Gimme Your $.02 On Ground Blinds Please

Lawdwaz

If it will be used in gun season, I would suggest that you attach some blaze orange material onto the outside of it. Remember the whole idea of wearing blaze orange in any deer season that has guns, is to be seen by other hunters so they know not to send a slug (bullet) in your direction. If your blaze orange is covered up by the camo of the ground blind you really are no better than hunting in full camo.

• Like 2

I've owned 3 or 4 over the years. Pros-most set up fairly quickly, are fairly easy to drag in and out of the woods, and definitely keep you out of the rain and restrict movement. Cons- camo pattern never really blends into surroundings, not really "portable" (meaning I wouldn't want to be lugging one around all day), not especially durable, and I don't think they've perfected the stakes/joints that bend in and out, mine seem to fall apart after a couple seasons, and I DON'T leave them out longer than a few days at a time. Granted, I've never bouught a high-end blind, but I'm a little hesitant to, given the fact that I've never had one hold up longer than 3 years.

Bought two this year, mainly to keep the g/f more concealed when she hunts. They are from "Best Choice Products", which for the money are not a best choice. For $100 bucks each you would expect a little more. If I remember, weight is around 5 lbs with out a seat. Haven't use them yet, some time this week I will get one out in the woods. I have to use them as a carry in out, not leaving them on public land.

They have the typical "pin-holes" all over near the seams, camo patter is not ideal for this time of year, but setting them um up in some pines/firs ( as TF mentioned ) should allow me portable ground cover.

I spayed them with a little UV killer, and today I spayed the one I am going to start using with Sawyers. It's airing out now. Which reminds me, they stink when you first get them, so make sure you air them out well.

Mine are the pop up hub style, with some practice it takes about 5 to ten minutes to pop, stake, and set the extra chords for really windy days. No more noise then a climber IMO.

The only downside is, you are on the ground, so you don't get the height advantage for seeing a little farther out.

blind1.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sounds like you guys aren't spending much on your blinds, what is a middle of the road priced blind going for $150?

How about Double Bull and Rhino Blinds, any experience?

I got mine on sale. Originally $169, I would have shipped them back at full price.

I would say $100 is fair for a middle of the road quality blind. $150 and up, should be far better. Anything over $250 better make it through a hurricane. IMO.

• Like 1

Sounds like you guys aren't spending much on your blinds, what is a middle of the road priced blind going for $150?
How about Double Bull and Rhino Blinds, any experience?

I have 3 double bulls and after 4 years of never coming down they are in perfect condition other than faded. I don't use hen often but if I was buying another today it would be a double bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have 3 double bulls and after 4 years of never coming down they are in perfect condition other than faded. I don't use hen often but if I was buying another today it would be a double bull.

Yowsa.........year 'round?

What model Double Bull?

The "Hub" blinds are the way to go . Quite roomy . You also need a chair . Problem with chair is if you are on soft ground the legs will sink and be uneven . I left one out for 2 years and it was trashed by the weather . I replaced it with a new one and tried to shoot an arrow out of it . This was from an elevated platform . The new blind was different and the bottoms of the windows were higher . I would have to stand up to shoot .

The Ameristep Dog House blinds are fine for gun / crossbow and also need a chair . These are the springy ones that fold up into a round backpack . They are worthless for shooting a bow out of them . I am only 5'8" with a 28" draw and the aren't big enough drawing a bow from . These blinds aren't  sturdy enough to leave out for any length of time .

14 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

I luv em for deer w rifle and turkey. I leave them out all season and cut a sapling just long enough to support the roof in the event of snow load which can cave them and break the rods. 

I bought a Golf Ball Retriever at WalMart and cut the top part of the Circular thing off . The retriever is adjustable and holds the roof up quite well . It was a $13 investment to save $100 . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

All my blinds have office chairs in them. Take the wheels off and they don't sink in. They are heavy to get out there but are the best thing I have found as they are silent and comfy.

Oh , that's great for you but what about the people in the office sitting on old orange crates ! :rolleyes:

wooden crate.jpg

• Like 2

I'm digging my ameristep hub blind... It's a 3 person one. Regularly 140ish. Caught on clearance at wally world last year after season for 75$.

Definitely going to pick up a few more... Work good for cover/thick areas. And with the three man I can draw my 30in draw bow.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2016 at 4:09 AM, fasteddie said:

I bought a Golf Ball Retriever at WalMart and cut the top part of the Circular thing off . The retriever is adjustable and holds the roof up quite well . It was a $13 investment to save $100 . 

Golf ball retriever, hmmm that sounds like a plan. Also I've had the sinking chair situation too and now use a folding metal chair with short 2x4s screwed in across the front legs and rear legs. I know a metal folding chair sounds odd but the smooth metal surface of the seat let's me spin to shoot out almost any window in complete silence. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 7:20 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I ordered a Rhino.

https://www.rhinoblinds.com/rhino-blind-xp-101.aspx

Wish me luck.................

I'm impressed with the blind.  It came Friday, I set it up in the family room last night just for fun.  Up and down quick and easy....

Set it up this morning in the yard and got the right chair figured out; Slumberjack Directors works real good as far as I can tell.  Easily a two man blind plus ALL the gear you'd ever want to bring.  Well made with damn nice material. 

I'll post some after I set it up for my buddy next week.

$229, no tax and free shipping.  I tried to talk a couple friends into buying as they are $199 if you buy two or more.  Keep that in mind if you're considering one.......

Edited by Lawdwaz