How windy before you stay home?

agross

Was looking at the weather for opening weekend in 7P.  Saturday a little warm with a breeze but Sunday much colder with rain and snow and wind between 15 to 25 mph.

Ugg.  Its going to be a long sit on an exposed ladder stand, especially knowing that my brother with be inside his newly built shooting house with windows and a heater. 

So at what wind speed do you call it quits for the day.  Not only for lack of deer movement but for safety reason such as falling branches or trees.

Wind doesn't mean deer won't move; it is just another factor into where and when you will find the deer.

This bow season probably had the highest avg wind speed I think I've ever experienced in a bow season. A few times I thought I was crazy to be sitting in it for safety reasons. We only have a few areas where we have bottoms that will shelter the heavier wind and the stands there are much safer as the wind is nowhere near the top level speed hitting the taller trees up high.

There isn't a number, as it is more adjusting your tactics IMO. Even being on the ground provides some options - standing corn, spot and stalk, even with bow.

• Like 2

If trees are moving a bit, no ladder stand (in a stand and have fear of falling, the wind just makes it worse)

If trees are swaying and branches are coming down, I stay home.

If the wind is going right through my clothes so that I am cold, I take a break for warm food/hot drink and then re-access for the reminder of the day.

If I am using a bow 25 mph is about my max and typically do not see as much movement when conditions are like that, not that they do not move it just seems they do not like when they can not use sight, smell or sound when it gets that windy. 

Gun I could care less about wind unless it is past 30 mph or really gusty to point trees are coming down.  Then I just try to watch above and make sure when it does get bad I am not in an area with many large trees or widow makers hanging in the tops.

Like stated above just because it is windy does not mean they will not move, it just seems like less movement to me.

during gun season, I love using the wind to my advantage to get into places I normally would not be able to go without chasing out everything that lives there..

Try still hunting into some thick cover and finding a spot where it opens up a bit and put your back against a tree...    you will sometimes be amazed at how much movement there is

I've said before and will continue to say, I'm almost starting to think the deer prefer the wind.  It's uncomfortable and you have to stay mega alert but as far as movement I think it has 0 effect on tbem.

After what I saw this past Friday I have to agree. 15-25 mph winds and deer were up and moving big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am watching the Sunday forecast.  Winds at 20-30 mph,  gusts may go to 40 mph by me.

Not sure I want to be in the woods with gusts like that.

Perhaps some no-shows for reservations on the other public parcel on Sunday.  There are some open fields there.

Otherwise may be working on the honey-do list on Sunday.

deer don't go home when it's windy.  that is their home.  anything over 20 miles per hour I've found changes the way they move and makes them more alert.  depending on how cold it is i'll hunt pockets and leeward faces if the winds steady enough to be consistent.  when switching stands during gun i'll still hunt ridge tops when it's windy.  going slow and have had deer holed up and chasing below while staying out of the wind.