Camo preference

92onCaliHollow

So I have always preferred Mossy Oak brand camo, Break-up Infinity specifically. One of the main reasons behind this is that I personally feel that "Team Realtree" has become quite a joke with putting their name and pattern on anything and everything, literally. They make it feel like it is more about the $$ (yes I know it IS a business) and not so much about the true meaning of hunting being family, friends, food, comrade and nature (my opinions).

So while me and the Mrs were in Cabelas yesterday, I brought up to her the fact that I am really starting to think that I have wasted a lot of money, time and effort supporting and liking just one specific brand or pattern. Back in the day when my father started hunting, he is in his mid 60's, they did not have camouflage. The military barely had tiger stripe at that point. All of the hunters from that era seem to have done just fine bringing home deer, and big ones at that. So does this all really matter? I know that deer supposedly only see shapes, shadows and patterns, so why all the colors in the name brand camo clothing and accessories? 

Obvious to me that these companies are smarter than we think. Its becoming more and more obvious to me that all of this is just a marketing ploy. And yes, it took me almost 30yrs of being in the woods to realize that I'm an idiot

8 hours ago, 92onCaliHollow said:

So I have always preferred Mossy Oak brand camo, Break-up Infinity specifically. One of the main reasons behind this is that I personally feel that "Team Realtree" has become quite a joke with putting their name and pattern on anything and everything, literally. They make it feel like it is more about the $$ (yes I know it IS a business) and not so much about the true meaning of hunting being family, friends, food, comrade and nature (my opinions).

So while me and the Mrs were in Cabelas yesterday, I brought up to her the fact that I am really starting to think that I have wasted a lot of money, time and effort supporting and liking just one specific brand or pattern. Back in the day when my father started hunting, he is in his mid 60's, they did not have camouflage. The military barely had tiger stripe at that point. All of the hunters from that era seem to have done just fine bringing home deer, and big ones at that. So does this all really matter? I know that deer supposedly only see shapes, shadows and patterns, so why all the colors in the name brand camo clothing and accessories? 

Obvious to me that these companies are smarter than we think. Its becoming more and more obvious to me that all of this is just a marketing ploy. And yes, it took me almost 30yrs of being in the woods to realize that I'm an idiot

Orange camo because I don't feel like getting shot 

Or any camo usally it's realtree 

Most will break-up your silhouette and if washed in a non-UV brightener detergent, they'll work. Hunting supplies & gear is a mutli $B industry, so you should expect a lot of sales hype or worthless innovations involved! Easy to get caught-up in the latest & greatest craze. I'm holding out with any upgrades to my camo until they perfect the Invisible Man pattern.

I don't have one , most of the time I'm in a mix and match . From my Muck Boots, to my hat and everything In between are different .

Years back I was an ASAT fan, and still use their  bibs from time to time .

im of the opinion that like fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman, camo is made to,look good to hunters .

Edited by Larry302

I really like predator fall gray.  Deer seem to look right through you.  No doubt you can kill one without camo but if you are specifically buying camo, predator is my choice.  That said, I buy hunting gear based on fit and functionality and much of it is real tree because that is what is popular 

• Like 1

If I didn't like how good (more natural) camo patterns look in field photos, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Most all the popular brands "blob-up" anyhow even at bow close ranges. Add to that, most bowhunters hunt from the treetops or a ground blind where it really doesn't help much more other than in the hunters own mind to make him FEEL invisible.

My rule for camo is I don't have a favorite brand anymore..., rather I have a favorite material in fleece which is silent. That to me is more important, more available, and cheaper than trying to blend in with Bill Jordan, Micheal Waddel, and the Lakoski's.

• Like 3

My most comin can I pattern is green or red wool plaid. If I'm bow hunting early I wear tree bark camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow a proof read would have helped me out this morning.

Most of my "camo" is plaid wool either green and black or red and black. I do have some others I do like the old style tree bark as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have No particular favorite camo pattern in green/brown colors etc.  I'll wear and layer according to the weather without one iota of thought "do I match?"    I do however love my snow camo. Have jacket, pants ,knit cap, gloves, bomber hat ,face mask, and a full snow camo overalls suit.  . Nothing makes me feel as stealthy as when I have that on.

Killed my first few deer in blue jeans and a green wool sweater. I still have that sweater! Put lots of flannel layers under it when it got chilly! Like most of the guys, who've seen a few hunting seasons. Treebark was my first camo. I remember thinking ,  no way a deer can see me with this stuff on! But they did!!.....If I  moved. So I learned that no matter what you wear, as long as you are still, the deer usually will not see you. My camo now, is a mismatched  conglomerate of stuff bought on sale or given to me as a gift from my wife. Geared way more towards comfort than style . 

• Like 1