Crossbow Regulations- Be Sure to Comply

CharlieNY

If you plan on using a crossbow during the early archery season in the Southern Zone starting on Nov. 5 make sure to comply with the crossbow regulations. You must have muzzleloader hunting privilege to hunt with a crossbow during the early archery season, and if you took your hunter safety education course prior to April 1, 2014, you must complete a crossbow certificate of qualification which must be signed and carried with your license. The link to the crossbow certificate of qualification is below, or you can find it in your Hunting Regulations Guide.  I just wanted to remind everyone of the regulations. Good luck to all!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/98061.html

www.valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add information

For Crossbow in the SZ, I purchased the Muzz privilege yesterday and it also issued an anterless tag. I also have a bow/muzz either sex tag. According to the regs if I understand them correctly, I can use either of these tags or a DMP which I have, or can I use all of them? 

Here are the regs from the DEC website.

Crossbows may also be used to take deer or bear during limited portions of bowhunting seasons as follows, provided that the hunter possesses the muzzleloading privilege:

• During the last 14 days of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone;
  • During the last 10 days of the early bowhunting season in the Northern Zone; this includes the 7-day early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone;
  • Only Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs or DMAPs may be use during these times.

Thanks.
DT

• Like 1

For Crossbow in the SZ, I purchased the Muzz privilege yesterday and it also issued an anterless tag. I also have a bow/muzz either sex tag. According to the regs if I understand them correctly, I can use either of these tags or a DMP which I have, or can I use all of them? 
Here are the regs from the DEC website.
Crossbows may also be used to take deer or bear during limited portions of bowhunting seasons as follows, provided that the hunter possesses the muzzleloading privilege:
  • During the last 14 days of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone;
  • During the last 10 days of the early bowhunting season in the Northern Zone; this includes the 7-day early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone;
  • Only Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs or DMAPs may be use during these times.
Thanks.
DT

Yep all tags are good

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hoping someone knows the answer to the following. Like the above poster, I bought a muzzleloader priv/tag and was issued an antlerless deer tag. However... page 14 of this years hunting trapping guide under deer hunting privs and tags says ..."muzzleloading privs you will receive a bow/mz either sex tag. " then it says for bow hunting and junior bow hunting ...."you will receive a bow/mz season either sex tag."  According to the regs then I should be allowed to take two antler deer using my bow tag and my mz tag. However I have an antlerless tag for mz.. something is not adding up here.   What gives????

16 minutes ago, Dan.NY said:

Hoping someone knows the answer to the following. Like the above poster, I bought a muzzleloader priv/tag and was issued an antlerless deer tag. However... page 14 of this years hunting trapping guide under deer hunting privs and tags says ..."muzzleloading privs you will receive a bow/mz either sex tag. " then it says for bow hunting and junior bow hunting ...."you will receive a bow/mz season either sex tag."  According to the regs then I should be allowed to take two antler deer using my bow tag and my mz tag. However I have an antlerless tag for mz.. something is not adding up here.   What gives????

They are special privileges. with the first special privilege you get an either sex. with you second special privilege you get an antlerless only. either can be used in either season. 

so you must have purchased a bow license previously?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Y I have bow tag this year and last. This makes about zero sense to me. Thanks for the details though. So this begs the question then I don't really need a mz tag then for crossbow, because I already have mz privs, according to the tag. Wonder if a judge would agree... somehow I doubt it. 

29 minutes ago, Dan.NY said:

Y I have bow tag this year and last. This makes about zero sense to me. Thanks for the details though. So this begs the question then I don't really need a mz tag then for crossbow, because I already have mz privs, according to the tag. Wonder if a judge would agree... somehow I doubt it. 

Nope. You need to BUY the ML privilege. They both say Bow/ML because you can use in either season once you BUY the privilege. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Im looking to purchase a Tenpoint Eclipse. Its specs say its 17 in Axle to Axle uncocked. But can only see from pics that the cams are on brackets and am not sure about the limb tip to limb tip measurement NY requires. Anybody know if it measures up?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 3:45 PM, doulos said:

Im looking to purchase a Tenpoint Eclipse. Its specs say its 17 in Axle to Axle uncocked. But can only see from pics that the cams are on brackets and am not sure about the limb tip to limb tip measurement NY requires. Anybody know if it measures up?

Yes its fine