Does anyone miss the Monday opener?

The_Real_TCIII

Monday Regular Season Opener  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you prefer?

• Saturday
    • Monday

Im already feeling stressed about this weekend, rushing down to camp Friday night and its all business getting ready for Saturday. I miss the Monday opener. It was a nice relaxing weekend at camp, doing some bowhunting if I had a tag or just hanging out for a couple days and then the big day Monday. We used to make a big deal out of Saturday dinner, someone would fry a turkey, we'd have the smokers going etc. Now we are in the woods dark to dark both days. Dont get me wrong I love the gun opener I just wish it was still a Monday

• Like 2

I was just discussing with a friend of mine..   there was something magical about the Saturday and Sunday leading up to a Monday opener..   things just don't seem the same anymore..   My vote would be to go back to the Monday opener.     I also used to like the no hunting on Sunday

• Like 2

I said prefer monday but it's purely for selfish reasons; i can take time off easily and some others may not be able to d, so less pressure.

As for rushing around if you've been out bow or crossbow hunting the only thing you need to do on saturday morning is remember to grab a gun instead of a bow ;)

Edited by Core

I voted for Saturday only because it makes me not have to burn time off of work which up until this year I didn't have much time to burn. I think no matter if it was Saturday or Monday I would still be rushing around like crazy as that seems to be my general lifestyle currently. 

• Like 1

I agree....Monday was way better....sneak in a last day bow hunting or just time to prep for the opener.
I am stressed as all heck out the opener Sat. Busy all week at work and with appointments and errands in the evening. Try to spend some quality time friday with the family before hunting this weekend. No longer head to camp with having to little ones under the age of 3....so it is nice to have a bow deer in the freezer allowing me to hunt both mornings and dedicate the afternoon to them.
Need to pull the battery in the ATV to put on charge it....killed it last weekend by accidentally leaving the key on...so just another thing to add to the to-do list!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Always preferred Monday.  Arrive at camp Saturday......do a little scouting, then dinner followed by cards (Pitch) and socializing. No worries about staying up too late. A little more scouting on Sunday....watch a little football...have a big meal...hit the hay early and ready to hit the woods hard for Monday through Wednesday. 

Now, some of the crew doesn't get there until after work on Friday and it's a rush for them. Guys want to be good Friday night and ready for the opener, so hearty socializing comes Saturday after the first day of hunting. That leaves a groggy hunter or two or three Sunday morning, which is only good for the deer. 

Anyways........good luck to all this weekend. 

Edited by bobdun
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I agree....Monday was way better....sneak in a last day bow hunting or just time to prep for the opener.
I am stressed as all heck out the opener Sat. Busy all week at work and with appointments and errands in the evening. Try to spend some quality time friday with the family before hunting this weekend. No longer head to camp with having to little ones under the age of 3....so it is nice to have a bow deer in the freezer allowing me to hunt both mornings and dedicate the afternoon to them.
Need to pull the battery in the ATV to put on charge it....killed it last weekend by accidentally leaving the key on...so just another thing to add to the to-do list!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cant you pull start it and run it to charge?

The change was the death of deer camps...Now it's rush rush rush ...no time to relax ,check stands..enjoy friends and or family... I blame schools...our school hated the fact that so many kids called in sick...they finally gave in but it was a loss of state money for every kid missing...so they said...I think they helped the push to move it..:dontknow::wink:

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

I don't understand what difference it makes.  If you could take Monday off to hunt, why couldn't you just take off Friday to get ready for a Saturday opener instead?

This exactly. I do not see the difference. If you took off Monday and Tuesday back then just take Thursday and Friday now!!

I actually prefer the Saturday opener. I would not let my son miss two days of school, maybe the opener but not the next day. This way my kid misses no school. I am sure he would prefer to miss school though :rolleyes:!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

When I was younger and had little to no Seniority getting time off was haphazard at best Saturday opener cured that ! As I'm about to retire for good (tried it twice already) opening day could be Wednesday and I wouldn't care !

Its certainly great for the folks that couldnt get Monday off and now get two days to kick off the gun season

• Like 1

This exactly. I do not see the difference. If you took off Monday and Tuesday back then just take Thursday and Friday now!!

Because Monday and Tuesday were hunting days Sat and Sunday were...hhhmmm... freebie relaxation  days...Taking Thursday and Friday off ..You have neither a hunting ,not a freebie relaxation day...get it?:wink:

I have only known a Sat. opener in NY, but hunted the PA Monday opening day a few years back.  It was fun getting together with friends, but I really wanted to be in the woods on that Sat. and Sunday while we were waiting.  I have no problem with a Sat. opener, but I don't hunt at a camp either so I could see the benefit to those that travel.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

Because Monday and Tuesday were hunting days Sat and Sunday were...hhhmmm... freebie relaxation  days...Taking Thursday and Friday off ..You have neither a hunting ,not a freebie relaxation day...get it?:wink:

Nope! Not at all. Just old farts who don't adapt well!!:taunt:

jk

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2