Rut Status Southern Zone

BKhunter

Just curious what everyone is seeing. I was out last weekend and didn't see much rut activity. No scrapes or rubs where I am at in 4Y. I'm not able to get back up until Nov 11th. Do you think the rut will be over by then or is everyone in the southern zone just starting to see activity picking up.

I was in 4F this weekend.  On Saturday, I saw a few small bucks traveling together.  They didn't bother with any of the does in the field.  I did see a few small new scrapes that weren't there two weeks ago.  I had some trail cam pictures of better bucks still traveling together.  On Sunday, things seemed to change a bit.  I saw two young bucks make a little effort to check the does.  I saw another bigger buck make a slightly more aggressive check on a group of does.  The does were obviously not interested and the buck continued feeding in the field with the does.  I also saw a few other smaller bucks on Sunday that were pressuring the does just a bit.  It seemed to me like rut activity just started.  I'm hoping it'll be in full swing in two weeks when I'm up there next.

6 hours ago, BKhunter said:

I'm not able to get back up until Nov 11th. Do you think the rut will be over by then 

Heck no! Previous years I always see good rutting action around the 11'th. 

Zone 4A..... Seen a mature 3 yr old on his feet Sunday @936 am working a scrape line and watched him bump does around. We're close. 

Zone 5R..... seeing young bucks working scrapes, responding to grunt calls good.. Does still seem to be acting normal in both zones I hunt. 

From here on out I'll be hunting the known doe bedding areas. 

Good luck when you come back on the 11'th! I hope you get a good buck. 

• Like 2

9f. Lots of scrapes. No real action yet. I guessed wrong taking this week off ! Supposed to be 70, don't think that will help. I think it will be getting real good middle of next week on, or possibly even week after. Just hoping we don't have a goofy rut like last year.

9m. Same, slow. Does move morn and Eve more than usual last week but no boys tagging along.

My son and I,,, since Saturday with three morning hunts and one evening in 7J saw a total of 8 different 1.5 year old bucks and not one doe scrapes and rubs showing up daily..

This one is 70 yards in front of my stand and another two about half the size of this cedar within 30 yards ..

Needless to say I can't wait for next weekend ..

IMG_0964.JPG

9f update. 2.5 8pt has had a doe locked down since daylight in a 1/4acre piece. My dad has been patiently waiting for them to come his way. Last sighted 10min ago, still has her locked up and has chased smaller bucks off all day. I'm less than a half mile away in a natural funnel down wind of bedding. Haven't seen a deer all day....

Doe may come into estrus in September, it's just the peak of does being into estrus is early November (every year).... Scouting I'll kill more mature bucks than Chase phase hopes in NYS ever will

There is chasing now, and some soon and some later. All about luck and high hopes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in 8M I'm seeing only young bucks chasing and the bigger buck photos I'm seeing on my cameras as well as others in the area are after dark. In riding around I'm seeing doe families out feeding peacefully with no bucks chasing. So, I originally had planned to take this week off...but have held off and am waiting to see what happens this weekend.  With that said....I'm sure there are doe coming into heat now and big bucks are being taken. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Yesterday 11-1 was the 1st scrape,I started seeing more deer this weekend. It was slower last year here, so I think its Seek Time now. Sunday morning I watched a 6pt running in circles nose to ground where hours before there was a doe. I plan on hunting this next cold front should be a good one.