Rut activity 8H Rochester

JRod 8G8H

Anyone on the forum hunting suburbs of Rochester? I live 8H but hunt 8G.. Real nice buck chasing does all around my neighborhood tonight.. Bucks all alone this week not interested in feeding... Does were runnin like hell. Just FYI... Think the rut has finally hit Rochester!!

Can't wait to get in my stand Sat morning, should be similar activity. Post similar comments below for WNY activity..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The only time I am seeing bucks is at night while driving or on my trail cams . I hope that changes this weekend . 

True, same with us. I think so eddie.. This was 530 pm. I feel this past week the bucks had does on lockdown around here. Finally will break out my estrous piss this weekend, up until now I've been scent free only, and stinkin up scrapes on my way out. Good luck

50 minutes ago, Jared A said:

True, same with us. I think so eddie.. This was 530 pm. I feel this past week the bucks had does on lockdown around here. Finally will break out my estrous piss this weekend, up until now I've been scent free only, and stinkin up scrapes on my way out. Good luck

Lockdown?  The real chasing has not really started in my part of the 8's. Couple weeks before lock down imo.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Lockdown?  The real chasing has not really started in my part of the 8's. Couple weeks before lock down imo.

Maybe not lockdown mode but scent checking.. Chasing will begin this weekend IMO, respond to calls, etc. Good luck

• Like 2

Bucks are definately searching and the dominant bucks in the area may very well already be hooked up with the first estrous does.  Saw quite a few searching bucks this week at all times of day in 8N.  Also am seeing lone fawns without their mothers.  Jumped a real nice buck bedded with a lone doe at 2pm while riding my bike down near Hemlock Lake on Wed. 

• Like 1

I'm in 8F. From what I've seen the little guys are out looking/searching/pestering now. Big guys are either hooked up with early estrous does or biding their time until more does get close. I think this weekend could be real good for buck movement.

• Like 1

The big boys are on the prowl around my area. I almost hit 3 of them last night on my way back from my daughters hockey practice. Not a very long drive between Canandaigua and Bristol Center either. All 3 were 3 1/2 or older with one right up the road from my house being an absolute pig that Ive been glassing all summer. He trotted right in front of me like I wasnt even there, and kept on going with his nose to the ground.

• Like 1

Saw 14 bucks while on stand yesterday  in 8H, killed 1. Seeking for sure , bucks on their feet all hours of daylight covering ground, saw one fight , 4 good sized bucks, does not moving .

btw there are at least 2 other " rut " threads .

• Like 2

8Y this past weekend I saw more chasing than I have so far this season. I think the rut is coming with this 2nd moon cycle instead of the first like a lot of people were predicting including myself. This weekend will be a good weekend to be in the woods, hoping the bucks I have passed make it thru the season! Looking forward to the gun opener good luck to everyone stepping into the woods this weekend!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chas0218 said:

8Y this past weekend I saw more chasing than I have so far this season. I think the rut is coming with this 2nd moon cycle instead of the first like a lot of people were predicting including myself. This weekend will be a good weekend to be in the woods, hoping the bucks I have passed make it thru the season! Looking forward to the gun opener good luck to everyone stepping into the woods this weekend!

Been my experience that the rut always happens the same time every year, the week following the second full moon closest to the Autumnal Equinox. Just not the same date on our solar calendars.

From my stand this morning I watched a big-bodied, dark 8 pt. chase a tiny doe. Two other smaller bucks were with him. He grunted constantly. At the time I was watching a buck under my stand eat acorns. The buck had both antlers broken off at the bases. When the breeding unit ran past, the antlerless buck took off after them. But returned a short time later to eat acorns. The big 8 pt. made the mistake of walking too close to my stand just before dark.

4 hours ago, growalot said:

Hey will someone tell all these bucks to chase a few doe to my part of 8N..don't know if you noticed but I've seen buck...tons of fawn, but now only a few doe at night on cams...What happened to the 70 deer in the farm field reports I got all summer from ppl? Were the all young buck? :mda:

Your observations are right on. Since the rut is peaking right now, (as predicted) the does are tending to group up in Whitetail Breeding Units. Some call them breeding parties...Usually the WBU's are controlled by one or two dominant bucks and the scrub bucks float around the edges. Smells to good to leave...but if the little bucks get too close they risk a whoopin.  Single does are being run and run and run by bucks until they bed down in the shadow of a breeder buck(s). Feast or famine out there. You are in the action...where the deer are, or its pretty much dead.