Scope choices..

20 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Have to get a scope base for it still and then put it together. Hope it's more than friction adjustments

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ideally if you want to run MOA adjustments to adjust the shot the tall target turrets are what I prefer. 

• Like 1

Id like to set this gun up for long(er) range shooting using MOA. This will be my first setup to shoot long ranges without bdc or "hold over". I love the concept and figured out how to do so with 1/4 MOA .. This scope is 1/2 MOA so im guessing the adjustment "clicks" will be half of 1/4??  

The rifleman scopes aren't the best choice for that because they don't have "clicks" it is nearly impossible to "dope" a scope without clicks because returning to zero is very hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The rifleman scopes aren't the best choice for that because they don't have "clicks" it is nearly impossible to "dope" a scope without clicks because returning to zero is very hard.

This is what I was afraid of, returning to zero correctly each time. I wasn't service on using this scope entirely. Maybe I'll just put it on the 243 instead.

i didn't read the whole thread but is your mind set on a leupold and do you reload?

if not take a look at the nikon prostaff 5 with custom xr turret.i have one on my 22-259 and it right on the money unless you change ammo.i had one on my 3006 and just swapped it out for a 4x leupold its a hunting gun now even though i cracked steel out to 558 yards with it.there's no need for that where i hunt but fun. anyway its worth looking at.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/nikon-prostaff-5-custom-xr-turret-riflescope/1587527.uts?destination=

• Like 1

It is a rare rifle that has accuracy fine enough to actually utilize 1/4 minute scope adjustments so unless I was into competition target shooting I would not be overly concerned with the friction adjustments at a half minute on a Leupold scope mounted on a big game sporter rifle. I have several older Leupold scopes that have both 1/2 minute adjustments and are friction dials. Some were their best varmint scopes of the day mounted on very accurate varmint rifles and I  have absolutely no problems zeroing them in to the point of aim and holding zero shot after shot after shot.

Once I settle on a load that gives me the accuracy and the ballistics I am looking for I sight in for the longest range I figure to be shooting that particular rifle and leave things right there. I then either memorize the ballistic performance of that load or tape a small ballistics cheat sheet to the stock to use until it is memorized. 

Below is a ballistics cheat sheet for a 270 firing a 130 gr bullet sighted to hit dead on at 250 yds. As you can see on a Deer size animal a typical heart lung shot can be taken with no problem out to 300 yds, holding just below the top of the back will be good to 400 yds no problem as long as the range is doped accurately.

Bottom line I would not worry at all about mounting and using that Leupold Rifleman on a sporter for deer hunting

Al

2017-02-16_180626.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

That's good to hear airedale. Thank you for the ideas and advice. You are right, this is only a big game hunting rifle and not a designated long range rifle. I wasn't worried so much about the 1/2" MOA just more of the friction adjustments, since they are not "clicks". Idk a hole lot about reloading and such. I just purchased some novels to read on reloading and making the most efficient rounds as far as speeds and trajectories go and etcc.. along with some dies to reload other calibers too. I'm certainly looking forward to this.
Most hunting centerfire riflle are dead on out to 200 and maybe only a few inches low at 300 and that would be my absolute max on a "good" hunting day weather wise. I will use this 270 to hunt with I'm sure but if it stayed a target rifle I would be fine with that as well. I have enough other calibers to hunt with.
I do have a mossberg 243 that came with a factory scope that I'd like to change so at worst it would go on that. I let my 11 yr old son shoot this gun as well as it being my go to coyote gun with a 58gr hornady. The leupold would be nice on that for after dark hunting.

Now I have to make up my mind again.

13 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Well I guess my decision for scope choice has been made, at least for now. My wife surprised me with a Leupold 4-12x40 for Valentines Day. She must know me pretty well, or is asking someone a lot of questions lol. I guess she still likes me!

You sir, are doing it right.  All I got for Valentines Day was the privilege to over pay for 2 dozen roses for my wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Totally agree with close up shots and low power. I'm looking for long range equipment. 200+ ideally I want to be a better shot out to 300 and 400 yards

I'm lucky if I can see that far;)

Totally agree with close up shots and low power. I'm looking for long range equipment. 200+ ideally I want to be a better shot out to 300 and 400 yards

Zoom won't make you a better shot, quality glass and range time will. A 12X scope of not very high quality is awful to look through.

• Like 1

Oh I know, low quality glass... Had it all my years of hunting lol. The scopes with "good numbers" and an even better price.

Just like everything else practice and experience. I won't go cheap on a scope but I can't break the bank on this one at the moment. I've swapped all "low quality" scopes off of my guns except for one that needs replacing still.

Oh I know, low quality glass... Had it all my years of hunting lol. The scopes with "good numbers" and an even better price.

Just like everything else practice and experience. I won't go cheap on a scope but I can't break the bank on this one at the moment. I've swapped all "low quality" scopes off of my guns except for one that needs replacing still.

I'm not even talk low quality. I have yet to look through a scope that cost under 1k that was clear on 12x anything over 7xor 8x really starts to show imperfections.

That being said I admit to have been spoiled while in the service and shoot Schmidt and benders that are some of the finest glass on earth.

• Like 1

I've been talking with my marine buddy who's coming home from overseas as we speak. He's pushing me more into vortex for being American made and great quality if the mid or higher grade scope is purchased.

I did not serve. And could only imagine the quality difference you speak of.

FWIW....Cameraland on LI does deals with a couple manufacturers and carries demo/ open box optics with full warranties at discount prices.

Bought a few things there and products have been perfect (as has service).

Way to own better optics at a break in price; they have lots of Vortex product.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:27 AM, helmut in the bush said:

I have a number of 3x9's and 4x12's but, I really like the low power scopes for up close shots, you can get on target quick with both eyes open. I have a few 1x4's and a VX6 1x6 thats real nice, just my opinion

IMG_1368.JPG

how do you like that leupold hog scope i've been looking hard at it lately..

9 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Its a nice scope, you can see pretty good in low light with it, it has a fire dot but I haven't used it, I could do without the circle in the cross hairs. I don't like the BDC scopes either, I like things simple

I agree with you all the way...

On 2/16/2017 at 0:31 PM, LET EM GROW said:

Id like to set this gun up for long(er) range shooting using MOA. This will be my first setup to shoot long ranges without bdc or "hold over". I love the concept and figured out how to do so with 1/4 MOA .. This scope is 1/2 MOA so im guessing the adjustment "clicks" will be half of 1/4??  

You can use the duplex gap to estimate animal size (if you know the range) and also as a secondary aim point. The typical Leupold duplex subtends 5" at 100yds. The top of the gap will be 2 1/2" high at 100yds and is a good value to sight in with. The bottom of the gap will be 7 1'2low at 300yds, 10" at 400yds, etc. 

On 2/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, LET EM GROW said:

I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Have to get a scope base for it still and then put it together. Hope it's more than friction adjustments

I would rather have friction adjustment than 1/2 MOA clicks. The turrets are probably like the old Vari-X II scopes and are marked at 1/2 MOA. If you pay close attention as you adjust you can get extremely fine adjustment.