Fall bird

turkeyfeathers

So I figured I'd check cams today and tote the turkey gun. Did this last week but it was gale force winds. Checked my apple cam and as usual lots of birds hitting the apples. Continued on to check other 2 cams. All in all not in the woods for half hour. Put up 4 doe and 3 fawn with my little exploration. Upon coming down the hill towards the apples again I hit the slate call again for maybe only the 5th time. No headnet nor gloves on. 25 yards away I see multiple turkey heads pop up from undergrowth I'll be danged I think. Maybe a dozen birds in all. A few take to wing , a few run like they stole something , a few others had that oh crap look about them. I can only see heads so I look for a blue one. Get on one with the 1187. In scope and bang. Never even flapped. Ended up being a Jake which I typically don't shoot in spring. Brothers property is up for sale so I don't plan on being too selective in my half assed fall hunt. Still don't want to shoot a hen though. Absolutely smashed him. Broke one wing and neck area was riddled. Heavi mag blends did their job. Beard was I think shot off, its about 3/4" long right where I hit him. Only nubs for hooks or should I say lack of hooks. Couldn't find the empty hull in the leaves so that's the last two I've lost. Over the years this is my 3rd half heartedly attempt at fall bird hunting solely while checking cams. 2 for 3 now. Bird breasted out and in freezer. I'll marinate in oj and Italian dressing and wrap in bacon for the smoker. Any idea what these nuts are from the crop ? I've not seen them around in these woods. 9adaaed6b8e4d5b756d2e34ba264752b.jpg7ff4bd28c3477be52649243ef2131598.jpg3d7eedd60e36bcb749b115e65a3c3b44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 18

Congrats Jay!

I'm thinking this fall season stuff is where we get to even the score from getting shut out in the spring!

I can't believe you're now gonna ruin perfectly fine artery cloggin'  bacon with healthy WHITE MEAT,lol

Enjoy anyhow! ;)

• Like 2

Well that's a heck of hunt!  Nice to punch a fall bird tag; I've only done it once in all my years.  Actually that would be one in NYS, I did kill a hen in Texas December of 1982 on a deer hunt also.

I've always just been interested in bow hunting for deer in the fall or some duck hunting.  Maybe I'll tote the scattergun this weekend as I've already got a buck at this point.

Congrats TF, he'll be good eating! 

• Like 1

Well that's a heck of hunt!  Nice to punch a fall bird tag; I've only done it once in all my years.  Actually that would be one in NYS, I did kill a hen in Texas December of 1982 on a deer hunt also.
I've always just been interested in bow hunting for deer in the fall or some duck hunting.  Maybe I'll tote the scattergun this weekend as I've already got a buck at this point.
Congrats TF, he'll be good eating! 

Don't tote the turkey gun this weekend as Friday 10/28 is the last day. So go after them tomorrow if your able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

TF ..I found the flock...they hit this cam right next to my other doghouse blind this a.m. They'll just be bigger next spring:wink: Glad you punched your tag...hope you have a better 2017 spring...

PICT0012 (3).JPG

Thanks Grow- does your flock usually winter together and split in the spring like most or because of your food sources stay together more as a whole?

Yes, definitely hoping for a better spring hunting here. Had fun but 19 days of hunting hard and no bird will wear away at you.