Do you hunt differently on public land?

10point

I just go to a little different area on state land, and or walk in and do not stay near the road.

I find during the bow season that never see other hunters but come gun it is a sea of orange. Car /' trucks riding the roads to look for deer. I hunt the town of North Pharsalia  NY, it is ab out 13 miles west of Norwick NY, it has over 15 000 acres in the town...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sweet old bill said:

I just go to a little different area on state land, and or walk in and do not stay near the road.

I find during the bow season that never see other hunters but come gun it is a sea of orange. Car /' trucks riding the roads to look for deer. I hunt the town of North Pharsalia  NY, it is ab out 13 miles west of Norwick NY, it has over 15 000 acres in the town...

Cool i have hunted that area around McDonough  years ago 

Have not been up there in probably 6 years now .Been hunting state land  closer to home lately in 3j

I have hunted in public areas a lot years ago that received a ton of heavy hunter pressure, and I would hunt them completely different from an area I was hunting in when by myself. When the pressure is heavy normal Deer movement is thrown completely out the window. Deer are looking for places to hold up and hide in the daylight hours and will not move unless driven out. I would always try to identify those hideouts and the escape routes to and from them. I would sit on the escape routes in a spot where I had good visibility and wait. Through the course of the day sooner or later hunters would start beating the bush looking for those hiding Deer and my plan was always hoping I picked the right spot and those Deer trying to avoid those hunters would present me with a shot as they tried to slip away. I had some pretty good success using that method.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 1 month later...

My #1 rule for public land hunting in western NY is if there are cars at the trailhead, I don't hunt there.  Too much pressure and too many opportunities to get shot by someone else.  Bow-hunting may be a little different, but for firearm hunting, this rule has worked well enough for me.  The only problem is that it becomes exceedingly difficult to find isolated spots like these in western NY once the regular season starts up.  You have to get a little creative, but if you find spots/parking areas that are off the beaten path and relatively unknown to other hunters, your chances of success are a lot better.

• 1 month later...

It depends on the state/public land and the season. The private land I hunt has little pressure, mainly just myself and a trapper, so if I get bored I still hunt. Public land during the gun season I will still get up and walk around, but not as much as I used too. If I see a bunch of vehicles in one area I will move to the next. There are a couple areas within 45 minutes of me in 4B that don't really get hit that hard, mainly the people who live around the land who access via their back yard.