Thinking about carrying the crossbow for the rest of rifle...

ApexerER

So with a BBD on opening morning and only having a doe tag left I am seriously considering hunting with the crossbow for the rest of the season. Can anyone give me a reason as to why I shouldn't do this? Even if I have the biggest buck ever out of range I couldn't do anything about it anyway with no tag. I have killed deer with my Bow, Rifle and Shotgun but never with a crossbow. Thinking if I bring the crossbow and get a doe down with it, it would be a lot more exciting than just shooting one with the rifle. Anybody see any reason not to do this? I know the guys on the lease will think I am nuts....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yes lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Im disappointed in you then  got to take it off and go old school with iron sites lol 

Just joking . :taunt:

But  seriously I don't have a Muzzleloader and I'm thinking about getting one what is a good starter muzzleloader to get ?

• Like 1

Im disappointed in you then  got to take it off and go old school with iron sites lol 
Just joking . default_taunt.gif
But  seriously I don't have a Muzzleloader and I'm thinking about getting one what is a good starter muzzleloader to get ?

Lol...I have a cva wolf package from cabelas came with a konus 3x9 on it and to be honest it's my favorite gun and I have no plans on changing that. If i remember right I was right around 350 for the kit. I shot a nice doe at 180 last year and dropped in her tracks have shot to 200 with it practicing and would have no issues touching out that far. And that's with 2 50 grain 777 pellets and Shockwave 350 (I believe I'd have to look) many guys run loose powder (blackhorn) and have even better results...in the cva you would have to get a different breech plug to use it tho.

• Like 1

If I manage to fill my buck tag (which is highly unlikely because I am holding for a 2-1/2 year or older buck now), I would definitely consider carrying my crossbow while working thru my last two DMP's.   I have killed a couple of bucks it, over the last three years, but no antlerless deer yet.   What I would like most would be to get a button-buck with it.  There is not room for much more venison in our freezer now but I could always make space for one of those, even if it means throwing out a big turkey my wife got on sale.  That button meat is so darn good that it is a shame to waste any of it with a gunshot wound.   What they lack in quantity, they more than make up for in quality on the table. The liver and tenderloins of the one we killed Saturday morning were "to die for".  There will be room for anther one, on the hook, when I process the rest of that one Wednesday evening.   

8 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Lol...I have a cva wolf package from cabelas came with a konus 3x9 on it and to be honest it's my favorite gun and I have no plans on changing that. If i remember right I was right around 350 for the kit. I shot a nice doe at 180 last year and dropped in her tracks have shot to 200 with it practicing and would have no issues touching out that far. And that's with 2 50 grain 777 pellets and Shockwave 350 (I believe I'd have to look) many guys run loose powder (blackhorn) and have even better results...in the cva you would have to get a different breech plug to use it tho.

Thats the one im thinking of getting cva wolf .50 csl  question can you use up to 150 grain ? With that ? Or am i misken ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Thats the one im thinking of getting cva wolf .50 cal  question can you use up to 150 grain ? With that ? Or am i misken ?

Edited by Deerstalker

Thats the one im thinking of getting cva wolf .50 cal  question can you use up to 150 grain ? With that ? Or am i misken ?

Yea you can i tried it a few times and noticed not significant change so I don't use it. Personally if I wanted to get all I could outta it I'd run loose powder and really dial it in. But I am very happy with my current set up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I would carry one also if only for the shot at another Doe !

There so light another reason I want one.

Yea but if you think about it most the time you only get one good shot before they start runing . Then its a crap shoot if you hit one . I think you can reload  the new ones  pretty fast if im not mistaken.  anyone know if you can buy them legally from the internet shipped to you door or do you need pick it up at a gunstore .

Saw some good deals online for them .

15 hours ago, chrisw said:

Apexer, do you have a hunting appropriate caliber handgun? Something in the 357 or 44 line perhaps? You could always try for a pistol kill, and bring the crossbow along too!?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't, I have a .22, .380, 9mm and a .45....I have never looked at the regs but I don't believe any of them would be legal to harvest a deer with. Isn't there a minimum barrel length?

I don't, I have a .22, .380, 9mm and a .45....I have never looked at the regs but I don't believe any of them would be legal to harvest a deer with. Isn't there a minimum barrel length?

If the barrel is less than 8" then you can load up your 45 and use it. There is no 6 round restrictions on handguns with less than 8" barrels. I'm not aware of minimum calibers, although out of your lineup I'd only use the 45 and limit shots to bow range or less.

• Like 1

After getting a buck yesterday, I've been thinking of doing something similar, filling my DMP.  Since I didn't get one with my bow earlier, I may go with that. The crossbow is still looking to go out. And my old TC Thunderhawk Shadow hasn't barked in a while. Also, my 12 year old grandson still has his Jr. Archery tag. So maybe I can get him to fill that too, if the weather will cooperate . But the rifle is done for this year. And I will be carrying my new "dream rifle" next year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

If the barrel is less than 8" then you can load up your 45 and use it. There is no 6 round restrictions on handguns with less than 8" barrels. I'm not aware of minimum calibers, although out of your lineup I'd only use the 45 and limit shots to bow range or less.

The 45 is a 1911...are you sure it is less than 8"...I always thought there was a minimum length requirement but like I said, I have never read the regs on it...Its never really been a thought

The 45 is a 1911...are you sure it is less than 8"...I always thought there was a minimum length requirement but like I said, I have never read the regs on it...Its never really been a thought

Yes I'm sure, there are no mag restrictions (hunting wise)for a semi automatic pistol if the barrel is less than 8", you can load 7 or 8 ( whichever you can fit in your 1911 and hunt away. I've never seen a printed minimum barrel length for pistol hunting in NYS. I'm sure they know you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors with a 3" barrel...

I just finished cleaning my rifle, lubing it, and putting it back into long-term storage.  It got the job done almost perfectly on my buck this year and I have no further use for it this season.  I got to thinking how quick and easy that is to clean compared to my ML.   At that point, I made the decision to carry my crossbow during the late ML season (if I have a DMP left, or for bear if not)., Not only is cleanup a non-issue with that, but meat damage is less and silence is nice. I will stick with just the shotgun at home for the last two weekends of regular season however (cleanup is easy on that also).    

I just finished cleaning my rifle, lubing it, and putting it back into long-term storage.  It got the job done almost perfectly on my buck this year and I have no further use for it this season.  I got to thinking how quick and easy that is to clean compared to my ML.   At that point, I made the decision to carry my crossbow during the late ML season (if I have a DMP left, or for bear if not)., Not only is cleanup a non-issue with that, but meat damage is less and silence is nice. I will stick with just the shotgun at home for the last two weekends of regular season however (cleanup is easy on that also).    

Doesn't this post contradict what you said in another thread about loosing more meat on your x bow buck then you did on your buck that you shot up the rear... you're a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk