4L

Rebel Darling

• 2 weeks later...
I went up there yesterday around cherry plains saw a few tracks along the roadside can't wait for a day off to do some hiking see if I can't find one in all that snow. You have much luck in the capital district wma?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Have yet to take advantage of it for deer. I've only gone in for squirrel, and that was last year. I'd like to get to know the terrain better before I still hunt the place. I had planned to scout it this summer, but life pushed aside many of my plans...

I'm very fortunate in that my neighbors have been very generous to allow me to hunt their property, and that's pretty much where I spent my bow season if I was hunting 4L.

I did buy a topo map for Capital District though, and think I have a couple/few decent spots to scout on foot now.

Good luck in there, and let me know how you make out! Hope you lay one down...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I scouted a bit in the Capital District WMA a little over a month ago.  I found some decent sign, and bumped a bedded doe, who, most likely, wasn't alone.  I found some heavily flagged areas with surveyors' tape.  The tape seemed to snake across large swaths of forest, back and forth, and, in my opinion, are most likely used by a still hunter.  There's an old orchard I came across, but I'm betting that section is well known to the locals who have been around a lot longer than I have.  Looked to be visited pretty well by human feet.  Didn't see any trail cameras, though, as I have in other parts of the WMA.

I also saw a beech tree loaded, and I mean loaded with nuts, and I made sure I made note of that location.  I think it's going to be a pretty good beech year around here.

I did find a rub and some trail in an unexpected locale, not too far off a foot trail, and I'm excited by the possibilities presented there.  I think that'll be a good spot for mid-morning to dark sits.

In other 4L news, I noticed that DEC issued DMP tags this year.  I didn't get one because a preference point was required, but I did get a preference point, should they offer them up again next year.

Edited by Rebel Darling
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, mowin said:

I know a few guys that hunt Taborton Mt.  They also live in the sand lake area. 

Forgot to mention that the wife and I sometimes head down to Jackson's in Old Chatham for dinner and drinks at the bar.  We like the tavern quite a bit.

Back on the 4L front, saw a fresh rub this afternoon.

8 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

Forgot to mention that the wife and I sometimes head down to Jackson's in Old Chatham for dinner and drinks at the bar.  We like the tavern quite a bit.

Back on the 4L front, saw a fresh rub this afternoon.

I live 2 minutes from Jackson's.  Nice place, little pricey but good food.