Your Opening Day Spot

grampy

Is it a spot you've used many times? Is it somewhere you never hunted before? Perhaps just set up on fresh sign or a recent sighting? Private or public land? Do you expect other hunters to push deer to you? Or is other hunters tha last thing you want? Will you just walk in the woods, find a good looking spot and sit down? Maybe even still hunt? I'd like to hear what everyones "opening day spot" is like!

My opening day spot will be in a ladder stand overlooking, buckthorn and overgrown pasture field, that borders a hemlock swamp. After post season scouting, last winter, I found this spot. Moved the stand a couple months ago and will be hunting it for the first time on Saturday .  It's on the very back of our property and State land is not far away. So hoping for maybe a bonus deer or two, to be pushed my way as well. Some of the best bucks we have on camera, this year, have been frequenting this area. Will just have to see how it all plays out. 

No matter where you will be on opening morning, best of luck to you all!

• Like 10

I'll be out on private in Catt county in a stand I hunt pretty much every opening day. It's a ladder stand on a ridge with thick cover that always has deer moving through. 7 years in a row on opener in this spot and have seen deer and could have shot deer every year. 

• Like 1

I'll be in public spots I know very very well with my 12 yr old cuz. My dad and uncle and other cuz will be there too. We will treck in far at first light. I've never seen another human track where I go bc the drag back would be brutal. Never had a chance to get a shot out there but have seen plenty. Hope to get a crack at one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Private land. 70 acres.  A ground blind we built 2 summers ago so daughter could tag along a day or 2 last year. This year she's hunting as well. It's 40 yards above a series of 2 trails the deer meander thru hardwoods where they have the best cover . They typically browse along the way. Cam has been up covering these 2 trails since August and have had the best deer on it . My ladder stand is about 40 yards on the other side of the cam but I blow right at these 2 trails and have known for years I was missing out on deer behind me. Not any more. I also will be hunting the blind solo on Sunday. She's not going to be too particular on a buck with only 3 days available to hunt and 1 for ML season. Really hoping the nice wide 8 or big 10 come by for her. But forks, spikes are also fair game. I've never killed a deer like either of these and I ideally I want her to get one of them. We may get some pressure from one side a half mile or so off  which may not be a bad thing. After not seeing a thing for youth hunt this opening day has been well anticipated.

• Like 5

Depends if grandfather will be able to make it out.been having hell of a time with his c o p d so weather permitting and how hes feeling.stand of his choice then ill sit elsewhere.only hunting 36 acres.have a tripod setup corner of pines by the stand (inside of pines)ive hunted all bow season and seen deer every sit.thats where he plans on sitting of he goes.id like to see em get a crack at one sence he hasnt been out yet this year.if he doesnt go ill be in that stand or another hot spot i sit on opening morning

• Like 3

I'll be in the blind with sis Saturday morning.

Not exactly sure yet what kind of sign or terrain features we'll be hunting over yet.

We'll probably end up wherever I get tired of carrying the blind around Friday evening,lol

Usually for opening day I concentrate on deer moving due to pressure coming in from the road behind us. This year may be a little different though since I haven't seen any serious chasing yet. With a little luck we could see a parade of bucks in the first hour no matter where we set up if things finally snap in the next day or two.

• Like 2

Ladder over looking cut bean field with thick brush to the east .

its on the south edge of the woods and deer walk that as well , but daughter will be in a stand near by and gets the " woods" deer I get the field ones.

For opening day, plan A is to hunt from sunrise until noon from a new, permanent stand that I put up this summer in the woods at the back of our farm.   It is only about 8 ft up, with a roomy deck, padded swivel chair, and 3 ft high shooting/safety rail all around with walls on three sides.   This one is comfortable for long sits.   If a friend from work does not show, plan B is to hunt from a two-story blind, near the center of our farm.  I made that one from an old construction-style truck cap, set on a 3 ft wall, built on an old snowmobile trailer.   The lower level is especially nice for windy, rainy conditions.  Last summer, I built the upper deck on the ladder rack and it also has a 3 ft high wall around three sides.  There is still a little corn left on the adjacent field, which makes for some pretty good hunting (see crossbow harvest thread).

For opening day afternoon, I plan on driving north about 20 miles, to my in-laws old house.  They are trying to sell it before moving full time up to their retirement home in the Adirondacks.   They want to borrow the cap that I have on my truck now.  After moving it onto their truck, I figure on hunting in little patch of woods behind their house, probably from my hammock chair, strapped to a tree. I picked up a DMP tag for there, in addition to a 3rd one for home, in the second draw.  If the rain/wind is as bad as they are predicting, plan B is to come home and hunt out of another enclosed blind for the afternoon, located a long distance from the two stands that were hunted in the morning.  

