No Respect!!

bairdable

Correct me if i am wrong.I hunt state land by me and there is agroup from the adirondacks that come down and camp in 4 f zone .Where they camp i dont go in there to hunt.But they insist on driving every part of state land in the area.Me and a coyple buddies were out the first day and they pull up and park where we were park and started to drive deer..To me this is disrespectful. I would like to see what you guys think.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Its state land - open to everyone. They could claim you interfere with them.
Use them to your advantage. Set up on escape routes. Wear orange.

This is it. I like it sometimes when there's more b9ots on the ground where I hunt as I know the lay of the land better than most I'd bet. Gotta use them to do your dirty work stay 1 step ahead.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's the main reason why I don't hunt state land  . You never know who is going to show up to spoil a hunt . I havn't hunted state land in years . Like said above , it's open game . 

A friend at work asked me to hunt with him in Canasagarus (sp) . We were all set before sunrise and heard a couple of pickups dome down the road . They were dropping guys off about 50 yards apart along the road . After about a half hour the guys started walking in banging on pots / pans whatever and doing a drive . Never saw anything like this in my life . What a wasted trip for us !  Thinking about it now , these guys looked like something out of Deliverance ! Never went back there again ..... p.s. --- this was in the 60"s .

If you are hunting state land and can get back deep, typically this means at least a half mile, then you will typically see better action and if you get hunters pushing they tend to do this closer to the roads.  Like Steve stated you have to use them to your advantage. 

After this week, most state lands will be seeing a dramatic drop in hunters. The deer will calm down and move back in. Though they will be a bit spooky. They will be there. In recent years, this is how it's played out after Thanksgiving, on the state land in my area. The last two weeks of the season, is almost void of hunters. This is when most of the state lands bigger bucks are taken. This is the time for the experienced, persistent hunter to shine!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

That's the main reason why I don't hunt state land  . You never know who is going to show up to spoil a hunt . I havn't hunted state land in years . Like said above , it's open game . 

A friend at work asked me to hunt with him in Canasagarus (sp) . We were all set before sunrise and heard a couple of pickups dome down the road . They were dropping guys off about 50 yards apart along the road . After about a half hour the guys started walking in banging on pots / pans whatever and doing a drive . Never saw anything like this in my life . What a wasted trip for us !  Thinking about it now , these guys looked like something out of Deliverance ! Never went back there again ..... p.s. --- this was in the 60"s .

Yea from what i been seeing you really dont get big crowds like that anymore on state land . But its still way over hunted  compared to private property.

Was on public the other day and a guy pops up out of the  bushes directly in the direction I was hunting   and ask me if i got anything .  I was thinking we could have shot each other if a deer happen to run in between us. 

Edited by Deerstalker

1 hour ago, grampy said:

After this week, most state lands will be seeing a dramatic drop in hunters. The deer will calm down and move back in. Though they will be a bit spooky. They will be there. In recent years, this is how it's played out after Thanksgiving, on the state land in my area. The last two weeks of the season, is almost void of hunters. This is when most of the state lands bigger bucks are taken. This is the time for the experienced, persistent hunter to shine!

Hmm maybe I'll try to hit up some state lands again towards the end of reg. 

My trip to the Catskills yesterday didn't quite work out as I'd hoped. 

Is there typically a big final rush of hunters on the last weekend or does it stay dead?

5 hours ago, bairdable said:

Correct me if i am wrong.I hunt state land by me and there is agroup from the adirondacks that come down and camp in 4 f zone .Where they camp i dont go in there to hunt.But they insist on driving every part of state land in the area.Me and a coyple buddies were out the first day and they pull up and park where we were park and started to drive deer..To me this is disrespectful. I would like to see what you guys think.

I think of it as just more of a challenge to get something on public land the deer that can survive there  have to get smarter to avoid getting shot .

Any deer shot on public land is a trophy in my opinion.  

28 minutes ago, uberyan said:

Hmm maybe I'll try to hit up some state lands again towards the end of reg. 

My trip to the Catskills yesterday didn't quite work out as I'd hoped. 

Is there typically a big final rush of hunters on the last weekend or does it stay dead?

From what I see, the longer the season goes , the less hunters are out there on state lands. During the late ML/ Bow season, you may not even see another hunter. On lands that were packed with hunters on opening weekend. The deer will be there! But again these will be educated deer and no pushovers.

