De-Cocking bolt

fasteddie

Thought I would try a crossbow after watching The Field Archer's video . Took it out Saturday and had to use a de-cocking bolt twice . I had the Barnett Thump Decelerator bolt that has a large rubber stopper on it . In the am I shot it and the stopper was driven 2" up the shaft . I couldn't push it back to the original position . Same thing at the end of day ... 2 more inches . When I got home I opened the vice jaws just a bit wider than the shaft and pulled hard . No luck . I washed the front end of the stopper and tried again . Still no luck . Soooo , I put the bolt on the front side of the vice and pushed . The stopper slid and I cleared away more junk . Had to do this twice . I put the bolt back in the vice and pulled . Voila ! It worked . 

Is this the normal thing required have to do ? It came with 2 other stoppers that can be put on a bolt .

Hey Eddie. I have the same de-cocking bolt with rubber stopper and every time i shoot it the rubber stopper moves back a bit. I usually place the bolt on a hard solid surface and push the stopper up toward front of bolt by hand. So far it's been working for me. Good luck !

I don't like the idea of getting down from the stand with the bow cocked while lowering it . I decided to take a practice arrow along and take a test shot before getting down from the ladder stand . The problem is ... the X-bow will bury the arrow if it's too close . The discharge bag sounds like a good idea but I carry enough excess junk in the car as it is .......:taunt:

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I don't like the idea of getting down from the stand with the bow cocked while lowering it . I decided to take a practice arrow along and take a test shot before getting down from the ladder stand . The problem is ... the X-bow will bury the arrow if it's too close . The discharge bag sounds like a good idea but I carry enough excess junk in the car as it is .......:taunt:

I suppose instead of carrying the discharge bag with you to your stand any nearby "soft" place to shoot bolt into would work just as well. However, I would still say bring an old bolt along to do this with this way if you should end up damaging the bolt it would be no big loss. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Can you put one of those rubber thumper heads on the bolt? I know they sell them for bows. If you just carried a bolt with that on it it wouldn't bury into the dirt.

It comes with a bolt and a Thumper Head on it plus two thumper heads that you can put on a bolt . 

4 hours ago, ApexerER said:

My decocking bolt has a big metal end on it....I got it at dicks....It doesn't go anywhere....

This is the one I have it's works great,,, just shoot into soft ground. I shoot down from my tree stand and retrieve when I get down,, I have two other spots where I walk out and shoot into a soft dirt bank, if the grounds hard it can break the de cocking  arrow or go flying which can be dangerous.