Your Opening Day Spot

grampy

My spot has yielded so many deer over the years. On the edge of a bedding area where they cross from the feeding area.

That stand has someone in it during legal shooting hours all the time. I usually hunt it hard the first two days. This year I gave it up for my Niece who is looking for her first buck. 

• Like 1

I'll be sitting same spot I left off during bow season. Saw plenty of deer just outside of bow range or just inside some thick stuff that the arrow wouldn't fly thru. A bullet should make it right thru that thick.

I found a real fresh and really big rub a couple hundred yards up the hill . So hopefully the buck decides there is too much pressure up there and comes down to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well ..I would have said I will be in my ladder stand that I mostly hunt. It is about 200 yds from our property line with a horse farm off my right that nobody hunts till rifle. BUT I have not seen a shooter buck out of that stand all archery season AND we put a stand up late summer about 75 yds away in the bottom of the ravine just in case I was seeing deer moving there this season. (I haven't) One of our lease members asked me last night what time I was going in sat am cause he wants to sit the stand past mine in the ravine and doesn't want to interrupt me going in. (How thoughtful) I said all this land...all the stands we have and you are going to sit on my lap for the gun opener? I wasn't happy.  I know this guy has been Hunting my stand hard when I am not in it and I am thinking he saw a good one. We have a lease rule that we can hunt any stand not being hunted by the person that owns it. Most of the guys ask if you mind and don't pressure a certain stand. Not him and not happy about it...hope we don't invite him back next year and I will make sure everyone knows it

15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Bringing my son.  Only one double ladder as an option but it's in a decent spot.  Killed a doe there last year on opener.  As the doe approached last year, I could hear my son whispering "oh my God, oh my God".  Good times 

Thats awesome moog, i took one of my boys bow hunting and he noticed a doe coming , he said dad here comes one. I turned to him to talk to him and his legs were shaking uncontrollably.  Mind you it was 60 degrees out, i said what happened bud you cold...lol..buck fever biit him bad. Hoping he can get that under control in the next 2 years before his first hunt. Gotta luv it!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Well ..I would have said I will be in my ladder stand that I mostly hunt. It is about 200 yds from our property line with a horse farm off my right that nobody hunts till rifle. BUT I have not seen a shooter buck out of that stand all archery season AND we put a stand up late summer about 75 yds away in the bottom of the ravine just in case I was seeing deer moving there this season. (I haven't) One of our lease members asked me last night what time I was going in sat am cause he wants to sit the stand past mine in the ravine and doesn't want to interrupt me going in. (How thoughtful) I said all this land...all the stands we have and you are going to sit on my lap for the gun opener? I wasn't happy.  I know this guy has been Hunting my stand hard when I am not in it and I am thinking he saw a good one. We have a lease rule that we can hunt any stand not being hunted by the person that owns it. Most of the guys ask if you mind and don't pressure a certain stand. Not him and not happy about it...hope we don't invite him back next year and I will make sure everyone knows it

Your rule is if  the owner of a stand is notuseing it the anyone can right? He is not braking the rules so what is the problem? You stated that you think he saw a big one and that is why he is going there. Sounds like you are worried he might get a nice buck in what you feel is your spot. Also upset because you think he might have seen a big one when you saw nothing. Just how your post reads to me.

I'll be set up in a ladder stand behind my house on my little piece of land that I've hunted opening day of gun for the last 3 years. Something about it being home is special to me. I've had some great days, and some terrible days, from this stand. It makes my daughter happy to help track when I am successful though. The stand overlooks a bedding area and an acorn flat.

14 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Your rule is if  the owner of a stand is notuseing it the anyone can right? He is not braking the rules so what is the problem? You stated that you think he saw a big one and that is why he is going there. Sounds like you are worried he might get a nice buck in what you feel is your spot. Also upset because you think he might have seen a big one when you saw nothing. Just how your post reads to me

I hope everyone gets a big dear...I am pissed that a new guy this year...who contributed no work to the lease...no trail camera...and no stand...wants to sit in my other stand 75 yds away from me when we have a lot of stands and alot of acerage where we can all easily be separated by at least 500 yds. If he goes to that stand. I will sit someplace else and I may anyway since he has apparently been sitting there Monday thru Friday for two weeks without even letting me know 

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I hope everyone gets a big dear...I am pissed that a new guy this year...who contributed no work to the lease...no trail camera...and no stand...wants to sit in my other stand 75 yds away from me when we have a lot of stands and alot of acerage where we can all easily be separated by at least 500 yds. If he goes to that stand. I will sit someplace else and I may anyway since he has apparently been sitting there Monday thru Friday for two weeks without even letting me know 

How is he part of the lease? Did he have to put up money to be on the lease? Is there a rule that he has to let you know he uses your stand? U said the rule was if owner is not in it then anyone can use it nothing about letting the owner know. Is there a rule that one has to put out trail cams or do any work? You said you were pissed  that he was using your stand ad that you thought he saw a big one there when you hadn't  seen anything. Yet the rule you stated says he can use it when you are not in it. Is there a rule that there has to be a certain amount of did since between hunters? knowing the rule about stand use why put a stand 75 yards from another one knowing someone else can use it? By the way 75 yards is far enough that you could each different deer passing. 

