Hit a doe last night...

BuckTracker

Could use some help. Hit a doe last night around 5:45 pm with the bow at15 yds.  Gave her two hrs before I searched for her.  The arrow didn't pass thru, it was hanging out of her as she ran into some saplings.  The arrow snapped off leaving the broad head and 6" of the shaft in her.  I found blood and white/ brown hair on saplings about 1 1/2-2 ft off the ground for maybe 20-30 yds.  I couldn't find any more blood at that point and figured I'd try first thing in the am.   

Any advice based on the scenario? White hair... low belly shot?   It happened so fast, I know the arrow stuck her right behind the shoulder, just maybe a little low... im going out at first light in the am...I'm in the Cicero , cny area, does anyone have a deer search contact info for this area in 7f?

thanks for the help/advice!

I'd say doesn't make any difference at this point from what you said. I say this because as she ran that broad head was bouncing around in her,unless you heard a loud crack at hit. That would indicate a bone hit.. She then snapped it off as she ran. This leaves the broad head and remaining shaft to move around inside her as she runs.

Here's an example.I shot a buck a bit high and a bit back of shoulder.Arrow did not pass through and broke off.I watched his run carefully. He circled high and back from where he came..I found him dead.he traveled a dead run 150+ yrds. I found him not 200ft away on a direct line from where I shot him.The broad head was sticking out off his butt cheek on the opposite side of the hit. Running and snapping off caused it to  flip then travel the length of his body cutting along the way. Look for running signs,deep tracks and kicked up dirt and roughed up leafs...she's a dead deer I have no doubt.remember how she ran and what you heard. Good Luck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

A perfect time to have a hair example book.

Any luck ?

when daughter took her hunter safety course last year one of the instructors had one of these. It's pretty slick. Upon harvesting a deer this year we're going to make one. I have a laminator and should be easy.

when daughter took her hunter safety course last year one of the instructors had one of these. It's pretty slick. Upon harvesting a deer this year we're going to make one. I have a laminator and should be easy.

Beyond a necessity for deer hunting, especially when it's stick and sting.

I'm kind of crazy when it comes to the tracking... So many things can be figured out immediately. I know a guy who's been tracking longer than I've been breathing. It's usually the same questions. Blood, hair , what did the deer do upon impact, how far was first blood, how did the deer run away, what angle was the shot, where do you think you hit the deer, arrow in or out, pass through, deers tail while walking/running away etc. Usually you get a few of those right of the bat if you call deer search. Now, as hunters, if we consistently look for these things on every shot we will have much better success on recovery's. And, rule of thumb is 400yrds of tracking before even considering quitting.

• Like 1

Recovered my doe the following morning!  She went about 60 yds and likely died soon after I shot her.  Very little blood the first 20-30 yds then absolutely nothing, no blood on brush/ branches.  After being down on my hands and knees for an hour looking for more blood/sign i started to do archs in the direction I knew she headed.  Was so relieved when I found her belly up and dead.  The broad head and 3" of shaft were left in her so I was super cautious gutting her . Found it in the lungs, must have hit something else major because she had severe internal bleeding.  There were about 6 huge clumps of congealed blood in her chest cavity.  First ever doe with the bow, I've shot two bucks previous to her

also first kill with rage hypodermic, not sure how I feel about rage... one of the blades broke in half, glad I saw it and found it.  I also broke a rib which is likely why I didn't get a pass thru shot. I've shot muzzy 4 blades previous to rage . I think they bounce off the ribs better and keep going further... thanks for the help fellow hunters !!!

• Like 4

Well thank you for saving me $10

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nothing beats the real thing, laminated and labeled. If you want to really be cheap, get packing tape and put hair between 2 pieces and put a small piece of paper with written label in. Cut to size, poke hole, keyring. Done