NYS Pistol Permits vary by Counties

fasteddie

In 1998 , I had to wait for 16 weeks to get my original pistol permit . It was a 44 mag Thopmson Contender . Since then i have purchased 3 more barrels and am required to have a permit for each barrel even though there is no serial # on the barrel so each one is registered to the same frame . Kinda dumb . A Sheriff Deputy friend said all I had to do was register the pistol as multi-caliber and use one permit . I checked with a neighbor who is a NY State Police Lt and he said individual permits and the County Clerk told me the same thing .

When I bought my 22/45 Ruger pistol , I got the permit in the mail in less than a week . I purchased a pistol 2 1/2 weeks ago and was told not to bother calling the Clerk's office as the person they deliver them to waits until he / she has a big stack and then signs them . The guy ahead of me in the store was from Livingston County and walked out of the store the same day he purchased the gun .

I can wait but it makes no sense as to the way each county processes the permits . In many counties , all the permits are on one paper . In Wayne County there is a separate paper for each pistol . Go figure !  ::D .. ::D .. ::D

in st law county if i purchase this morning, I can take paperwork to the courthouse and leave with the amendment the same day at a cist f three dollars.  we have plastic permits here now almost like a drivers license. We have one card for amendments. it hold 20 pistols on one card.  Every time I add one the print a new card and add it to the list. The same if I sell one and delete it.  He Ed thanks for the heads up for the site

In Livingston a nd Ontario County all we have to do is get a form from the gun shop/seller, take it to the county clerk, have the gun added to the pistol permit and they give you a purchase ticket. You then take th back to the dealer/seller and get your gun. You have to wait the waiting period at a shop or store, but you get it right away from a private seller. It took me 9 months to get my original permit to carry though. I have a plastic card permit as well.

The reason for our wait is that they wait for the pile to stack up before anyone breaks out a pen to sign them . I wonder what he/she does the rest of the time !

Plays Judge!  That is what makes the permit process BS. We have to follow the law to the letter. Then the goverment waits till it's convient for them to do the work we hired them to do.

Those permits should be out in a week, my god, all they do it hit em with a rubber stamp which should be the county clerks job. NOT A JUDGES!!!

In Nassau county you have to renew it ever 5 years (maybe its 3) and pay another $200+ bucks and bring all your pistols in every time.  Once my place upstate is setup, I might just have to move my official residence there so I can get the license there and call it a day.

SCOPEny.org is in the middle of a law suit with Nassau county over their colored gun BS.  There's a 12k legal bill. If all the permit holders gave $1.00 to that fund we'd pay it off and have some cash left over to launch another fight.

It amazes me 4,000 people can team up with Schumer on a salt water marine license yet some of these Schumer sportsmen  let a neighbor hang.

How about working on the ridiculous renewal process and the crazy requirements to carry? I'd donate to that, I can care less about the color issue.  I don't think I'd ever own a colored gun to be honest.  I'd donate to the other two causes i mentioned.

Full Carry License

A Full Carry License authorizes a licensee to carry a firearm at all times for the purpose of self protection. A Carry License will be issued only after "proper cause" is shown. "Proper cause" will be determined by the Police Department after reviewing the totality of facts and circumstances pertaining to the applicant's need for personal protection.

Why should I have to show proper cause?! And why isn't this clearly defined.  Why should police determine what is or is not "proper cause".  It is ridiculous.

SCOPE has worked on the renewal process & we can't get enough supporters east of the Hudson to make an impact. You better be worried about the colored gun laws. It only takes one county legislator to make a motion , followed by a fools vote and your guns area gone.

SCOPE filed suit and won arguing the counties were charging to much for amendments instead of the states $3.00 fee.

But as we all know NYC & the surrounding sisters have their own set of rules.

Now that there's a 2nd NRA Chicago suit it appears NYC will have to wait in line a little longer.

I suggest counties start dropping the permit process as being to costly. Everyone seems to comprimise a certain permit, heck with that,how bout none at all!

OK.. Now that the McDonald case is settled, it is time for us handgun owners to figure out what it means for NY. The fact that there is a geographic difference in licensing requirments, process and enforcment is counter to the concept of the 2nd amendment being incorporated into the states. Unfortunately, the way it is today WILL NOT change until it is challenged in a court of law. Todays process is arbitrary and caprecious, which is speficially outlawed (even by our penal code here in NYS). I advise everyone with a restricted carry permit to review section 400 of the NYS penal code and find all the areas of conflict. Only we can change it. To think that our elected officials will allow the right that the supreme court just incorporated is silly. They need to be forced. Just look at what Mayor Daly did since the McDonald decision.

I got my pistol license in 2 months maybe 2 1/2.... i could not believe it! when i went for my interview she said it could take 4-6 months but count on atleast 6.

almost 2 months to the day, i got it 2 weeks ago...

I just applied for a PA carry license, just because, and its only 26 bux, plus it gives you reciprocal to a lot of states.  Even if denied,its just 26 bux.  Figured I'd want it in case I do any hunting over there and its only 1 mile from my property.

What county

i am in suffolk county - long island

i dont think thats normal is it? to get it that fast? i was telling some buddies and they all said 4 months is around the fastest they heard of. Guess i got lucky? lol