You are pissed that he fallowed the rule and only use stand when you are not there. Now he wants to use another stand that you will not be in , still within the rule yet you are mad at him. Just Sounds like fear that someone else will get something you want. Sry .  New to lease or been part of it for years he still has the same privileges  as everyone else as long as he paid his share doesn't  he?

3 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Your rule is if  the owner of a stand is notuseing it the anyone can right? He is not braking the rules so what is the problem? You stated that you think he saw a big one and that is why he is going there. Sounds like you are worried he might get a nice buck in what you feel is your spot. Also upset because you think he might have seen a big one when you saw nothing. Just how your post reads to me

Jeez is your name Jeff and do you hunt 4k?  Do we have written rules about asking...no does everyone else ask?...yes...it is a courtesy...if I ask it gives the person an option to say I want to let that stand rest...I'll be in there in the am...the exact reason why I am sitting where I am instead of where I would like to be..stand owner is resting spot for rifle opener and I respect that. NOBODY ELSE on the lease would consider doing that. You don't have two stands close together to watch a specific area? I have no idea if he saw a big deer. I just found out he has been sitting my stand mon - Fri for two weeks straight when I am at work...and he avoided my trail cameras which you would have to do on pupose. Nobody else here would burn up another hunters stand like that...and yes...we have rules for hours worked on lease and you have to place one stand that is yours and you forfeit that stand when you leave or are not asked back...all august and Sept was ill do it next week. Next week apparently never came for him. So yes I am pissed...agree to disagree

I will be high on a mountain in the Adirondacks. Away from anyone wearing orange. With no fear at all if anyone coming in and messing up my hunt, no fear of anyone being in one of my stands and no fear of anyone being 75yds from me. I'll hunt southern zone during the week when I don't have to deal with the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Probably a game tie decision for me. I tend to like hunting stands near our property line with hopes of them pushing deer my way opening weekend. Its never panned out though. Our spot historically goes dead once gun season rolls around. Most likely ill be in a stand on the hill side on a small oak flat and close to a bedding area.

I am headed to camp tomorrow. Will be in my father's box blind all of opening day. I will be there all weekend, next week and the following weekend. Only coming out for 4-5 hours for  Thanksgiving dinner. Good luck everyone, stay safe and have fun.  May not be on too much over the week since reception is pretty spotty.  

Public land and have a couple areas in mind, if someone is not already sitting there as it sometimes gets crowded.

I have an evening area picked out, Heard  a couple grunts there just after dark last weekend (time went by fast and forgot about the time change, so I had to hike out in the dark from scouting).

I'll be in a double ladder stand in the hardwoods @jmp500 he will be in his climber 75 yards to my left facing opposite directions. We will be on the same middle ridge covering opposite funnels coming down the same mounting. Teamwork at its best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will be in a ladder stand with my shotgun on private property behind houses over a 2 acre swampy field that we keep quiet year round. Can't be any bigger than 5 acres all together. Just so happens it's a natural pinch point that deer funnel through when other hunters are shooting like hell ... Very exciting

Good luck everybody be safe

Family property I've hunted my whole life.  We have a wooden stand on the property that's been used for over 25 years.  It was my fathers' opening day stand until he stopped hunting around 8 years ago.  I then started hunting it opening day.  The stand has been productive every year, as it over looks several trails and borders some pretty thick crab apple patches.   It's been rebuilt a few times, and looks like after this season, it's due for another re-build.

3 years ago on opening day, my oldest daughter was with me in it when I harvested a doe that she passed on shooting.   2 years ago we were in it opening day together - she passed up a few shots, but I was able to watch her harvest a nice buck the second day of the season.  Last year, she was on he high school senior trip opening day, so I had the stand to myself.

Looks like this year, the reigns are being passed, and she'll be solo in the stand, and due to a bum knee, I'll be staying in a ground stand that I used opening opening day years ago.  This stand has a nice shooting lane towards a ditch that the deer have to cross as they travel down a well worn path - dropped many deer on the other side of the ditch as they stop before crossing. 

I don't know where I will be strange as it may seem. At our deer camp we always draw numbers out of a hat that are for each stand on the property. So...I could be in a number of different locations...all good. My preference...is a stand that is on an inside corner of a huge goldenrod field used for bedding cover. The acorns are still thick under some trees there. Good movement zone, bedding cover and feed.

But the weather is going to be a factor...here in Allegany County the wind is going to howl in the afternoon with rain, according to the reports. Should be a good morning, but a tough afternoon. Expect to break out the rain gear. Then Sunday we will have a covering of snow...so snow camo...with a bit of blaze orange is going to camp too.

• Like 1