Carrying both during gun season?

BizCT

Or I was thinking of the second bullet point is only in effect during archery seasons, but not during regular season.

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.

Then there is this 3rd bullet  relative to smokepoles:

All hunters participating in the muzzleloading season must follow these requirements in addition to the other regulations in this guide.

• Each hunter must have purchased a current year Muzzleloading privilege with his/her hunting license.
  • The legal firearm for this season is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season.If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License.
  • Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm.

During the regular gun season I believe you can, I just peeked and can't find anything saying otherwise. Both are legal weapons during the regular season. But why would you want to? Just curious.

Was thinking now that I have ground blind of bringing both in with me. If a nice buck comes by under 40 yards i shoot with xbow. Otherwise I go with gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Was thinking now that I have ground blind of bringing both in with me. If a nice buck comes by under 40 yards i shoot with xbow. Otherwise I go with gun.

Why not just use a gun and done? Doesn't matter if you use a x-bow or gun, you still have to use the regular buck tag or a DMP. Just seems like unnecessary gear to me.

But, it's your dance Biz, tear it up cowpoke. LOL

Why not just use a gun and done? Doesn't matter if you use a x-bow or gun, you still have to use the regular buck tag or a DMP. Just seems like unnecessary gear to me.
But, it's your dance Biz, tear it up cowpoke. LOL

Just meant it would be cooler to get a nice buck with xbow than gun. When I still hunt I would carry gun and leave xbow in blind. My walk is only 1/2 mile to blind so not a big deal to have gun slinged over my shoulder and carry xbow. Odds are I'll just carry gun but was wondering if it was legal.

1 hour ago, Napping in the woods said:

Then there is this 3rd bullet  relative to smokepoles:

All hunters participating in the muzzleloading season must follow these requirements in addition to the other regulations in this guide.

• Each hunter must have purchased a current year Muzzleloading privilege with his/her hunting license.
  • The legal firearm for this season is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season.If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License.
  • Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm.

During the Muzzleloader season. NOT during regular season

Right, because such regs exist for both bow and muzzleloader season, one could surmise a similar reg would be in place for regular season.  However, it doesn't appear as any such reg exists in NY but it does exist in PA and that is where I probably got my wires crossed.

I humbly stand before all of you stating that my response to Biz's question is probably wrong, it, in fact, may not be illegal to carry more than 1 legal weapon in the woods during regular season. :)

Edited by Napping in the woods
  • Like 1

Right, because such regs exist for both bow and muzzleloader season, one could surmise a similar reg would be in place for regular season.  However, it doesn't appear as any such reg exists in NY but it does exist in PA and that is where I probably got my wires crossed.

I humbly stand before all of you stating that my response to Biz's question is probably wrong, it, in fact, may not be illegal to carry more than 1 legal weapon in the woods during regular season. default_smile3.gif

You're talking about a state that considers a Xbow a muzzleloader, thinks gangsters will only load 7 rounds in their guns and thinks that although a handgun owner is responsible enough to carry a handgun in public isn't responsible enough to carry one in the woods during bow/muz season. It is never safe to use common sense or assume when talking NY LAWS.

• Like 6

On 11/16/2016 at 1:53 PM, ....rob said:

But why would you want to?

I asked this question a few years back at both my hunter ed and bow ed classes. In both cases I was told it is perfectly legal.

that was after an odd look and the above question. :)

my answer was "why not?"

• Like 1

You can use a bow or and an x-bow during the gun season but you have to follow gun hunting rules. You have to use your reg. tag not your bow/mz tags. So you can’t shoot a doe on your bow/mz tag you would need a dmp for the wmu you are hunting. I do not know about the bow only hunting areas. In the late bow / mz /x-bow season you can bring all 3 with you as long as you purchased both the bow and mz privileges I would still call the dec to check

For a few seasons, I carried a Remington 870 12 ga with a short slug barrel and open sites in addition to my scoped T/C Omega 50 cal ML during regular gun season.   The shotgun carried easily on a sling and several times I used it to kill second deer after taking the first with the ML.   Up in the stand or blind it was no issue, but a bit of a pain when walking to and from, limiting still hunting options a bit.    I live in a shotgun-only zone, and these days I carry just one gun most days while hunting at home: a scoped, bolt-action, rifled-barrel, 12 ga Marlin 512.  In my hands, that thing is equal in accuracy to the Omega 50 cal ML at 150 yards, but allows two reasonably fast follow up shots. It also packs at least double the energy at that range, extending my reach on deer to close to 200 yards (163 was my longest kill with it).   It only failed me once, when it froze up and would not go off, costing me a doe at 20 yards.  Hopefully, a disassembly, cleaning and lubrication has corrected that issue.  

I like my crossbow, and it has been 100% effective for me, but it's 50 yard effective range limitation keeps it in the house outside of archery season.    I have no interest in "challenging" myself, I simply want to use the most lethal, legal weapon available to kill the deer cleanly.   I do appreciate the reduced meat damage from an arrow compared to a bullet, but I never loose much good stuff from center lung shots with a gun.  I also like the option the gun gives me, of sacrificing a little meat by hitting the shoulder of a doe with fawns, but thus getting the chance to keep the family together in "deer heaven" (my family's food supply).                       

Last year during my bowhunting course the DEC officer specifically said that at a certain point in the season you could if you wanted to carry a bow, crossbow, gun at he same time. I personally wouldn't but I believe carrying multiple weapons at the right point in the season to be totally legal.

I think it is perfectly legal to carry as many weapons as you are willing to drag along if you are talking the regular gun season. Frankly, I have my hands full just toting my scoped rifle and all my other gear. I can't really think why I would ever drag along other weapons unless my stand was just a few yards from my house ..... lol.

This question conjures up a funny imaginary vision of some guy pushing a wheelbarrow full of weapons through the woods on his way to his stand. It would make a heck of a funny cartoon.