What time did you hear the first shots today.

burmjohn

6:40. Sunrise is officially 7:12 or something. But in their defense it was very bright.

I heard the BULK of gunfire this morning before sunrise. It then petered off massively by 7:30 and then just a smattering from time to time continually less in frequency until I had to go home at 9:30.

At 6:35, the far hill kind of lit up for a few minutes as apparently some deer began to run the gauntlet. Then shooting got real sporadic with just a few shots here and there. It is probably one of the quietest openers that I have heard in a long time. I know that the DEC whining about huge overpopulations of deer is pretty much on target. The hunter traffic seemed to be a little heavier than it has been in recent years. So I am not sure just what is happening, but things are very quiet.

However, I deserve an Atta-boy from the DEC, because I dropped a doe about 8:00 or actually a bit before 8. Here in 8N, they tried last year to threaten and harangue the bowhunters with demands and threats that they are the chosen ones to single-handedly reduce the herd in this and several other WMUs. Well, I didn't do it with the bow, but I did do it. The .270 once again came through. 

• Like 2

First shot was at 6:15 am. I figure that early, even though the moon was still bright...and you didn't need a flashlight to walk through the woods, somebody shot a hole in their truck, cabin porch or wall. Knuckleheads doing something stupid. Maybe someone was shooting at a deer, and that is certainly possible..but I think at least a high percentage of these crazy early shots  are caused by just bad or inept gun handling.

I counted 87 shots by 8 am. And probably 150 or so in the next hour, but I had stopped counting. For many years I have been counting shots until 8 am. This  morning's count was a slightly below average shot count for Southern Allegany County. A little over 100 is about average.

I heard about a dozen before sunrise in 9F.   My buddy shot a button buck about 1/2 hour after sunrise.  That was the first legal shot I heard.   I always have a vision of a game-warden going immediately to the sight of the first illegal shot.   They could get the unlucky poacher on two charges: hunting before season and shooting before sunrise.