220 class buck would you take a shot at one if the only shot you had was the back side

LJC

Just a  hypothetical question for fun

You see a 220 class buck or bigger  in gun season run past you only shot you have  is back side . Chances are you will never see a buck that big again would you take the shot ? when I say back side I mean all you see is the white tale sticking up in the air as it moves away from you .

Would you chance taking  that shot  .

And has anyone here ever killed a deer taking a shot like that with a gun .

7 minutes ago, growalot said:

Your talking a "Texas heart shot"...no,that said it would kill it if placed perfectly

A 220 class buck running and all you have is a shot at its arse isnt a texas heart shot, its a stupid desperation shot to make an animal suffer out of pure desire to disrespect it and allow it to suffer out of pure greed.  Stupid question.

And for the record the same answer applies to whether its a button buck or a new world record buck.

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wdswtr said:

A 220 class buck running and all you have is a shot at its arse isnt a texas heart shot, its a stupid desperation shot to make an animal suffer out of pure desire to disrespect it and allow it to suffer out of pure greed.  Stupid 

Edited by LJC

26 minutes ago, wdswtr said:

Easy there Grow I know you said NO I was making the point its a stupid question and its not an ethical,humane or even a shot that needs to be considered or questioned.  Geeeesh everything isnt about you on HNY.

The question was just  hypothetical 

Its a moral dilemma question 

Obviously you should not take that shot .

Well, I am going to answer honestly and say that I would have 100% probably emptied my gun at that running deer when I was younger. Even more honestly saying I am not even sure if I would have been aiming...I hunted a lot of years being the type of hunter that you all hate. I stumbled around the woods having no idea what I was doing and had nobody really to teach me what I was doing. When I think about it now it seems so stupid and I have learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. Now there is no way I would take that shot and most likely wouldn't be able to shoot if it was standing broadside at 25 yards because I would be shaking so badly I wouldn't be able to settle the crosshairs. If anyone needs a list of what not to do as a hunter, I could probably help more than anyone on this forum.

• Like 5

Ethical hunter would say no:

• keep all shots on deer to the head area only
  • never shoot out past 800 yards with rifle, 400 yards with shotgun
  • 150 yards max with vertical bow (100 yards if recurve)
  • in wide open areas pre-exhaust the deer first with a drone chasing it to ensure that if the hit isn't clean it lacks the energy to go far afterward
  • Like 1

During the bow season I have taken a few bucks by hitting the femoral artery, because of the deer moving at the shot.

They all went down less than 30 yards and less than 10 seconds after being hit. So that being said, if I saw a 220+ buck facing away from me and "standing still" less than 100 yards away, I would take the shot with a rifle at that once in a lifetime trophy. Running straight away from you or at 200 plus yards away is another story altogether, greater chance of missing or worse wounding. Just being honest here

Edited by maytom
  • Like 1

Well, I am going to answer honestly and say that I would have 100% probably emptied my gun at that running deer when I was younger. Even more honestly saying I am not even sure if I would have been aiming...I hunted a lot of years being the type of hunter that you all hate. I stumbled around the woods having no idea what I was doing and had nobody really to teach me what I was doing. When I think about it now it seems so stupid and I have learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. Now there is no way I would take that shot and most likely wouldn't be able to shoot if it was standing broadside at 25 yards because I would be shaking so badly I wouldn't be able to settle the crosshairs. If anyone needs a list of what not to do as a hunter, I could probably help more than anyone on this forum.

We all been there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Man you ask all the pressing questions!

I have seen guys shoot 80lb fawns thought the hams with a shotgun. I have had shots fired over my back at a running 4pt.  I had to hug my buddy behind the rim of my truck one day because guys were shooting at a doe bouncing towards us.  I was In my stand one day about 100yd  from a road and a small buck ran across the road in front of a car. The buck was headed my direction and the guy opened fire from the road while I'm yelling and screaming hoping he hears or sees me.  

So to answer the question it would be NO my first reaction would be to take cover because God knows what the hell would happen if someone else seen it. 

It is a very lethal shoot. But I would pass and hope for a better shot

I have been in this situation with a 140 class buck witch to me would be equivalent to a 220" 

I was so 95% sure I could have killed it ..  I regrettably passed 

8 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

We all been there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You sure wouldn't know it reading the forum.....Everyone only takes perfect shots...nobody makes mistakes, nobody has ever tried something that doesn't work...I don't buy it...I think we could all learn a lot more if everyone was honest.

• Like 2