question on tree stand safety harnesses

goosifer

I would like people's thoughts on this. As far as safety (fall arrest) harnesses go, and specifically the part that loops around the tree trunk (cal it the "tree belt"), does the tree belt stay attached to the tree with the stand or stay with the harness on the hunter? I have eight treestands on my property. I hunt it along with a handful of hunting buddies. One buddy who helped me set up a treestand installed the tree belt with a large heavy duty steel carabiner on it. That way, you just have to take the loop at the end of the tether on the harness and clip it in. Convenient, I admit. It has been suggested to me to set up all the stands that way. My thought is that the tree belt should stay with the harness and the hunter, and each time the hunter gets in the stand, he or she is responsible for properly securing their harness to the tree belt (just loop the belt through the loop at the end of the tether first, and then secure it around the tree, that way no carabiner is needed).My thought it I would never want to trust my safety to a belt loop I hadn't installed myself. Also, if you are going to use carabiners, they need to be to climbing specs. If I'm not familiar with the specs of the carabiner, I wouldn't trust it. Lastly, being the landowner, I worry that if someone were to fall and the belt loop that was up there was not secured properly, there could be liability implications. So what do you think, does the tree belt stay with the tree or with the hunter?

Goos, as far as your question goes I would   keep belt or rope for tree with the harness.. ... I am with lawdwaz though. If they are not climbing stands I would have lifelines on each with a prusik knot. I would think the biggest danger of falling is the ascent, descent , or transition onto and off of stand.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rob-c said:

We carry ours in our packs,  to me leaving them around the tree is just not wise what if a squirrel decides to nibble on the belt on the very back side of the tree and you can't see it ? 

Never seen it happen.

With a safety line/prusik hitch you are connected from the ground to the stand and vice versa.  There really is no other way to do it.......why in God's name would you want to climb up, step onto the stand, turn around, strap on a safety belt to the tree THEN hook up?  Oh yea, then when it's time to head back to Mahogany Ridge you have to reverse the procedure; possibly in very dark conditions while stiff/cold/excited/scared or even elated.  I'll pass.........

To the OP; it's really quite simple.  Have your buds all donate a little cash and make up some life lines.  Then they all need to just buy a good harness with their own carbiner attached.  Then you guys are all hooked up from bottom to top and then down.  

Slick as snot............

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, rob-c said:

We carry ours in our packs,  to me leaving them around the tree is just not wise what if a squirrel decides to nibble on the belt on the very back side of the tree and you can't see it ? 

seems foolish to take with you and take a chance every time you get up to restrap

Lawdwaz, ncountry: I don't disagree that a Prusik knot safety line is safer than just a harness with a tree strap (tree belt), but in the context of a ladder stand, I have to believe that a lot of people consider just having a harness and tree strap reasonably safe. I don't care to debate that issue in this thread. That being said, I will look into adding Prusik knot safety line next year.

Paula: If I was the only one using the treestand, and if the treestand was the only one I ever used, I would also just secure the tree strap with a quality carabiner. But the issue is there are other people that hunt with me and use the stands. I am uncomfortable being responsible for the safety of the tree strap. What if one hunter absentmindedly takes it with him or her when they are done hunting,say out of habit/by accident, well then what does the next person do? Looking at it the other way, if I am hunting someplace new, I would rather secure my own tree strap than use the one that's there.

A lot of my question is not a right or wrong issue, it is more personal preference/personal risk tolerance. I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought on the issue.

Until i read this i have never heard of anyone removing the strap after a sit. I allow someone to use my stand, he only uses my tree strap.

I wear a HSS vest, i hook to the life line and stay on it until i haul the gun up and get settled the i switch to the tree strap  so i can get life line away from my feet

• Like 1

I've done all the things as mentioned above.  Leave a tree belt on the tree, and hook up when I get there, carry one with me, and wrap it and hook up when I get there.  Use a climbing belt while climbing....

