is nearly DOUBLE that of the .45 long colt, with similar bullet weights...

Even then, the .44 mag is rather anemic compared to most popular centerfire deer rounds..

I think that the .45 LC would be a 50-60 yard cartridge at best, and then it is marginal..

Sorry G-man... My musty old memory caused me to exaggerate somewhat...

The 44 mag's velocity is NOT double that of the .45 LC although it is still considerably higher... About 300-400 FPS faster with similar bullet weights, which is certainly significant, but nowhere near double....

I don't want to spread false info here.... :-[ ....

The problem with the long colt is the same with many old cartrages..factory loads are week you would need to hand load it and then maybe 100 yards max. I know the recommended 1000 ft lbs woulnt be there but 500 ft lbs would kill a deer dead although not leave an exit. Pygmy yes my friends 44 is a magnum it takes a compressed load to shoot and kill at 100 yards and I would expect about the same with a good handload for 45 long colt. But with other better rounds available I. Would look for something with a bit more punch.

The overlong cylinder on the Rossi also makes for inefficient powder burning, and the long barrel will not maximize velocity because the round is designed for use in short barreled pistols. The gun is strictly a novelty.If you are looking for performance you are looking in the wrong place.

• 3 weeks later...