Hunt bear at old forge,Herkimer County?

Shawn1878

I heard people say there are tons of bear in old forge area. So I went there last week, I don't really know that area and I just google the state land that is around the town of old forge. (one is called Ha-De-Ron-Dah and the other one is next to Nicks Lake ). I did see some bear droppings, but  didn't see any bear, not even a deer.  It's seems like old forge is a vacation place, it's good for hikers not for hunters. Anyone hunt that area? Any idea where I should go to look for bear? 

Thanks! Good luck this season everyone!

Best regards,

--Shawn

Many of the deer and bear are in town walking down the streets and in the parking lots. Up around Nicks lake is good and there are a number of bear there. Had many a bear walk though my camp,sites over the years .

The Moose River Plains area is not far and I believe 50,000 acres . 

Neither of these spots are places one can just walk around a bit and expect to find the deer and bear. It takes work up there , one reason I don't hunt  it anymore .....

one in town the other by Nicks Lake

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn1878 said:

I heard people say there are tons of bear in old forge area. So I went there last week, I don't really know that area and I just google the state land that is around the town of old forge. (one is called Ha-De-Ron-Dah and the other one is next to Nicks Lake ). I did see some bear droppings, but  didn't see any bear, not even a deer.  It's seems like old forge is a vacation place, it's good for hikers not for hunters. Anyone hunt that area? Any idea where I should go to look for bear? 

Thanks! Good luck this season everyone!

Best regards,

--Shawn

Old Forge is a tourist area and while they do see bear quite often I wouldn't say there are "tons" of them. Like Larry302 says if you are going to hunt up there it is very hard to actually get anything. There are miles & miles of state land there but trying to pattern where deer or bear are  is like purchasing a lottery ticket. If you lived there an could spend the time you might be able to get lucky and see or shoot one but just going occasionally and not knowing the area you plan on hunting the odds of getting or seeing one is not good. Most of the deer I have seen up there especially in the winter are hanging around houses & residential neighborhoods.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Steve D said:

Old Forge is a tourist area and while they do see bear quite often I wouldn't say there are "tons" of them. Like Larry302 says if you are going to hunt up there it is very hard to actually get anything. There are miles & miles of state land there but trying to pattern where deer or bear are  is like purchasing a lottery ticket. If you lived there an could spend the time you might be able to get lucky and see or shoot one but just going occasionally and not knowing the area you plan on hunting the odds of getting or seeing one is not good. Most of the deer I have seen up there especially in the winter are hanging around houses & residential neighborhoods.

You're right, Old forge is a tourist area, seems like a nice place for snowmobile. 

On November 23, 2016 at 7:56 PM, tuckersdaddy said:

Theres a camp ground just north east of old forge... go there, rent a cabin for the weekend and leave the car unlocked... the bear will find you.... and please dont ask!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lol, I'll try it when I'm drunk.

On November 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Larry302 said:

Many of the deer and bear are in town walking down the streets and in the parking lots. Up around Nicks lake is good and there are a number of bear there. Had many a bear walk though my camp,sites over the years .

The Moose River Plains area is not far and I believe 50,000 acres . 

Neither of these spots are places one can just walk around a bit and expect to find the deer and bear. It takes work up there , one reason I don't hunt  it anymore .....

one in town the other by Nicks Lake

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cool pictures. this place sounds like a zoo, lol

I have a picture on my phone from two years back at old forge. In town just off the main strip in a yard. I managed to get close enough for a button buck to lick my forearm, so in the picture all you see is a head. I also have video of my kids chasing a family of deer across some yards and the deer would only run when they got within 20 yards or so, and by run I mean trot away; they don't care. It is like a petting zoo. A petting zoo with ticks. 

I've seen or heard bear at the campground the three times we've gone. Most recently I had a bear steal a bag of marshmallows from the back of my open van (I was packing up).  I could probably have fed it scraps like a dog (dangerous though and illegal). I couldn't begin to give advice on how to get one when actually hunting, though. If you were allowed permission to walk the old forge campground in the evening you'd have no trouble at all. Black bears just walk about the cabins as people are at their fires.