Now I use a Q-safe mostly with my climber, and I have used it as mentioned in a hang on stand.  Also I use the HSS quick carabiners to quickly attach.

http://blindedhunting.com/ohio-hunting/q-safe/

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 1

The one thing i do not see mentioned is the proper height to have your strap in the tree, the strap should be at a height on the tree so it's a slight pull on your harness when sitting so if one does fall it's a short one. I myself am 6-3 my wife is 5-4 so yes we could leave a strap on a tree but we would be constantly adjusting to our height any ways. 

• Like 1

Some stands I have life lines in, but others I use tree straps. I leave my straps in the tree and check them each time I use them. They go out the first hunt from the stand and then all are collected at the end of the season. We have so many stands that we just havent ponied up the money to do life lines in all of them yet.

I don't like leaving stuff in the tree.  treestands even come down right after each season.  I use a rope style tree strap and carry it in each time and it can fit in my pocket.  this isn't the same as a lifeline.  I don't have life lines in every stand.  just ones I know I will be using the most or if they're a little harder to get into.  not many people replace their new looking harness after 5 yrs or belt style tree straps after only a couple if they stay out.  supposed to but rarely people do.

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I don't like leaving stuff in the tree.  treestands even come down right after each season.  I use a rope style tree strap and carry it in each time and it can fit in my pocket.  this isn't the same as a lifeline.  I don't have life lines in every stand.  just ones I know I will be using the most or if they're a little harder to get into.  not many people replace their new looking harness after 5 yrs or belt style tree straps after only a couple if they stay out.  supposed to but rarely people do.

At the end of the season i get everything off the tree and off the tree stand also.

AFAIK the bulk of falls happen when people are getting in or out of the tree stand. The only safe way to leave the ground is when you are secured to the tree. That can be stepping the belt up every few feet as one typically does when using a climber, or with the life line. Climbing up 20' and then strapping in not only requires you to never lose your footing while strapping in, but also requires the stand to never fail (because if it fails between you leaving the ground and strapping in you fall).

From DEC News Letter

Town of Ashford
Injured hunter:
On Oct. 22, DEC Forest Ranger Robert Rogers was notified by Cattaraugus 911 of a hunter falling from a tree stand. Rogers was the first responding unit in the area. Upon arrival, Rogers located a local farmer who was reportedly on the phone with the hunter. The farmer was familiar with the hunter's stand location and was able to lead Rogers to the victim. The Forest Ranger assessed the hunter's condition and called for EMTs from Morton's Corners Volunteer Fire Department. According to the hunter, he was bow hunting and began to climb out of his stand when the stand failed. The hunter then fell approximately 25 feet to the ground, injuring his lower back and hitting his head. The hunter stated that he was able to get to his feet, walk several steps to find his cell phone, and make a call to his mother before being overcome by pain and falling back to the ground. Further medical care was provided by West Valley Volunteer Fire Department and Mercy EMS while Ranger Rogers organized extrication. The individual was transported by Morton's Corners Volunteer Fire Department off road rescue unit to an awaiting Mercy Flight Helicopter. The hunter was then flown to Erie County Medical Center for further treatment. The hunter reportedly suffered fractured vertebrae.

From DEC News Letter

Town of Ashford
Injured hunter:
On Oct. 22, DEC Forest Ranger Robert Rogers was notified by Cattaraugus 911 of a hunter falling from a tree stand. Rogers was the first responding unit in the area. Upon arrival, Rogers located a local farmer who was reportedly on the phone with the hunter. The farmer was familiar with the hunter's stand location and was able to lead Rogers to the victim. The Forest Ranger assessed the hunter's condition and called for EMTs from Morton's Corners Volunteer Fire Department. According to the hunter, he was bow hunting and began to climb out of his stand when the stand failed. The hunter then fell approximately 25 feet to the ground, injuring his lower back and hitting his head. The hunter stated that he was able to get to his feet, walk several steps to find his cell phone, and make a call to his mother before being overcome by pain and falling back to the ground. Further medical care was provided by West Valley Volunteer Fire Department and Mercy EMS while Ranger Rogers organized extrication. The individual was transported by Morton's Corners Volunteer Fire Department off road rescue unit to an awaiting Mercy Flight Helicopter. The hunter was then flown to Erie County Medical Center for further treatment. The hunter reportedly suffered fractured vertebrae.

This is exactly why I fork over the cash for a lifeline.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1