Full Sneak Deer Mount

Deadhunter25

Hey guys and gals,

I shot a buck that I am getting mounted and I'm looking for something different other than the usual upright or semi sneak and was thinking of going with the full sneak as the buck I shot had his head out checking does that he was pushing. But I am unsure how it will look. Does anyone have any full sneak mounts they can share or have an opinion on them in general? Thanks in advance.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadhunter25 said:

Hey guys and gals,

I shot a buck that I am getting mounted and I'm looking for something different other than the usual upright or semi sneak and was thinking of going with the full sneak as the buck I shot had his head out checking does that he was pushing. But I am unsure how it will look. Does anyone have any full sneak mounts they can share or have an opinion on them in general? Thanks in advance.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Back in the late 80's I found a bunch of big sheds in North Amherst, I only found one matched pair.  Those beauties were offically scored at 150" +/- an inch or two.  MY buddy Bernie Seitz and I made a swap on some caribou capes and he mounted the beast in a full sneak, looking left IIRC. I had seen him tending some does behind the house I was living in back then.

It was a great lloking mount to me and I kept it until I got married then sold it for a few reasons; short on cash, no personal attachment to me and I didn't want to display it with my other mounts I'd killed.  You see, I got tired of telling people I didn't shoot it and that it wasn't the real bucks cape etc etc.

I sold it through the swap sheet IIRC and was told it'd be hanging in a bar in Wellsville, NY.

The bottom line; I'd do another sneak mount in a flash.  :wink:

PS......If anyone knows of a DANDY perfect 10 pointer mounted in a sneak mount and hanging in a gin mill somewhere in  the Wellsville area, let me know.

Edited by Lawdwaz

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Mounted this one the other day. Not really sure about it...maybe its the forward ears I don't like? 

20161113_095135.jpg

20161112_095629.jpg

I think it is the ear position. I keep trying to think of bucks I've seen that are in a full sneak walk and I can only remember older bucks with ears back and younger bucks with ears forward. I'm sure that's not a rule, but I can't for the life of me remember seeing a full sneak big buck with ears forward unless he is stopping walking.

For the record, I like full sneaks but prefer they have an extreme turn or a combo of the turn and head down post with ears back.

I don't have a picture it's at camp.  it's an old mount in full sneak but looking straight ahead.  120" 8 pointer so nothing big.  If I remember right my great grandfather shot it.  ears in forward alert position.  had no opinion of it and didn't think it looked that amazing.  it was an older beat mount though.  it did have the classic look off stretching his nose straight out to the point of strain while tending doe.  I think so many full sneak mounts don't warm people over as they're in that position but still look relaxed.  those too don't happen naturally together to often.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Mounted this one the other day. Not really sure about it...maybe its the forward ears I don't like? 

20161113_095135.jpg

20161112_095629.jpg

I'm not a taxidermist and even if I was your work would probably be better. lol  that said I've seen them where ears both aren't equally fully forward with a slight head turn and it looks a little better I think.  kind of like when the deer turns his head and cocks the outside ear back a little or their both moving independently as if he's keeping tabs on any little sound that could turn bad.

Full sneak needs ears all the way back pinned down. I have 4 mounts, semi sneak straight, upright aggressive right, upright with chinned tucked, and straight upright. The Upright with his chin tucked down was a custom job had the head removed chin tucked down ears pinned against his neck and just looks completely pissed off I like this mount the most. The others look great and the only one with the ears forward is the 161" 10 in semi sneak he looks giant no matter what direction you look at him. I don't have any pictures of the Upright straight. Just for a little size reference the arrows in one picture are  28.5" 

Semi Sneak:

2015030895105908_zpsh3xz2vzp.jpg

Upright with chin tucked (also has a side angle of the semi sneak):

20160917_214318_zpsevfgubh9.jpg

20160917_214221_zpst7wiipdl.jpg

Upright aggressive right:

20130819_212144_zps852d96cf.jpg

20130819_212205_zps0a776dfc.jpg

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Ive never been a huge fan of the full sneak. not in a shoulder mount anyways. It would probably look cool to get an awesome looking full sneak mount (lip curl) done  trailing behind a doe making it look like hes pursuing her. but i could never afford that lol  

I always try to mount them, just as i see them before the harvest, as im sure alot of people do. but i dont think i can do a full sneak. 

I do not have any upright left or right turns yet. all 4 are semi sneak. I think the next will be upright one way or the other.. They always look good.