When "deer hunting", do you shoot small game?

Core

I've never gone small game hunting, but I'm thinking that if I am waiting for a deer and a pheasant (male only in my area), grouse, or rabbit comes along I would think about going for one of them. Do you ever do this? Or does your deer rifle just take out too much flesh to bother?

It is illegal to shoot pheasants with a rifle or pistol.

With a rabbit, you better make a head shot or you will just waste the animal.

Back in shotgun only days my Uncle used to carry a few shotshells in case he wanted to shoot a rabbit or a grouse. 

You are probably better off just sticking to deer hunting.  With my luck if I decided to pop a bunny rabbit, I'd spook the big buck that was heading my way just out of sight. The only critters other than deer that I shoot while deer hunting are coyotes.

• Like 7

I agree with everyone else. I would (and have) shoot a coyote. And even that I would think twice about at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Any other time they are going down if I can get a shot. Even with a .223 I would think a squirrel or rabbit would be pretty much toast if it wasn't a head shot. I am not going to ruin the rest of my sit for a squirrel or rabbit. I would shoot a turkey with the bow but they only seem to come by either just before or just after the season when I am sitting in my stand.

• Like 1

Did so once during gun season.  Obliterated the rabbit.  Won't do it again.

Did so once during archery season.  Never felt a need to do it again as it's simply not worth it.  I always think there's a deer just behind a bush in the distance that might get spooked.  Yet, still, I always carry a bludgeon tip broadhead in my quiver regardless.  The closest I've come since then was taking the arrow off my quiver and holding it my hand thinking about nocking it but then I thought "Eff it...not worth it" and put the arrow back in my quiver.

Once when I was 16 or 17 I was deer hunting in Allegheny County, PA and I decided to take some shot shells with me because there were squirrels everywhere. Why not, right?. After a couple of hours I got bored, ejected my slug and put in the #6. I'm ready to shoot a big squirrel and BOOM, a shot rings out about a hundred yards from me and a true giant of a buck came running up the hill right toward me. I fumbled with the shells, dropping them everywhere, desperately trying to get a slug back in the gun I  jammed the action. The buck stopped 15 yards in front of me and I could do nothing. Never again!

• Like 1

I came real close to shooting at a squirrel with my crossbow this afternoon.  The funny thing was, that as soon as I decided to shoot, he got real skittish and would not stop long enough for me to get off a good shot.   My buck tag is already punched and our freezer is nearly full with that and a couple does, but there is still room in there for a squirrel or two.   My first shot at game with my crossbow was at a grouse.  I went for a head shot and missed.   I did kill a squirrel with a head shot from my old 50 cal side lock ML on the last day of late ML season quite a few years ago.  It was just about sunset, and he just happened to show up at the right place at the right time.       

Ha-ha ...... Its a shame about that 19 pointer that was about to step into the open. Lol..... Just kiddin'. It looks like you made a nice shot and knocked down the population a little.

What are you going to do with it now. Ready to try your hand at a little home taxidermy or tanning?