Antler restrictions

nodeerhere

I am generally against AR via a point system and way more in favor of a spread minimum. I have seen that work first hand in places like east Texas and the results are nothing short of excellent. However I am in favor of AR via points verse no restrictions at all. I would much prefer other changes in place of AR. For example a one buck limit perhunter regardless of weapon season. Also our firearms season needs to be pushed back a week later and shortened to about nine days. Both of these changes will have broader positive effects then AR. However like I said it step in the right direction.
NY Hunters have a history track record of abysmal deer management decisions when left to their own accord.

• Like 2

same as anywhere.  people who use them correctly love them.  those who don't or really don't understand them hate them.  to do a deer herd some good, you need to allow it to have an age structure most importantly and a reasonable buck to doe ratio too.  nature would assume have it this way.  it's unfair to expect your average hunter to know what a young buck is when it presents an opportunity in the field.  antler restrictions are a very common and quantitative tool to keep your average and lesser educated hunters ahead of that learning curve.
if you care about antlers then antler restrictions can realistically get you to 3.5 years old which can be up to around 80% of max potential antler growth.

you have to base restrictions on the deer in your area though and only expect realistic results.  otherwise you can get high grading, sparse opportunity, lack luster results, etc.  all that stuff isn't common place if antler restrictions are applied correctly.

if applied correctly they can work anywhere in the country, but the restrictions aren't cook book and can't just be pulled out of a hat. there's some on here that hate them and will say they're dumb or don't work.  that's fine they don't work but done right they work damn well and beyond contestation.  I'm far passed the point of arguing with people over them.  if anyone has questions about them then ask me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nodeerhere said:

And so now after doing a bit more reading I'm not so sure. One point was that the 1.5 yr old 6 or 8 point with good genetics won't make it and the 1.5 yr old 4 pt with not as good genetics will. Hmmmm now I really want to know what people think

don't default to thinking an antler restriction has to be so simple as just X number of points on one side.  spread and point restrictions are both used.  you have to look at what the deer grow in your area and know what you want to protect and why.  you can put together restrictions that aren't even close to as complicated as gross B&C score to protect all your yearling bucks without too much trickle effect protection into the next age classes.

I am against mandatory antler restrictions, but I am a pure "meat-hunter".  The only reason I pass 1-1/2 year old bucks, is because the 2-1/2's and 3-1/2's taste the same but have a lot more meat on meat on them.  I understand why those who are fixated on antlers rather than meat like them.  In NY state at this time, those folks seem to be in the minority.   I also prefer killing bucks compared to does, because they are easier for me to butcher (less fat to trim away), come with nice grab-handles to drag out of heavy cover, and nice "reminders" of past hunts.   I also prefer the local deer population to be a bit on the high side, and taking a buck over a doe is a good way to help maintain that population for future years.        

Spread   minimum..Ya that's a brilliant plan...The guy who was lucky enough to shoot the 11 pointer with 11 5/8s brow tines,that nearly caused me to pass out when so spotted him 10 yrds away.unable to stand  or breath right,let alone shoot. Well that guy would have loved this spread restriction idea....When he would have had to pass that very mature buck  who's rack was in side his ears, but up to the guys waist when he STOOD behind it holding it 's G1s for a picture :rolleyes:

Why is it people never argue size limit for fish? young fish are usually protected under the length limit to alow them to mature and procreate.

But as soon as people talk about protecting young deer it's as if you were taking there guns away.  

I personally think the best thing to come from ARs is that people have to think and identify the deer/target  before they pull the trigger. without any restrictions hunters with a pocket full of tags are more prone to taking any shot at any deer. I feel safer if people aren't willing to shoot at anything that moves. 

I practice Qdm objectives. my freezer is always full and I've got some really nice buck running around..  

I understand some hunters just want to fill a tag and go back to football.. hunting means a lot more then filling tags for me. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, BuckThornBooners said:

Why is it people never argue size limit for fish? young fish are usually protected under the length limit to alow them to mature and procreate.

But as soon as people talk about protecting young deer it's as if you were taking there guns away.  

I personally think the best thing to come from ARs is that people have to think and identify the deer/target  before they pull the trigger. without any restrictions hunters with a pocket full of tags are more prone to taking any shot at any deer. I feel safer if people aren't willing to shoot at anything that moves. 

I practice Qdm objectives. my freezer is always full and I've got some really nice buck running around..  

I understand some hunters just want to fill a tag and go back to football.. hunting means a lot more then filling tags for me. 

Lots of good points! 

I had a great encounter with a guy at the gas station Saturday night which gets to the point of anti AR argument. This guy was a bit younger probably early 20s looked in the back of my truck and saw a the doe i shot.. He congradulated me was all excited. The doe wasnt that great big, 2.5yr but after last season i was very thankful. So returning the favor he comented his was in the back of his, so being curtious i went over to look and it was a 1.5yr with 4in spike. He was beeming ear to ear showing it off. I congradulated him, and waved as I left. So whos right is it of you me or anyone else to deny this guy his current high point of his hobby by telling him he was wrong for shooting it? Dont know his story or background.. maybe hes new to the sport, maybe it was his first oppertunity at horns who knows, but he payed for his liscense he deserved to have his happiness.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 10

As at as mandatory AR's I'm not for them . Where I hunt many in the area pratice our own AR rules , I hunt a farm of a few thousand acres , although it's patchwork , many others around follow suit , some don't . It's been very good so far many more bigger bucks, newbies can still take whatever .

As far as one buck rule , only 5% of hunters take two ,so I don't see that being much help at all .

Same as shorting the gun  season the majority are shot the first few days, and I wonder if in a shorter season many who,pass earlier on young ones would,then shoot one because time is running out. Then of course we'll lose even more hunters , I know many guys who have to work Sat. Or every other week end, they need more opportunity not less .

its just deer hunting I love it but in the list of important things in my life it's pretty far down to worry about  who shoots what .

• Like 5

No I don't....I happened to be in the local gun shop and looking through the pictures for the bow contest. I had just told the owners wife about my encounter with the buck.  That it caused me to go to the Dr' s because the buck fever was so intense..complete loss of control..Well I had to go on high blood pressure meds! So I see the picture of the guy with the buck..I said this was taken in my town...She said how did you know...It's the buck..Kudo's to him  for shooting it a week later about 3 miles from the stand I was in. Just an amazing animal.