Any diesel guys or generally motor inclined guys?

BigVal

Figured I'd ask here as everyone is helpful although I know it's not a truck site. I have a 24 valve cummins in my truck that eats belts. I replaced the tensioner assembly and belt about 4K ago and the belt is ripping again. Looks like it gets pushed back behind the ac wheel and tears. I figure can't be the tensioner again? I'm gonna pull it and check other pullys after work but figured I'd ask.

Figured I'd ask here as everyone is helpful although I know it's not a truck site. I have a 24 valve cummins in my truck that eats belts. I replaced the tensioner assembly and belt about 4K ago and the belt is ripping again. Looks like it gets pushed back behind the ac wheel and tears. I figure can't be the tensioner again? I'm gonna pull it and check other pullys after work but figured I'd ask.

This sounds like an accessory belt/serpentine. Sounds like you have a worn bearing somewhere or a misaligned pulley. Listen for a bad bearing or wiggle all the pulleys for play with the belt off.

Generally, OEM replacement parts are not the issue, but aftermarket parts may not be to spec and cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I pulled the old belt off, spin all pullys and they all check out for tightness, noise and alignment. I put on a new belt and it gets pulled off center after literally 1 minute or less of run time. I suppose it could be idler pully but it is new with only 4K on it. Brining my dad into this one tomorrow 

So I pulled the old belt off, spin all pullys and they all check out for tightness, noise and alignment. I put on a new belt and it gets pulled off center after literally 1 minute or less of run time. I suppose it could be idler pully but it is new with only 4K on it. Brining my dad into this one tomorrow 

And you grabbed and yanked and nothing moved?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Check the ac  pump. those like to loosen up a little causing the pump to tilt just enough to put out of alignment. Also just because a pull does not make noise or feels tight does not mean it isn't  bad. The belt puts a lot of tension on them look at each one with belt on. check with a square if you can look for any tilt in pully. After you do that go buy a Ford. Just a thought.

Edited by stubby68
  • Like 1

Lol.. have a ford that has a built 6.0 in it as well. It'll smoke my cummins but I daily the dodge. Ford is work in progress. Like both but dodge over ford for me.

and both are over 200k the dodge has a bit more :drinks:

Edited by BigVal

Sounds like you built the wrong engine to me lol

I have a buddy that had a 2003ish 3/4 ton Cummins that was built. Upgraded turbo, intercooler, injection pumps, propane and water injection, Bully Dog system, exhaust, all that. One day I raced him with my 10 Hemi Sport (390hp, tuned, exhaust) which is no slouch and he whooped me with a 25 foot beaver tail hanging off the back.

Yep basically same set up that my ford has, but it's twinned. Bought it mostly built doing rear end when funds allow. The dodge has bigger turbo, efi live, exhaust, fuel system etc. much more reliable.

oh, and they'll both smoke hemis :rolleyes:. Lol 

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BigVal said:

Lol.. have a ford that has a built 6.0 in it as well. It'll smoke my cummins but I daily the dodge. Ford is work in progress. Like both but dodge over ford for me.

and both are over 200k the dodge has a bit more :drinks:

Sounds like he did it right put a Chevy motor in ford! That Cummins must be stock or in need of some work if the ford smokes it, I have seen some pretty wicked Cummins on stock turbo and a tune.

But the belt issue make sure it is routed correctly I watched a belt eat itself on a ford in 3k miles because the belt was routed wrong over one of the tensioner pulleys. I was surprised it even ran correctly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Sounds like he did it right put a Chevy motor in ford! That Cummins must be stock or in need of some work if the ford smokes it, I have seen some pretty wicked Cummins on stock turbo and a tune.

But the belt issue make sure it is routed correctly I watched a belt eat itself on a ford in 3k miles because the belt was routed wrong over one of the tensioner pulleys. I was surprised it even ran correctly.

It's a power stroke 6.0 diesel with twin turbos no chevy power here lol when set up and running right the trucks a rocket 

Edited by BigVal

Love me some ford diesels! I have a 2010 6.4l deleted, 4 in flo pro straight from the turbo back, with spartan tuner. Took it to lancaster last year with stock tires. Best time outta 2 runs was a 8.5. That's spinning all 4 tires for the first 100'. A guy my dad ran into at a car show was running a tuned challenger r/t behind us and was complaining to my dad that these big a$$ trucks beat his time by a tenth of a second. Diesels can be crazy fast when setup right. Good luck getting that cummins running right val.

38 minutes ago, BigVal said:

It's a power stroke 6.0 diesel with twin turbos no chevy power here lol when set up and running right the trucks a rocket 

Haha yeah I figured it was the 6.0 diesel but still wanted to ruffle your feathers a little, my buddy has been a die hard Ford guy and I like to get under his skin when I call him out when he used to have a GM powered mustang. 

Facebook-0acffb.png

Edited by chas0218