How Early Before Sunrise Do You Get In Your Stand?

buffalojay83

My rule is to be in the stand and ready to go an hour before legall sunup. A lot of the guys I hunt with feel it is excessive but I like having the darkness cover me on the way in and it gives the woods time to settle. Some days you can see quite far even an hour before sunrise.  I am not sure it is the right answer but it is what I do.

• Like 4

Yeah that's what I'm gonna shoot for.  About and hour before, be up in the tree ready to watch.  I'm lucky, I don't have that far to hike in, so I don't think I even need a headlamp until I get to the tree.  It's supposed to be in the 20's overnight and only a high of like 40 tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get one in 9h.  If not, I'm going down to Stueben co. mid week and next weekend near Wellsville and/or Greenwood hopefully.  Might even tent camp or Jeremiah Johnson style rough it for old times sake. 

depends...always at least before twilight,,,but in gun season if it's not crazy cold 1 1/2 hrs....listen say it's crazy but I was nearly shot out of my tree stand 20 mins before legal hunting...I have been walking home in the dark after getting stuck in the stand by deer...to have the lease guys fire off a shot nearby, because there was a full moon and snow... I don't walk around unless I am right on the road during gun season in daylight.

15 minutes ago, cleverscreenname said:

My rule is to be in the stand and ready to go an hour before legall sunup. A lot of the guys I hunt with feel it is excessive but I like having the darkness cover me on the way in and it gives the woods time to settle. Some days you can see quite far even an hour before sunrise.  I am not sure it is the right answer but it is what I do.

This is my rule of thumb too.  With a climber, you might want to be setup even earlier.  Usually getting into the woods and up the tree is not the quietest of activities.

I like to be at my stand an hour before sunrise so tomorrow I plan to be there by 6 am . Like said above , it gives the woods time to settle especially if you bump any deer going to the stand . I get my gear up in the stand and settle back and watch the sun rise , etc .. It's about 1/2 mile walk to the stand I plan to use tomorrow unless my youngest son comes with us . 

It is forecasted to be 27 degrees tomorrow at 7 am . 

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

Always in the dark during bow and sometimes I'll take a real slow walk during gun. I've taken deer with the gun and bow for that matter on the walk in but always easier to pull off a good shot with the gun when walking in.

I start hunting the minute im in the woods and legal distance from the road .for that reason i wait till its legal light out  and still stalk hunt does not matter if i plan on using a stand or ground blind or not .

I will walk super stealthy slowly looking for deer and sign as i go . The idea of just staying in one spot all day long just not my thing .

Edited by 10point

I like to be settled in as it starts to get light. Most of my walking is along fields and being able to see and glass while walking in is a big aid in avoiding ones in the fields .  

My walk in from the fields to most of my stands is an average of 30 yards .

I hunt mostly mornings and this bow season I think I bumped perhaps 3 deer.

Plus I hate getting up,early !

• Like 1

depends on when the deer are expected to possibly come through.  sometimes just before and sometimes I like to be there long before as I want to be settled in once they enter and work through the whole smaller wood lot.  one stand I could sleep in.  nothing every came through but come 9:30 or later the flood gates would open.

Im in an hour before sunlight. If i can't get in before sunlight, then i won't hunt until the afternoon. I hunt fairly close to a property line and dont like pushing deer to the neighboring property. I sit on the ground during gun season so i dont have to worry about climbing in the dark. 

The most I do is 30 min before sunrise but it usually ends up being I start my walk 30 min before sunrise 15 min walk to my stand then a few min to get settled and ready to go just before legal shooting time. Last year late in the season it was cold out and the cabin was way to nice so I didn't leave until legal shooting. I ended up having a button buck 10 yards from the stand watch me get up and get settled in. I guess he just wanted to make sure I got up there OK. 

• Like 1