I only hunt public land and yes it's very frustrating at times, but... There are big bucks to be had and during archery season quite a few deer in the spots I hunt. I have never gone home empty handed during bow season. It's a matter of figuring out the land, how the deer use it and also how the hunters use it. You can't sit 100yds off of a road or trail on public land and expect noone to ruin it for you. It's inconvenient but just as others have said, cross a nasty swamp or hike it in a long ways and you'll have very seldom interruptions from other hunters, 90% of hunters out there are extremely lazy. I killed a 9pt last year and an 8pt this year with bow on state land along with 4 does. State land can be as good or better than private in some cases, it just gets a stigma attached to it for various reasons. Hunt just off a Rd during gun, expect to be another pumpkin in the patch...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bairdale,
I think it's selfish. They know that others are in the woods. They don't care about screwing up your hunt. That's the problem with people today, everyone is self serving. That land belongs to all of us, not just those guys.

A successful hunter must know when to change his or her strategy and adapt accordingly. It is state land and we all have a right to be there. Hunt it one way during bow season, and next year for the gun opener, use other hunters to your advantage. Get a topo map of the area and hunt an escape route. It may be deep in the woods, or it may even be close to the road where the drivers enter on a main trail. Mature deer have seen this before and many times will double back instead of doing what we want them to do. It may be disrespectful to deliberately ruin someone else's hunt, but I don't think that is the case. Those other hunters are just using a different technique, which can be very rewarding for some especially when the weather is not cooperating. 

• Like 1

Back in the old days, it was those drivers that went through the thickest crap where still-hunting simply too noisy to be practical. Even trying to get through these rose-infested thickets to set up a stand is not practical without alerting every deer hunkered down in there for the day. It was the big drives that dislodged the deer out of their hidey-holes where otherwise the deer would have been content to stay until dark.

So now that most of these big outfits have all dissolved, after opening morning you have the deer that are hunkered down in these impenetrable thickets for the day, and the hunters that are hunkered down for the day, and absolutely no deer moving, and the dead quiet, and boring silence of nothing going on at all.

Yeah, the big drives can be a bit dangerous with some of the sloppy set-ups and execution. And I eventually got away from participating myself because I didn't always feel that some of the snap-shooting that went on were safe enough to suit me. I eventually started paying attention to where these big drives would always set up, and then I would get into a position to take advantage of the deer that always squirted out the sides of these thickets and took off up the hill. We may not have had as many deer back then, but the deer did move all day. But since the demise of the big traveling drives, I have also noted entire days going by without hearing a shot from me or anyone else in the entire valley and valleys beyond. That's not a real nice or interesting way to spend the day either.

• Like 5

I stopped hunting in ninham mountain in Putnam not because of other hunters but because of hikers and mountain bikers. On more than one occasion I was well back from any main trails well before first light and during that magic hour I have mountain bikers come flying through. Some stop and question if hunting is allowed.

I also had negative experience with families hiking with their dogs off leash, NO BRIGHT COLORS WORN. I just never felt comfortable after hearing what I thought was a deer just over a ridge and having a golden lab pop over the crest. When I suggested to the family that followed the dog to put some blaze on him for his protection they argued that they shouldn't need to do that and they have every right to be there and hunting is wrong and and and.... that was enough for me to go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I stopped hunting in ninham mountain in Putnam not because of other hunters but because of hikers and mountain bikers. On more than one occasion I was well back from any main trails well before first light and during that magic hour I have mountain bikers come flying through. Some stop and question if hunting is allowed.

I also had negative experience with families hiking with their dogs off leash, NO BRIGHT COLORS WORN. I just never felt comfortable after hearing what I thought was a deer just over a ridge and having a golden lab pop over the crest. When I suggested to the family that followed the dog to put some blaze on him for his protection they argued that they shouldn't need to do that and they have every right to be there and hunting is wrong and and and.... that was enough for me to go elsewhere.

I have hunted there before  but only when its really cold keeps the hikers away  and not weekends . I go in the parts of the park hikers bikers dont go . Places like that only good when the weather is bad .

Snow rain or cold weather . 

Edited by Deerstalker

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Ah that sucks to hear. I was thinking of hunting there towards the end of rifle. Any experience slightly north with big buck?

Well I understand how you feel but I'm not sure it's selfish . Back in the day we sat the first and last hour and a half , the rest we drove every farm wood lot, creek bottom and swamp , everyone did. Like Doc  said the deer were on their feet all day long.

Now many of our drives could take an hour or more to set up and drive.  The watchers would set up on one or two woods the deer would run to , often these spots were 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the driven woods.

10 to 12 guys setting up on two woods ,driving  third , walks in to the woods of 300 yards across muddy fields . Sometimes we'd find a guy sitting in a tree stand in the driven woods. Should 12 guys who,just spent 1/2 hour setting up all back out because of one ? 

It happend to me more times then I can count ( me being the one  in a tree stand) I'd either join them or wait for the deer to run by .

ive shot a number of deer off others drives . I really miss  those days . Not the walking in all,those muddy farm fields though .....

• Like 1