Safe weekend

Zag

Know your target and what is beyond. Almost all of us are using rifles now, and under some circumstances this allows you longer shots with more distance to scan closely. Beware of those that still insist on wearing camo. There still are some out there tempting fate and they could be blending in with any part of the woods behind that deer. So, while blaze orange is still the most effective safety item in the deer woods, there are those that like to place their safety in the hands of luck, and they are out there in the woods with you. Maybe a lot closer than you realize.

Yes , lots of orange   Be careful if you happen to be walking thru thick stuff. Private land or not , never assume you're the only one out there and your safe   Please wear safety harnesses while climbing   

Those early shots when it's still dark make me chuckle. All I can think of is "Billy Bob is removing his loaded gun from behind the seat and accidentally takes out his dashboard ". 

Be safe and looking forward to reading your " live from the woods" posts. 

And don't forget your TP^_^

• Like 2

As we all know, a little common sense goes a long way. No deer is worth getting hurt for! Always set a good example for the young and inexperienced hunters. Always think safety, before and after, the safety comes off. Let's all make this the safest hunting season ever! And a heartfelt good luck to all!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Yes , lots of orange   Be careful if you happen to be walking thru thick stuff. Private land or not , never assume you're the only one out there and your safe   Please wear safety harnesses while climbing   

Those early shots when it's still dark make me chuckle. All I can think of is "Billy Bob is removing his loaded gun from behind the seat and accidentally takes out his dashboard ". 

Be safe and looking forward to reading your " live from the woods" posts. 

And don't forget your TP^_^

Haha, I had the same thoughts about early shots

I have a flashlight that flashes a bright red light off and on. I set it up on the corner of my stand, so no one can set up in the dark without knowing I am there. I turn it off about 1/2 hour before legal shooting time. by that time , my blaze orange can be seen clearly.

Years past, I have had people sneak in on me way too close for safety. In the dark, I didn't see them come in, and they didn't know I was there. Of course we both assumed we were there first, and a lot of irritation developed as somebody had to move at a very late hour of the opener. Now with my flashing beacon, that can't happen. It may look stupid, but it avoids a lot of arguments and inconvenient relocations.