32.4" of Snow in 72 Hrs.- Deer Hunting Intermission

CharlieNY

I live just outside of Auburn and we got hit big time with the storm- 32.4". That is just the snowfall, not counting the high winds which created 4 foot plus high drifts. What a bummer right after the start of the gun season. Going to have to take an intermission from deer hunting until some of this snow melts down. How did the rest of you get hit by the storm and how will it affect your hunting?

valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

I live just outside of Auburn and we got hit big time with the storm- 32.4". That is just the snowfall, not counting the high winds which created 4 foot plus high drifts. What a bummer right after the start of the gun season. Going to have to take an intermission from deer hunting until some of this snow melts down. How did the rest of you get hit by the storm and how will it affect your hunting?

valoroutdoors.com

OUCH!! I'm ~20 miles west of you and got 24". Though we had it bad!

Just a dusting on LI, all gone now.  High winds kept me out of the woods for Monday and the wind was suppose to calm down today but where I was it was still gusty.  Saw a few deer but in a thick area, first time so I need to check it out more, supposedly a big 13 pointer was taken from the same area.

• Like 1

Here in Allegany County the winds were incredible...but little snow. Just a perfect tracking snow. And it was a still hunter's dream. Got a nice fat doe on Sunday and a good 8 pt. today. I hunted hard in the storm and saw lots of deer, every time out.

Edited by Buckstopshere

In Stamford area any where from 8" to 2' on average 26". I am on vacation this week so I went out every day. saw 1 buck but I couldn't tell the size of him I jumped him and he went over the hill into brush. then a few does bedding down under trees. I could see from the stand. Crazy wind and no tracks any where. It beats going shopping or driving around with the wife ;) Winds are dying down tonight so I will be out tomorrow for sure. 

We did drive around on the snowmobile for a while.

18 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Here in Allegany County the winds were incredible...but little snow. Just a perfect tracking snow. And it was a still hunter's dream. Got a nice fat doe on Sunday and a good 8 pt. today. I hunted hard in the storm and saw lots of deer, every time out.

Does the bad weather affect deer moving? Let's say the rain or windy weather.