I would be very thankful for one button buck by Sunday afternoon.  Our venison supply is good now, but that would be the icing on the cake.  It should be doable, considering I am also planning some pre-season crossbow hunts: Friday morning, from a ladder stand at the front of our farm that I can see from my bedroom window.  Friday afternoon, from a natural blind in a hedgerow at my folks farm 15 miles to the Southeast.  I also plan on a Sunday afternoon shotgun hunt there, in the horrible, windy, rainy snowy conditions that they are predicting, from another comfortable two story blind.                

Edited by wolc123
typo
  • Like 1

My plan A went out the window. Plan was to have the g/f on private land up in the NZ. Plan B, is to hunt a swamp where she picked out the spot for a morning hunt. Plan C is I will hunt the evening solo on a ridge where the dang deer keep staying just out of bow range, the deer rifle might ( and I hope ) mess with the regularly scheduled "Stay just out of bow range and giggle at Rob.". 

• Like 2

Opening day: 100 yard wide wooded ravine that runs east / west between cover and surrounded by open crop fields. It's new to me and has a heck of a buck roaming the area.   Sunday:  I could be on the ground, public land, where hardwoods meets pine woods loaded with sign. I found this spot last weekend while roaming around. Good luck to all.

I'll be in private property in the same stand for opening day that I've used for the past 20 years. Its in a spot on the property that doesn't get hunted a lot but is a natural escape route for the deer being moved around. They seem to hit this area and feel safe and slow down to walk. I don't always see deer from here on opening day but chances are between the 2 days I will have a chance at something.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will be hunting public land with my 14yo son beside me for his first opener. This will be the first time sitting on this piece for the opener. And while I have scouted and hunted a few spots in here over the last couple of years I do not know it well yet. It is a few thousand acres and from what I am told gets hit pretty hard opening day. We have hunted a different piece of state almost exclusively opening day for the last 30 years minus maybe 4-5 years. The last few years have been a big disappointment and lack of shooting....So trying something new. I brushed in a nice spot with a wild grape backing on a small knoll a ways in. We plan on going in early and sitting as long as he is able or we drop a couple......Good luck to all.

• Like 2

Ill be missing opening day but my spot will be on the same property ive been hunting the last 8 years and the same spot ive hunted the last 4 or 5. Its a hang on 60 yards from the edge of a field. Seeing good sign coming from that field, but recently its mainly been at night. I would like to hunt the spot that ive been seeing most of my deer now, but im a little unsure if ill be able to shoot a rifle there due to one barn being with in 166 yards. I'm trying to find the number of the person that owns that so I can ask for permission to shoot. Ive spoken to them a couple times, but at that point I wasn't sure about the yardages for the other houses so I never even bothered. 

• Like 1

Opening day I will be on the ground next to a large Hemlock, the same spot I have hunted on the opener for the last 15+ years. Private land, 310 acres in the Catskills. I'm 70 yards from a saddle in a ridge and 40 yards from a finger that runs down off the ridge to a large flat. I can see north and south about 200 yards and east up the ridge about 130 yards. Multiple deer runs across the Hemlock flat I am in the middle of and several runs where the deer come down off the ridge, including the finger. Don't always see deer in this spot but when I do, the action is steady throughout the day. 

Sunday will be spent still hunting depending on Saturdays results. Only 7 of us this weekend so lots of land to cover if needed. Couple of the guys have 4 wheelers and head out for lunch. I stay out all day so when they head out, sometimes the deer head my way which is always good.

I will sit in a new spot on a friends 300+ acre property halfway between a small stream and Rockledge ridge. Have a pretty good field of vision,maybe 100 to 150 yds all around and I think people on the neighbouring property will be pushing deer towards me. Just hope I won't havento deal with people trespassing though,just looking for deer.

Last year there were shots coming from this direction,I was 1/2 mile further up the stream.

This scenario should work out well if we get wind out of the south.

Also just tried the muzzleloader out today,first shot was bullseye at 80 yds. I can not believe how far away 80 yds looks after two months of bow season. Makes me feel like a sniper...

Edited by BowmanMike

I will be hunting the same area behind the house, but this time I am far more prepared.  The cams revealed a hot spot for travel and I have a new stand set up to take advantage of it.  Hopefully all the scouting and preparation pays off.

I will be in a brand new spot with a friend on opening morning of rifle. I looked over maps of the property and surrounding properties to get the lay of the land. We did a quick walk thru of spots that looked good from above and picked out a few stand sites to use for a couple different winds. Always nice to pick up new land to hunt.