Approx. Age of this buck???

NYBowhunter

3.5 is my guess but that angle is a challenge.

Depending on when pic was taken, there is some swelling but the full neck doesn't roll into a barrel chest of a 4 year old +. Body still seems long, but again that could be solely due to angle.

No tarsal staining apparent. The back line in both pics is pretty straight.

Not much in the pic makes me think 4+ but a lot of that could change with the pic angle.

Edited by phade

9 minutes ago, phade said:

3.5 is my guess but that angle is a challenge.

Depending on when pic was taken, there is some swelling but the full neck doesn't roll into a barrel chest of a 4 year old +. Body still seems long, but again that could be solely due to angle.

No tarsal staining apparent. The back line in both pics is pretty straight.

Not much in the pic makes me think 4+ but a lot of that could change with the pic angle.

I agree could  be a 3yr. Old as well.. Pictures do pose a bad angle for judging. Thx

As others have said tough angle. To me he looks like a really healthy 2.5 , still exhibits deep pronounced shoulder and hip pockets, straight line back and stomach profiles, also the snout looks to still be on the slender side. He has good width but seems to be lacking in mass.
Nothing personal it's a nice looking buck that a lot of people would be happy to put a tag on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

As others have said tough angle. To me he looks like a really healthy 2.5 , still exhibits deep pronounced shoulder and hip pockets, straight line back and stomach profiles, also the snout looks to still be on the slender side. He has good width but seems to be lacking in mass.
Nothing personal it's a nice looking buck that a lot of people would be happy to put a tag on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lol I thought this was funny... 2.5?? 

I can't believe everyone is aging this deer so young....you can't judge a buck's age by his antlers.  That being said you can't guarantee age by a pic but that buck is 4 1/2 all day IMO and definitely 3 1/2 at the absolute minimum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 607 HUNTER said:

Not sure why i cant quote anybody. Not sure whats wrong with this site. Anyway.

Larry, trust me if it were that easy he would be down long ago,  i have alot of pictures of him but unfortunately they are all well after dark

Fletch, i agree he could be either 3.5 or 4.5.

Hard to say age of a buck from a trail cam photo. A buddy of mine just shot a buck in Connecticut that is 8.5 years old! Weighed 203 dressed. Six point coke bottle bases. There are some really old deer running around. We can give an educated guess, but the only way to really know is to put him on the ground and send his tooth in. Some of the urban bucks have sanctuaries that let them get old now.

• Like 1