Deer recovery dogs?

DirtyNailz

If you let it sit until 6 you haven't even BEGUN to look yet.

Wait until morning to give it your best shot during daylight hours with a clear head and slow approach.

I can't imagine you have much more than 1/2 hour into this recovery effort thus far with any kind of decent tracking light.

Give it your best shot, but man you at least have to put a little effort into it before calling in the hounds. Have some faith in yourself, pay attention to all the clues, and take it S-L-O-W!

You just might surprise yourself! Good luck!

• Like 4

Does anyone know of anyone in Medina Ny that has dogs for deer recovery? 

I smaked a Doe tonight at 4:30, let it sit until 6 but having a hard time tracking. 

Not to be a jerk but you obviously didn't smoke her if you can't find her... what have you found what color blood, what smell to the blood how much of it ?

Edit I see you said smacked not smoked but still.... you may have potentially wounded a deer be a little more humble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wooly said:

If you let it sit until 6 you haven't even BEGUN to look yet.

Wait until morning to give it your best shot during daylight hours with a clear head and slow approach.

I can't imagine you have much more than 1/2 hour into this recovery effort thus far with any kind of decent tracking light.

Give it your best shot, but man you at least have to put a little effort into it before calling in the hounds. Have some faith in yourself, pay attention to all the clues, and take it S-L-O-W!

You just might surprise yourself! Good luck!

You nailed it wooly! Tracking dogs are your absolute last option, after doing everything you possibly can, to recover your own deer!

Edited by grampy
Misspelled wooly!
  • Like 1

Listen guys this isn't my first hunt I'm only asking incase it comes to that. Iv never had use dogs befor but iv heard there are services. Don't jump to conclusions about another hunters abilities. I was just asking. I was going to let her sit over night and hit it in the early am anyways. I was frozen to the bone today. Either way thanks for the input

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Good luck in the AM. Do you know where you hit her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction to the shot?

What was her stance when the trigger was tripped?

Find the arrow? What's it look like?

How far did you take the blood?

Distance of the shot?

Ground or elevated?

Maryanne or Ginger?

Looked like a lung hit but the arrow stuck. I v hit a deer in the shoulder before and this wasn't that it looked clean, but the arrow stuck. I had nocturnal nocks so I thought I might find her quick once it got dark but no luck, I'm going to do a better tracking job in the am, cold temp should be OK to let her sit over night.

18 minutes ago, DirtyNailz said:

Listen guys this isn't my first hunt I'm only asking incase it comes to that. Iv never had use dogs befor but iv heard there are services. Don't jump to conclusions about another hunters abilities. I was just asking. I was going to let her sit over night and hit it in the early am anyways. I was frozen to the bone today. Either way thanks for the input

I honestly meant no disrespect to you. And I truly want you to recover your deer. And as a NYS licensed tracker, if I were closer, I would absolutely do all I could to help you. After you did all you could to help yourself. If there is anything I  can do to help , just PM me and I'll be happy to get you headed in the right direction. Best of luck to you sir.

this got me thinking. i have been fortunate to recover all my deer after some extensive searches, time,  effort, grid searches, etc.  However if i ever needed help, it would be nice to have the info handy if the time ever arises where i need a dog.  Is there a website or a list of ones available by area? I hunt in the 3N area.