How does this happen ?

the blur

Everyone is speculating as to what happened....Unless this is outright murder...the facts are accidents happen...Tragic accidents happen...Most accidents are the result of a momentary lapse in judgment. There is a 24 year old that shot his father on Thanksgiving. Can you imagine the grief of that kid and the family. My prayers go out to them.

52 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

I see guys at 4 am all ready in the woods on public land im suprised they dont change that so your not even aloud to enter the woods until sunrise . 

Oh for heaven's sake. SMFH

Trying to Legislate stupidity out of people. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

I see guys at 4 am all ready in the woods on public land im suprised they dont change that so your not even aloud to enter the woods until sunrise . 

Sometimes I just go out at sun up just because....and I get to my stand and see deer. I'm fortunate to have the Rod and Gun property to hunt...usually no problems with stray hunters, but I have my orange on. just to be safe. 

12 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

More like if you know your hunting  friends are idiots either teach them  firearm safty or hunt with out them .

Agree, a few have asked me how this happens . I simply say a certin percentage of people are idiots , and some of them hunt .

You can almost see he light come on.

• Like 1

let me say this . Deer do not look like people whether they wear orange or not I hunt in full camo because i dont want people to get object fixation. you will never be able to spot me in your scope. look my hunting buddies do not wear orange either,and I have never mistaken them for deer . it is just bizarre to me that this EXCUSE and nothing more than an excuse for being a retard . and I do know that the people who hunt on adjacent land  do not hunt in orange.400 500 600 800 yards and i can still tell a deer from a human or a coyote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vizslas said:

let me say this . Deer do not look like people whether they wear orange or not I hunt in full camo because i dont want people to get object fixation. you will never be able to spot me in your scope. look my hunting buddies do not wear orange either,and I have never mistaken them for deer . it is just bizarre to me that this EXCUSE and nothing more than an excuse for being a retard . and I do know that the people who hunt on adjacent land  do not hunt in orange.400 500 600 800 yards and i can still tell a deer from a human or a coyote.

I have never been concerned about me mistaking a person for a deer. When I venture onto state land though, the thought about  a hunter in full camo all tucked into the background does cross my mind. Following all the rules of hunting and firearms handling, I could take a shot with a very good backstop and have my life change becasue of the fully camo'd hunter. my 2 cents

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vizslas said:

I think your respect for others' competence is higher than it should be. Just because a person doesn't look like a deer to you doesn't mean it doesn't to others (or you like one to them). The fact is over the years thousands across the country have been shot at out of simple negligence by people who saw a large mass moving and although they couldn't really tell it was a deer or a person they were so amped up over killing a deer that they shot. Then, oh crap, that was in fact a deer.

These people are not shooting a person standing in a low cut field at 50 yards in bright light. It's a "mass" when it's gloomy or far away or their cataracts are acting up or whatever.

Actually just the other night I was in my stand and I saw a large mass move at 100 yards away and I can tell you for a small fraction of a second I thought there is a damn deer! Before the end of that second had finished my mind next reminded me that deer are not covered in 50% blaze orange.

You know all the idiotic parents who should be in jail for leaving their kids in hot cars? The truth is a lot of those people are not idiots. Bad things and accidents happen. Orange will definitely diminish the odds of being shot. I can pick out a flicker of the stuff at insane distances.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 10:36 AM, the blur said:

I'm considering buying full orange blaze.   Head to toe.

I've seen guys like that but I have to think the deer can see it easier. Even if they only see a gray or something, it's still a uniform single mass. I think a blaze hat plus blaze gloves is not bad, a vest would be ideal, but it is difficult to imagine a person with a camo/orange only upper body getting shot at. Because that is a lot of orange.

1 hour ago, Core said:

I've seen guys like that but I have to think the deer can see it easier. Even if they only see a gray or something, it's still a uniform single mass. I think a blaze hat plus blaze gloves is not bad, a vest would be ideal, but it is difficult to imagine a person with a camo/orange only upper body getting shot at. Because that is a lot of orange.

They most definitely can. Deer can't see color we know that but they can see contrasts very well. That bright orange contrasts to the dark background so much that they can pick out that bright blob that wasn't there the previous day. When we planted new trees we used put up some stakes with bright orange fabric and reflective Mylar strips to keep animals away. It worked very well. I would recommend to anyone to wear an orange vest going to and from your hunting area and wearing at least a orange hat when sitting in a stand. If I were still hunting on the ground I would wear a vest the entire time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

They most definitely can. Deer can't see color we know that but they can see contrasts very well. That bright orange contrasts to the dark background so much that they can pick out that bright blob that wasn't there the previous day. When we planted new trees we used put up some stakes with bright orange fabric and reflective Mylar strips to keep animals away. It worked very well. I would recommend to anyone to wear an orange vest going to and from your hunting area and wearing at least a orange hat when sitting in a stand. If I were still hunting on the ground I would wear a vest the entire time.

Seems smart. I bet somebody has been shot out of a tree stand by accident before, by somebody thinking it was a deer (I guess one that can climb), but it's not as important, surely.

I've heard some laundry detergents will add reflective pigments that we cannot see but deer can (could be more "internet hunting lore", though). You've also just explained why a farmer near my house has always hunt aluminum pans over his crop. I guess the reflections are there to annoy deer.

I tried to find a video I saw years ago that showed blaze orange through a deer's eyes. it also used solid colors of shirts and pants. they all about looked the same. But Chas is right. any big blob or Color(a scale of gray to a deer's eyes) will show up easier to a deer against a muddled background of the woods. When I have my vest on in the stand I am very aware of things like raising my camo'd covered arms or turning quickly. In that video reference earlier I remember the hunter having a vest on and turning and it looked like a flashing gray light. like it was blinking. solid there. solid gone. solid there solid gone. food for thought. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I tried to find a video I saw years ago that showed blaze orange through a deer's eyes. it also used solid colors of shirts and pants. they all about looked the same. But Chas is right. any big blob or Color(a scale of gray to a deer's eyes) will show up easier to a deer against a muddled background of the woods. When I have my vest on in the stand I am very aware of things like raising my camo'd covered arms or turning quickly. In that video reference earlier I remember the hunter having a vest on and turning and it looked like a flashing gray light. like it was blinking. solid there. solid gone. solid there solid gone. food for thought. 

Dont move and they dont notice you its your movement that they are spotting or smell or sounds 

42 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Its movement they pick up not the color 

How this happens is stupidity!  Most of these accidents are preventable.  Many times you will find the person that was shot was in full BO or at least the upper body was covered.  It kind of makes me wonder if these colors are attracting peoples eyes to the spot.  I am not against BO but to say this will keep you and everyone in NY protected is just kidding yourself. 

Simply put we have some idiots that hunt and nothing not even BO will protect you from them!  Be safe and careful, I hope this is the last issue we hear about this year!

I think we should have a law that states if you fire any weapon at an intended target that was suppose to be game and it turns out to be a person, NOT GAME you should be sent to jail for a minimum of 10 years.  Not the same as a deflection or someone in the line of fire or accidental discharge.  If you identify game to shoot and shoot it then that game is a person you should go to JAIL!!!

• Like 1