Edited by Core

The locals feed both the deer and bears resulting in a higher population close to town.

Since the state clamped down on garbage management and deer feeding though, their numbers are greatly increased. Probably the area still has a higher than average population, but where you can hunt them it will still be hunting...and bears are primarily nocturnal...find the food sources, hunt around them. Still only around 8000 bears in NY, which would mean even a higher than normal population in an area such as Old Forge is still going to be pretty scanty.

• 2 weeks later...

The "increased" bear presence around Old Forge really translates to increased bear activity or interactions, and not necessarily a higher population density, and is mostly due to the fact that there are more people and infrastructure, which gives bear greater opportunities to scavenge for food.  But like others said, it's not like they just walk around in the open in broad daylight (for the most part).  Like bear everywhere else in the state, they're generally very furtive and it takes quite a bit of luck, and skill, to find them in the big woods.

I'll also point out that much of the land around Old Forge, especially to the North, is private land, where there are limited opportunities for public-land hunters.  There are a bunch of leased hunting camps on the extensive snowmobile trails going north from the town, but you obviously can't hunt those without permission.  Your best bet would be to focus in on avenues of approach going towards the town in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness and Black River Wild Forest west of the town.  There are critters out there, but like others pointed out, this is big-woods hunting and you'll need to put quite a bit work in, prior to and during the season, to get an animal out there.

Edited by Padre86

• 2 weeks later...

This past fall the bear activity I observed in Hamilton County (state land) was notably increased over the last few years. I haven't seen this much activity since the 1970's when the towns still utilized town dumps.

I know of several area guides that train their bear hounds in the area and they all had great success and observed (treed) some really large bodied and healthy bears.

As with most wild game in the Adirondack they are difficult to pattern, very unlike game from farm like country. They're there, but you have to log miles early and find likely locations from scouting and you may have success.

I have at least 7 adult bears on my trail cam pictures but logged miles and time beginning in mid-summer to establish patterns.

Best of luck and start your scouting soon and talk with locals that know the area.

This guy here was on state land..... 

WGI_0155.JPG

Edited by Salmon_Run
added photo
  • Like 2

Hunt the big garbage dumpsters by any campgrounds for bear!! lol They aren't in the woods where you can hunt them.

The deer around town are pretty much tame. Even though illegal now many still feed them. I bit into an apple and had a doe come right up and take the apple back before feeding laws and eat out of your hand or the deer will stick there head into your open car window if you pulled over looking for a handout. I have also seen some just bomber bucks wandering in peoples lawns. Not anyplace I would want to hunt but cool to see them just the same.

They have a high population of deer that's for sure, probably has to do with the fact that no hunting is allowed in the area, one of the few area's up north where deer hunting is not allowed.  They use to feed them at the gate and often I hear of deer being taken in that area, usually from poachers. 

Bear population is probably higher in the area but to say they are all over would be an exaggeration to say the least.  Probably a few that stay in the area, just like when I see over 20 deer in a day more often than not they are the same group of deer passing me multiple times.

If you want an area with high bear population hit the dumps in North Creek area, that has a high population!  Probably not the best tasting though.

17 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

They have a high population of deer that's for sure, probably has to do with the fact that no hunting is allowed in the area, one of the few area's up north where deer hunting is not allowed.  They use to feed them at the gate and often I hear of deer being taken in that area, usually from poachers. 

Bear population is probably higher in the area but to say they are all over would be an exaggeration to say the least.  Probably a few that stay in the area, just like when I see over 20 deer in a day more often than not they are the same group of deer passing me multiple times.

If you want an area with high bear population hit the dumps in North Creek area, that has a high population!  Probably not the best tasting though.

Why do you say that there is no hunting allowed in the area?

