Heated jackets

Jmp209

Anybody here ever try any of the Milwaukee brand heated vests or jackets? I see they're offering them in camo as well as their other colors to appeal to outdoorsmen. They sound like a pretty good idea for long, all day sits or even being able to still hunt in fewer layers and take the chill off if you decide to sit for a little while.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I have a Cabela's heated vest...I got it a size smaller than I normally wear and put that on over my first base layer. I love it....Battery only lasts two hours on high...that's the only downfall. I got two extra batteries. I have never tried the Milwaukee but I am not sure how good it would work if you had two many layers between you and the jacket.

I already own some Milwaukee 12v tools and batteries so that's why I'm leaning that direction. I would go the same route and wear it as a base layer rather than an outer shell so color doesn't really matter to me. I was just thinking that maybe seeing it in camo helped some people consider it's use for hunting and not just for work.

I don't need a heated coat...I need heated bun warmers/panties...:wink:...lol it takes hours to get back to a normal temp...Now don't make a joke of it ...I'm serious...I had fallen into the Canseraga creek as a kid, then walked a 1mile home in literally a blizzard...My girl friend and I were frozen when we got home. I had blisters..my mom stood my snow pants up next to the furnace they stood on their own a very long time. So now the cold effects my lower extremities quickly. Anyone that has suffered frost bite knows from where I speak.

18 minutes ago, growalot said:

I don't need a heated coat...I need heated bun warmers/panties...:wink:...lol it takes hours to get back to a normal temp...Now don't make a joke of it ...I'm serious...I had fallen into the Canseraga creek as a kid, then walked a 1mile home in literally a blizzard...My girl friend and I were frozen when we got home. I had blisters..my mom stood my snow pants up next to the furnace they stood on their own a very long time. So now the cold effects my lower extremities quickly. Anyone that has suffered frost bite knows from where I speak.

I've had too Grow and you are more than correct. Your body, especially the parts it affected are NEVER the same again. My feet suffer from the same problem

as an electrical engineer I'd hate to rely on batteries and electronics for heat.  never had an interest to look into them.

I agree it would be unwise to rely completely on any electronic device. I was thinking they would make a good base layer that would help take the chill off from sitting for long periods of time. Kind of just add a heat coil into a layer I'd be wearing anyways.

I have the heated Milwaukee camo jacket . I wear a Blaze Orange vest over it during gun season . The battery doesn't last long so I have 3 of them and they are about $35 each . If you turn on the pocket warmers , that really sucks up some juice . Probably better off buying WOOL clothing and dressing in layers . 

I have the heated Milwaukee camo jacket . I wear a Blaze Orange vest over it during gun season . The battery doesn't last long so I have 3 of them and they are about $35 each . If you turn on the pocket warmers , that really sucks up some juice . Probably better off buying WOOL clothing and dressing in layers . 

I dress in layers now and I'm usually good for a few hours but once I start getting cold my only option is to deal with it or get up and walk. Thought maybe this could help me sit still just a bit longer.

I have a Cabelas vest and use it on really cold days.  I turn it on for ten minutes, then off until I start to feel a bit cold, usually can last a half hour or more if I have good layers on over it.  I've used it ice fishing too and it works just as well.

I'm always sporting layers.  an outer layer that blocks wind makes a huge difference.  also I'm on stand with outer layers unzipped or I add a layer after sitting a while.  it's takes over an hour for my body temp to dip back down, even if taking my time to walk in and climb into the stand.  if you're wearing everything and not worried about over heating and sweating on the way in you're going to get cold.  if you sweat on the way in you'll get cold even sooner.

I have a heated fleece vest that I bought for skiing. you don't use to in lieu of warm clothing. while sitting in a tree stand and you start to get a chill you turn it on. once the chill is gone, turn it off. If you have good outer wear, the warmth should stay trapped inside the jacket and you stay warm for quite a bit. if the wind blows and you feel the wind through your jacket and clothes, then I suggest you buy better clothing. I learned this from skiing in the north east.

I bought a heated jacket for bow season. It gives plenty of heat without the clothing interferences with the bow string. Works well on cold mornings. I have tried the layers, and by the time I have adequate clothing on, my form goes to hell and I have all kinds of interferences from the bulk. Not anymore.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, Jmp209 said:

Do you think this is going overboard with technology?

Everyone needs to find their own comfort level and what is going to keep them warm. I suppose a "heated jacket" would be nice but it just struck me funny and couldn't make me help but  wonder what will be next. Me... if I get cold I get up & move around til I get warm and if I can't get warm I head to the truck or house.

Technology is nice but sometimes I think we go a little to far. If it woks for you and it is something you want...go for it None of my business Just trying to point out it seem like there is an app for just about anything today.

Sometimes , if I am sitting in a blind, I take my military mummy type sleeping bag with me . I have been able to stay out a lot longer that way . Got a lot of deer while doing this . I would just put it over my shoulders . It really kept the body heat in . My son in law said I should take it with me when I buy a lottery ticket but that didn't work . 

Everyone needs to find their own comfort level and what is going to keep them warm. I suppose a "heated jacket" would be nice but it just struck me funny and couldn't make me help but  wonder what will be next. Me... if I get cold I get up & move around til I get warm and if I can't get warm I head to the truck or house.
 Technology is nice but sometimes I think we go a little to far. If it woks for you and it is something you want...go for it None of my business Just trying to point out it seem like there is an app for just about anything today.

I couldn't agree more. I think a lot of products out there can be great if used with moderation and within reason. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to trade off good woodsmanship skills for these products instead of using them together. And I hope I didn't come off confrontational with my comment, after I re read it I can see how it might be taken that way.

Sure, I agree that we have gone way overboard in having technology replace skill and technique when it comes to hunting equipment. But hunters have been using the latest materials and designs in clothing to keep them warm forever. Yes, we have come a long ways since the buckskins and loin-cloth, but I fail to see any mis-use in heated jackets or socks or gloves or whatever keeps you out in the woods longer.