How does this happen ?

the blur

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

They most definitely can. Deer can't see color we know that but they can see contrasts very well. That bright orange contrasts to the dark background so much that they can pick out that bright blob that wasn't there the previous day. When we planted new trees we used put up some stakes with bright orange fabric and reflective Mylar strips to keep animals away. It worked very well. I would recommend to anyone to wear an orange vest going to and from your hunting area and wearing at least a orange hat when sitting in a stand. If I were still hunting on the ground I would wear a vest the entire time.

Did that work over time i would imagine once the  deer get used to the mylar strips and the smell of it  that will not stop them .

1 hour ago, Deerstalker said:

Did that work over time i would imagine once the  deer get used to the mylar strips and the smell of it  that will not stop them .

They would get used to it after about 2 weeks, once we kept moving them around the trees they avoided them. We found the addition of Irish springs bar soap also helped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

Any movement to a deer means Danger thats all it take for them to spook especially if it comes from an unnatural shape

I don't think any movement :) Trees with leaves they are used to; that's really the point of camo so that if they do see you move it still blends in a bit better with the environment. 

12 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have never been concerned about me mistaking a person for a deer. When I venture onto state land though, the thought about  a hunter in full camo all tucked into the background does cross my mind. Following all the rules of hunting and firearms handling, I could take a shot with a very good backstop and have my life change becasue of the fully camo'd hunter. my 2 cents

look besides being fixated on by some nut job with a rifle and a scope I dont want to be seen. I do not hunt state land. but i do hunt several county's and some of them include rifle zones.I havent worn my orange in over ten years. Nice coat i paid a couple hundred bucks for it.

7 hours ago, vizslas said:

look besides being fixated on by some nut job with a rifle and a scope I dont want to be seen. I do not hunt state land. but i do hunt several county's and some of them include rifle zones.I havent worn my orange in over ten years. Nice coat i paid a couple hundred bucks for it.

And that's why we need a blaze orange law. There really are people in the woods who seem to need protection from themselves.....lol. Probably the same kind of people who use their firearms to warn people off their land. There seems to be some pervasive contempt for the principles of safety that some people take a weird perverse pleasure in having. It's kind of like taking pride in defying safety. I don't really understand such attitudes, but having such people in the deer hunting woods may be yet another reason why the hunter numbers are on the decline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

And that's why we need a blaze orange law. There really are people in the woods who seem to need protection from themselves.....lol. Probably the same kind of people who use their firearms to warn people off their land. There seems to be some pervasive contempt for the principles of safety that some people take a weird perverse pleasure in having. It's kind of like taking pride in defying safety. I don't really understand such attitudes, but having such people in the deer hunting woods may be yet another reason why the hunter numbers are on the decline.

I have been hunting for 40 + years. and never once have i even been close to shooting any one but i have been close to slugs hitting trees near me. Yet today i was on my hands and knees in full camo crawling through the brush trying to push deer to my buddy that was about 80 yards up the woods in a ladder stand.Now if you think that was stupid and careless and you would not do what i did then maybe you should check yourself and your hunting partners and do a little reflecting, some soul searching. whats the matter people don't you trust your buddies with your lives . if you don't  get some new friends. good luck and shoot straight  and for heavens sake don't shoot anything that not a deer. you guys sound like a bunch a scared kids afraid of their own shadows. and as far as hunter numbers go we all know that government mind control beef is so easy to get . why shoot a deer when you can have a big mac. Kids are lazy . why go to the woods when you can bring the woods to your television... and shoot monster bucks and get immediate satisfaction. There is no time in peoples lives already who has time to go hunt.. there are so many reasons why hunter numbers are declining. two day course holy crap i don't think i would have bothered if that was the case when i was a kid. the hunter safety course was only about four hours in Pennsylvania  then the one i took here was in a guys basement again only a couple hours.it takes years to learn the art of hunting no one has that time anymore. and anyway so what .All that means is there are less idiots in the woods.. but not where i hunt i walked by two guys this morning wearing some orange and no shit they didnt shoot me. still feeling safe in my camo after all these years. so do we need laws and more laws. Lets regulate everything we possibly can.so that the government can have more of our money and scared folks will feel safe in the woods.holy crap this shit is bizarre. i am going to sell my orange coat

17 minutes ago, vizslas said:

I have been hunting for 40 + years. and never once have i even been close to shooting any one but i have been close to slugs hitting trees near me. Yet today i was on my hands and knees in full camo crawling through the brush trying to push deer to my buddy that was about 80 yards up the woods in a ladder stand.Now if you think that was stupid and careless and you would not do what i did then maybe you should check yourself and your hunting partners and do a little reflecting, some soul searching. whats the matter people don't you trust your buddies with your lives . if you don't  get some new friends. good luck and shoot straight  and for heavens sake don't shoot anything that not a deer. you guys sound like a bunch a scared kids afraid of their own shadows. and as far as hunter numbers go we all know that government mind control beef is so easy to get . why shoot a deer when you can have a big mac. Kids are lazy . why go to the woods when you can bring the woods to your television... and shoot monster bucks and get immediate satisfaction. There is no time in peoples lives already who has time to go hunt.. there are so many reasons why hunter numbers are declining. two day course holy crap i don't think i would have bothered if that was the case when i was a kid. the hunter safety course was only about four hours in Pennsylvania  then the one i took here was in a guys basement again only a couple hours.it takes years to learn the art of hunting no one has that time anymore. and anyway so what .All that means is there are less idiots in the woods.. but not where i hunt i walked by two guys this morning wearing some orange and no shit they didnt shoot me. still feeling safe in my camo after all these years. so do we need laws and more laws. Lets regulate everything we possibly can.so that the government can have more of our money and scared folks will feel safe in the woods.holy crap this shit is bizarre. i am going to sell my orange coat

^^^^^^^

Darwin award candidate

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, aqua750 said:

does anyone know if the father died of the gun shot or did the son field dress dad after the little accident 

Absolutely uncalled for and not appropriate.  I had a naciuos feeling in my stomach.  That's someone's son, father, husband, friend.  For this to happen within a family is so much more traumatic.  I'm not sure you could ever really recover from this.  Try to have a little empathy.

On November 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, wooly said:

I remember an archery hunt I was on about 10 years or more ago.

As I was walking out from my blind, I spotted two deer browsing along an overgrown goldenrod edge of the trail along a creek about 30-40yds away.

I kneeled down and nocked an arrow.

A short time later, I noticed the tall weeds along the edge moving in the direction of the trail where I would be able to get a shot around 20yds where it would step out to cross.

JUST as the deer was about 2 steps from making himself visible I drew my bow in anticipation of the shot...... BUT nothing ever stepped out. It was like it had vanished into thin air.

I stayed still for a while before I decided to stalk my way closer.

I approached where the deer would step out and looked around but didn't see anything in or along the edge.

When I turned to walk away there was a giant snapping turtle laying on the trail that was the culprit knocking down all the weeds pretending to be an approaching deer.

Sometimes your mind fills in the blanks when anticipation is building. We need to be aware of the fact that even though we are aware of safety procedures, none of us are immune to making mistakes in judgement while afield. The most dangerous hunter IMO is the guy that thinks he's not capable of misidentifying his intended target or having a poor judgement moment.

All of this but especially the last part. People who think they are above it all scare the hell out if me.

Also, father/son is terrible but family/hunting buddy is the norm in accidental hunting shootings.

Edited by paulskodabow

16 hours ago, aqua750 said:

does anyone know if the father died of the gun shot or did the son field dress dad after the little accident 

I actually laughed a little...this (a joke) offends me less than immediately assuming it was a premeditated patricide.

Edited by paulskodabow

22 hours ago, aqua750 said:

@aqua750. i almost wet my pants ... you just have to love good humor....... the drag would have been much easier if he did.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Language. Please see the forum TOS

I'm quickly losing what respect I had for some of you. I sincerely hope that none of you have something as traumatic as that happen to a member of your family, but if it does I hope that you run across people on the internet making fun of the situation in as a disgusting manor as you are doing now. Just so you get a tatste if your own medicine. 

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:05 AM, vizslas said:

@aqua750. i almost wet my pants ... you just have to love good humor....... the drag would have been much easier if he did.

You two need to get a grip on reality, nothing at all funny about loosing a member of our hunting community especially when it happens this way.  Shame on you both!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

You two need to get a grip on reality, nothing at all funny about loosing a member of our hunting community especially when it happens this way.  Shame on you both!!!

Shout out to the Smith Town Bulls Long Island NY