Last time I checked their is a zone from old forge to inlet (Basically around 1st lake through 4th lake is a protected zone.)

This is taken directly from the DEC web site.

Closed Areas:

The following closed areas are specific portions of the state where the taking of deer and bear is prohibited by the Environmental Conservation Law. This section does not include areas covered by town laws, local ordinances or posting by landowners.

Albany County-Area around Alcove Reservoir: bounded by Albany County Rt. 111 from Rt. 143 to Albany-Greene County line to Albany County Rt. 411 to Rt. 143 to point of beginning. Closed except to landowners and lessees of lands in the area actually occupying and cultivating such lands.

Erie County-Area around Buffalo: bounded by Tonawanda Creek from East Branch Niagara River to Rt. 78 to Greiner Rd. to Rt. 268 to Rt. 5 to Ransom Rd. to Rt. 33 to Rt. 78 to Rt. 20 to Rt. 20A to Lake Erie.

Herkimer County-Area along Big Moose Lake: bounded by Judson Rd. from Herkimer-Hamilton County line to Higby Rd. to Big Moose Rd. to Martin Rd. and along it to its eastern end and then to the lake shore and back (starting westerly) along the shore to Herkimer-Hamilton County line and along it to Judson Rd.

Herkimer and Hamilton Counties-Area bounded by Rt. 28 from Old Forge to Inlet and by South Shore Rd. from Inlet to Old Forge.

Nassau County-All of Nassau County.

New York City-All of the city

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Last time I checked their is a zone from old forge to inlet (Basically around 1st lake through 4th lake is a protected zone.)

This is taken directly from the DEC web site.

Closed Areas:

The following closed areas are specific portions of the state where the taking of deer and bear is prohibited by the Environmental Conservation Law. This section does not include areas covered by town laws, local ordinances or posting by landowners.

Albany County-Area around Alcove Reservoir: bounded by Albany County Rt. 111 from Rt. 143 to Albany-Greene County line to Albany County Rt. 411 to Rt. 143 to point of beginning. Closed except to landowners and lessees of lands in the area actually occupying and cultivating such lands.

Erie County-Area around Buffalo: bounded by Tonawanda Creek from East Branch Niagara River to Rt. 78 to Greiner Rd. to Rt. 268 to Rt. 5 to Ransom Rd. to Rt. 33 to Rt. 78 to Rt. 20 to Rt. 20A to Lake Erie.

Herkimer County-Area along Big Moose Lake: bounded by Judson Rd. from Herkimer-Hamilton County line to Higby Rd. to Big Moose Rd. to Martin Rd. and along it to its eastern end and then to the lake shore and back (starting westerly) along the shore to Herkimer-Hamilton County line and along it to Judson Rd.

Herkimer and Hamilton Counties-Area bounded by Rt. 28 from Old Forge to Inlet and by South Shore Rd. from Inlet to Old Forge.

Nassau County-All of Nassau County.

New York City-All of the city

Yeah that's true, but that only encompasses the land immediately surrounding 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Fulton Chain Lakes.  The land to the immediate north and south of Old Forge is still open to hunting, albeit much of that is privately owned.

21 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

North has another designation that is off limits.  Around Big Moose Lake.  Stated in the post above about the DEC.

Yep, but again that is only prohibiting hunting in a specific area along Big Moose Lake.  There are pretty extensive tracts of land around Old Forge, and well away from those prohibited areas, where hunting is allowed.

• Like 2

If I walk out my camp door in Hamilton County and head into the woods I can go 75 miles and not cross any civilization. Most of it is state land and wide open in access. I grew up camping in the area and explore new "corners" to this day.

If one enjoys "big woods" hunting and fishing it's out there; and you better know how to use a compass.

I've never been lost but, dam it, have I been bewildered at times. When you learn the lay of the land the woods change season or suffer wind damage and the entire complexion looks different. There are lots of deer, bears and native brook trout to be found if you walk.

Edited by Salmon_Run
spelling error
  • Like 1