You can always tell....

92onCaliHollow

59 minutes ago, 92onCaliHollow said:

As an archery hunter in the woods, you can always tell when the gun guys get to their camps for the first time. 

All of a sudden the chain saws started and now the shooting begins. Nothing like waiting to the last minute to see if the guns are in or make sure u have firewood

I have been listening to this one guy shooting his gun every night for the last 3 days from about 3:30 to sunset. Not that I'm complaining but if he is hunting that area come opening day I say good luck with all the shooting he has been doing and to boot at the best time to be in the woods. Neighboring property I hunt down here had a bunch of guys out walking around cutting stuff with the chainsaws. I try to do all this during the summer months to keep deer habits from changing and allow deer time to adjust.

Usally on public land opening  day  no matter what you hear  gun shots by the end of the day . I believe lot of guys just before they leave the woods take a shot just because they have not used there gun since last season  and are checking if there scope still works. Or at least thats my theory because you hear so many more gun shots then you see deer being draged  out of those public lands .

Edited by Deerstalker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

Usally on public land opening  day  no matter what you hear  gun shot by the end of the day . I believe lot of guys just before they leave the woods take a shot just because they have not used there gun since last season  and are checking if there scope still works. Or at least thats my theory because you hear so many more gun shots then you see deer being draged  out of those public lands .

Or they just completely miss.

• Like 1

Then there's Howie, a guy I hunted with years gone by .

Hunted in blue jeans, jean jacket , upland vest and a brown cowboy hat.

One OD he's late so,we head out ( farmland ) as its getting light he pulls up to the house , then finding us gone drives down the road and down a lane way.

Little bit latter BANG, back comes car with buck in trunk. We go over, "sorry guys I could not find my slugs, " see he hasn't even looked to his hunting gear since last year.....  Scout ? Lol , pratice with gun ha ha , scent control pay attention to wind ?  No . He found  3 slugs and drove out to hunt. He figured we would not be where he was going so he drove there , walked a bit and was leaning on a hay wagon smoking a cigarette , when a buck stepped out of the pines at 30 yards  . " Well see you guys gotta get this cut up  " and off he went .

Every year Howie killed a buck. 

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3

Guy i spent many opening days with in the past arrives at camp the night before opening day.....usually shoots about 1 min after legal time.....texts me the sex and distance he shot it at.....and if it is a good morning droops another one before we head in for lunch.
After the first time I have learned to text him to start recovery and gutting process and I will be over after 11 to grab the deer with the ATV...first year he waited for me to arrive and wanted help gutting...that process of recovering two deer and help clean took till mid after noon and I missed lunch and made it back to the stand for a few hours that afternoon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Larry302 said:

Then there's Howie, a guy I hunted with years gone by .

Hunted in blue jeans, jean jacket , upland vest and a brown cowboy hat.

One OD he's late so,we head out ( farmland ) as its getting light he pulls up to the house , then finding us gone drives down the road and down a lane way.

Little bit latter BANG, back comes car with buck in trunk. We go over, "sorry guys I could not find my slugs, " see he hasn't even looked to his hunting gear since last year.....  Scout ? Lol , pratice with gun ha ha , scent control pay attention to wind ?  No . He found  3 slugs and drove out to hunt. He figured we would not be where he was going so he drove there , walked a bit and was leaning on a hay wagon smoking a cigarette , when a buck stepped out of the pines at 30 yards  . " Well see you guys gotta get this cut up  " and off he went .

Every year Howie killed a buck. 

Good for Howie, thinking it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time