Your Opening Day Spot

grampy

I am now wondering what this will do to movement...They have been here 21/2 solid days injecting manure in 100acres. I've lost count on the # of tankers that have come to refill the spreader. One field boarders us...but all surround the lease guys camp... all The traffic on the farm road alone could Change things up...hope it keeps them down this way and across the street.Thank heavens they started next to us first...They haven't even got to the big upper field in the middle of the leases woods yet.

Thinking they aren't too happy with the his timing...being out of state guys

I'm torn between 3 different hunting areas miles apart.  Deer have pretty much gone nocturnal in all three and it will be hit or miss in any one area. First time in all the firearms start, haven't laid down a fixed area. Got my eyes on a couple fair bucks, one of which I have a five year history with, so maybe that could be my first choice this weekend.

• Like 1

They haven't even got to the big upper field in the middle of the leases woods yet.

They are up there on that big middl of woods field right now they should be there well into dark...I really shouldn't find this delightful...but I can't help it...The deer will either move here across the street to the santuary next to me or clean over to the east side of hill and that little valley..the trucks are no longer using our road...they are using the east valley road then right past the lease camp and up the farmer road to field

Hey Grampy! I am new to this website and old time hunter (40 years or so). I am planning a hunt at Hi Tor WMA. Have you or any of your followers hunted Hi Tor? I have been hunting the Barrington NY area since the late 1970's but we lost the farm! So, I bought a cabin in the Italy NY area. What can you offer as advice for opening day at Hi Tor? I'd appreciate any comments. Thank you.

4 hours ago, growalot said:

I am now wondering what this will do to movement...They have been here 21/2 solid days injecting manure in 100acres. I've lost count on the # of tankers that have come to refill the spreader. One field boarders us...but all surround the lease guys camp... all The traffic on the farm road alone could Change things up...hope it keeps them down this way and across the street.Thank heavens they started next to us first...They haven't even got to the big upper field in the middle of the leases woods yet.

Thinking they aren't too happy with the his timing...being out of state guys

Liquid Manure? In my experience it creates an invisible funnel as deer try avoid moving on/through it for a couple days to a week or more sometimes.

injected...but the traffic alone has sent a bunch of big boys down here already...Then you have a connection of woods from them down here and from the neighbor across from that big middle field they are doing connects to us...and they were had an accident and tore up their shoulder...so I'm not too sure if that property will see much or any action opening week end...they refused to hunt it last year to avoid pushing deer to the neighboring properties. Not me but the guys on their other 3 sides......They have had years of problems with trespassing and being nearly shot by them...they had John Hill on speed dial...lol

Here we go...that opening day dilemma...where to go where to go...complications, I redid all cams and went to feed the chickens and do a window repair and hunter orange display in one of the blinds...OMG some of the tracks were crazy big and they are on ALL of the trails. No kidding one set the size of a deck of cards and the dew claws were dug in deep...on what looked like a walking gate. there were no cams there...the ones I have out are showinglets say some really good deer...but no set times or days...and gun hunters change everything...many walk in during light so they can get a shot of...some are stalkers that work with a partner...so I know the deer will be pushed..

The farmer...still going strong up there in fact a truck just came down our hill...I think they are doubling up as one comes in the back way the other leaves our road so there is no wait time on the refills That is a good sized field and he is going ever so slow...so I know they are injecting an awful lot each pass, well over 30 tankers the size of oil tankers.

Any how I always pick the wrong opening day spot...I just might as well flip some coins...lol...Good luck guys ,I hope your coin tosses favor you all:wink:

If I ever lost this spot I would seriously have a nervous breakdown its the best place in the world for me, I've been hunting it on opening day for 15 years or so,, helping the landowner replace a couple of sliding glass doors next week and fixed a broken window for him,, its the least I can do...

Good  luck in the AM