My waterproof boots...aren't.

We all have our own wants and needs. My favorite boot to hunt in is my rubber Lacrosse 800g boots.  Although I get cold on mornings in the 30's, I love how streamline they are.  I hate bulky and I hate laces.  The aspect I prefer most of all with my rubber boots, my pants either tuck into them or bunch up on the top of the boot.  I never have wet or muddy pant legs.  With this being said, my 5 year old lacrosse finally failed, sole pulled completely apart.  I threw them out last week.  I think after Xmas I'm buying the Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 18 1000g.  I do have 1600g Irish Setter that are great but I only use in sub 30 degree days.

Edited by Taylormike

By golly that does it.

I'm off to LL Bean. I will wait if I have to and have the boots shipped. Apparently their insane warranty policy does indeed cover stuff like waders and rubber boots, so I will see about some lacrosse from their site.

The boots that leaked this morning are total rubber 16" high "swamp tracker" boots with the field & stream name. Speaking of which, I was in a swamp yesterday, but only in and out of puddles as I walked around. Got back to my car at lunch and my feet were damp, now confirmed this morning.

Reason I'm doing is LL bean is if I'm spending $150-200 for a pair of boots I need them to last. I don't need ten years, but I want at least a few years out of them. And I was really sold on the muck boot concept yesterday, regular hunting boots just would not have covered it (even the waterproof ones). 

20% off at bean right now too. Unfortunately llbean might only have the 1600 G boots which is probably overkill for 40 degree NY deer season.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

My Danner leather boots are 30 years old and my Sorel are 40+ years old nither have leaked or let me down. Every year before hunting season I get out the hair dryer and warm the leather up and then take a paint brush full of sno seal and put a good coat on them ,warm  them up again with the dryer and wipe off the excess. The only rubber boots I wear are my hip boots when I go fishing.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:23 PM, Hock3y24 said:

Muck artic pros are thenonly way to go, I got mine for $160 and I'm going into year 3 now.

Muck boot Artic  pros are the way too go, Got mine last year from tractor supply in january for 120.00 and my feet freeze normally, But with a pair of bass pros wool socks and some toasty toes im good for hours on stand, Ive gotta walk through about a foot of water too get to my stand and this year they have really made a huge difference, 

On 11/17/2016 at 3:29 PM, stubby68 said:

Bought a pair of mucks once. Never again. I felt every twig I walked on and first patch of brush I walked through left them shredded .  For the price I would think they would have better soles and last more then one outing.

The artic pro have way different soles than the other styles very aggressive tread and are more like a normal boot if not thicker they have some weight to them but when you put them on and tuck your pant legs in youll never notice them,, 

Irish setter makes a couple boots i like .The Elk Stalker is full leather and we alll know how durable leather si. i also have a pair of the gortex boots from irish setter  i think they are 450 grams of insulation the elk stalkers are 1000... . i do sparay my gortex boots with a shot of silicon spray  during those wet hunts it just a bit of extra security and i try not to stomp the briars in them either.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:04 AM, zeus1gdsm said:

Very interested in reports on those kamiks pap. I have some at a local store but not at that price.

Don't like that they don't rate the insulation in grams.

However that olive pair looks good

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I found it confusing, too, looking at some boots recently without the gram weight, like 3.5mm or 5 mm of neoprene.

On 12/11/2016 at 8:55 PM, Papist said:

Btw guys, I have been field testing my Baffin Trapper boots these last few days due to the Mucks leaking. They are great. Spent hours out in the snow, laying under trees, up in stands etc and I never noticed my feet being cold. They just felt normal. Got 'em ages ago as a back-up boot but only opened the box recently.

Those look nice and the continual single material without seams looks like it would be resilient and waterproof.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...