Does anyone miss the Monday opener?

The_Real_TCIII

Monday Regular Season Opener  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you prefer?

• Saturday
    • Monday

Saturday benefits the folks with no or  limited vacation...so I'm fine with that. Reading the replies it appears the camp hunters preferred Monday which is understandable. I'm retired so it does matter to me Sat or Mon.

If a Sat opener gets more hunters into our sport then I feel all hunters win.

• Like 1

Seems to be a camp / no camp vote. 

Don't own a camp , but I've been a guest to many , not OD though as I won't give up my farm spot that day !!!

My non camp friends who have week ends ,off seem to like Sat opener more hunting for them , less precious vacation days to divide up. I don't work a M-F job so no big deal to me .

Although I'll say this on Monday , around me many just took Monday off leaving the area to me the rest of the week , as they went back to work I liked that .

When I worked in a factory for 9 years it was Monday opener, it was impossible for new guys to get that day off ! So ya that sucked big time. 

Edited by Larry302

I have to say yes and no. 20+ years ago I would leave for camp Sunday morning with my father and grandfather. It was a really special time for me that I only realize how special now...we would come home Wednesday night...have thanksgiving at my grandmother's and head right back to camp after dinner.  I would take those days back in a second. Since I can't take them back the Saturday opener works much better for me presently..

I voted  for Saturday just because I am so anxious to get the gun season started, especially this year.  But I do remember the Friday, Saturday and Sunday prep days and Monday opener, along with the socializing and get togethers without the prospect of needing to hunt the next day. 

Two days at camp with no hunting? That's what the Monday opener gave you. Either way, it has to cost you 1 day vaco from work, You either take it on Friday as a day at camp, or you take it on Monday to hunt. For guys that could not get any days off, the Saturday opener had to have been an absolute gift. I think it was a brilliant move to put the opener on a day that is typically off-work for almost everyone. It can make the difference between being able to hunt the opener or not for a lot of people.

First off, I hunt archery very hard and gun very little. I don't have a preference but Saturday is definitely the most logical.   Many people; employees, college students, high school can get out easier on a Saturday.  I believe the DEC/NYS, thought it would increase gun hunters.  The bottom line, this young generation just isn't into hunting.  As the baby boomers continue to age and more and more land is posted I think it'll even get worse.  It's sad and I'll do my best to get my son involved in this beautiful past time.